Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Excess coax-- what do you do with it...?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Default Excess coax-- what do you do with it...?

I am looking for advise on what to do with excessive coax. I am remodeling and will be moving my shack 40' from it's current location in a few weeks. I just put up my new antenna's and I don't want to cut my 150' coax. In the mean time, I have a 50' puddle of coax all over the floor. I have searched Excess coax, extra coax and coax in the forums and come up empty, I apologize if I missed a post.

Coax is RG8X

Antenna are G5RV and an Eagle One.

Thanks!!!

Michael K4NOG

Obviously unused coax adds some loss that isn't doing you any good; however if you don't care about that, why not just neatly coil it up (a good diameter is 18" or so), and tie-wrap the coil so it remains neat? This can reside behind the equipment in the shack, or outside where you don't have to look at it.

If you don't want it on the floor, coil it neatly and hang it on a hook behind the equipment.

Coiling the coax does no harm in any way except to add the loss of the cable used.

Hello OM

look up losses for 150 ft of RG8X
    look up losses for 110 ft of RG8X

RG8X is not exactly low loss cable

if you hang out on higher bands
    say 10 or 12 meters
    cut your losses

cut it

if you hang out on lower bands
    it does not matter that much

not like RG8X is that expensive
    use the extra cable to make up jumper cables

if it was my station
    would cut out the excess coax
    in a New York min

yours truly
    mac

I would use part of the excess cable to make a choke balun.
    Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Coiling the coax does no harm in any way except to add the loss of the cable used.
    That is true. I hear that by having stacks of extra coax, you will find your SWR improving, which means that you get more signal out into the air. That might be wrong of course I understand that SWR is God in many circles.

As for any spare cable after the coax balun is made. I would cut it off. If in the future you should wish to extend your existing cable. You can always get connectors to do it.

Trish

Quote Originally Posted by K4NOG View Post

The G5RV operates the coax with standing waves, and there is benefit in using the shortest coax.

Do you use the Eagle One with an ATU at the base, say an AH4, SGC237 etc, or do you use their 4:1 balun idea?

Owen

Quote Originally Posted by G8DZC View Post
    I hear that by having stacks of extra coax, you will find your SWR improving, which means that you get more signal out into the air. That might be wrong of course...
    Yes Trish, that is usually wrong.

Increasing the length of the line increases line loss, and it does decrease the VSWR looking into the line, but in most cases it will result in less radiated power.

In some unusual cases, the lower VSWR might just result in higher transmitter output power that more than offsets the increased line loss, but it is unlikely.

Owen

Ridgecrest, California - Kern County - Grid DM15dp - 65 miles west of Bad Water, Death Valley N.P.

WB2WIK is correct that it can be coiled up and stashed behind the desk but given the fact that it is RG8X and most RG8X coax is not premium quality anyway, if it were me, I'd cut the excess off and use it for jumpers, etc. Of course if it were me, I would not be using RG8X anyway, but then that's just me.

A true G5RV design is optimized for 20M and has to be matched on other bands so there is already losses from that so by limiting the coax length, you'll help reduce losses in both RX and TX.

Just my $0.02 worth.

A big coil of coax is not a good idea. It is not going to help any thing. The losses during TX do not make it to the antenna but can cause rf problems in the aria every thing from interference with other electronics to rf burns from metallic objects. On the receive end you just lose signal strength. Coax ends are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by K4NOG View Post
    I am looking for advise on what to do with excessive coax. I am remodeling and will be moving my shack 40' from it's current location in a few weeks. I just put up my new antenna's and I don't want to cut my 150' coax. In the mean time, I have a 50' puddle of coax all over the floor. I have searched Excess coax, extra coax and coax in the forums and come up empty, I apologize if I missed a post.

Coax is RG8X

Thanks!!!

Michael K4NOG
    Coil it up outside just before it gets into the house, unless you never ever will need it that long ever again.

If you are sure that is where stuff is going to stay, shorten it.

As Owen says...with a G5RV you want the cable as short as possible while still having a nice routing.

If a pretty permanent antenna and coax run, I cut it to length. If something kinda temporary and subject to change, I try to leave the excess (unless the excess is excessive ) coiled up outside by where my cables enter the house.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast