ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default FLDIGI problem

I've recently run into a problem with FLDIGI RIGCAT. I run FLDIGI on a 2.8ghz P4 Dell Latitude Laptop with 1gb RAM and Windows XP Pro. My rig is a Kenwood TS140S with a PIEXX aftermarket CAT control card. The laptop has on serial ports, so I've been using a Belkin USB to Serial adapter. I've been using this setup for over a year and had no problems at all until the last few months or so when I'd notice that for a second, FLDIGI would lose contact with the rig and then get it back again.

Last week, I had a problem where FLDIGI would lose contact the rig and I'd have to reinitialize and now, FLDIGI will not work with rig control at all. I bought a new interface of a different brand and that didn't help.

The weird part about it is I also have Ham Radio Deluxe on the laptop and it has not had any problems interfacing with the rig using either USB to Serial adapter.

Here is an exerpt from the log file FLDIGI gives me now that it isn't accessing the rig. It just keeps retrying without success.

: log_excluded_modes: RSID (tx) : CW BPSK31 RTTY
    Q: log_excluded_modes: CWID : CW
    Q: log_excluded_modes: VIDEOID : CW BPSK31 RTTY
    I: testCommPorts: Found serial port COM3
    I: testCommPorts: Found serial port COM4
    W: rigCAT_getfreq: Retries failed

I: open_talker: Talker Server not available
    I: speak: Talker server not available
    W: rigCAT_getmode: Retries failed

E: ConfigurePortA: Port not available
    E: OpenPort: Could not configure port
    E: sendCommand: Write error 0
    WW: rigCAT_getmode: Retries failed
    : rigCAT_getfreq: Retries failed
    E: ConfigurePortA: GetCommState error on COM4
    E: ConfigurePortA: GetCommState error on COM4

I originally thought hardware problem, but when HRD worked fine, that made me wonder if something else is going on here. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

Looks like a comport error. Check the comport setting hrd against the ones in fldigi.
    Any time you unplug a serial to usb adaptor and then plug back in you get a new comport number.
    You can check what the settings are in device manager. Finally reinstall fldigi

Quote Originally Posted by KC9QVL View Post
    Looks like a comport error. Check the comport setting hrd against the ones in fldigi.
    Any time you unplug a serial to usb adaptor and then plug back in you get a new comport number.
    You can check what the settings are in device manager. Finally reinstall fldigi
    I kind of figured it was a problem communicating with the com ports, but couldn't figure out why. It was odd to me that it would work for over a year then stop working.

I just got it working again and here is what I did. I first backed up my log file and then uninstalled both versions of FLDIGI I had on my system, and uninstalled FLRIG as well. The next thing I did was I took the fldigi.files directory that has configuration information in it and copied it to another location on the hard drive and renamed it. I then used CCleaner to remove all traces of FLDIGI from the registry and the system the rebooted.

I then reinstalled the latest version of FLDIGI and imported the logs. When I tried to use RIGCAT, it still didn't work. However, out of desperation, I tried HamLib, which has a beta version of a control mode for the TS-140S and it worked. I had tried using HAMLIB before and all it did was lock up the software. For now, it's working, hopefully it will keep working. Still, I wonder why RIGCAT would work for over a year and then stop. Makes no sense. Hopefully it will keep working.

Thanks for responding.

Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA