ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc

Default heathkit hd 11 Q multiplier?

i have a question on this little piece of equipment. i may have a chance at picking one up cheap and was wondering how difficult would it be to connect to my Heathkit HW 101? i have done a little research and i know what it is used for and have been told it is a helpful piece to have. has anyone used one here and how much work to get it hooked up?

thanks paul
    Ding dong the Rag chews dead.
    Glad to see the huge sigs gone

CRK:

No way to reasonably modify the HD-11 (or the QF-1 or GD-125) to use with the HW-101. The HD-11 is set up for use with i.f. frequencies between 450 kHz and 460 kHz whereas the HW-101 has an i.f. frequency of 3395 kHz.

The HD-11 is the same as the QF-1 except that it has a built in power supply rather than "robbing" the power from the receiver.

When used with 455 kHz i.f. receivers the Q-Multiplier works very well. There was an article in the ARRL Hints & Kinks Manual during the late 1950s telling how to rewire the QF-1 to change the "broad" position to a variable bandpass. I made that modification (which takes no additional parts) to the QF-1 that I used with my original Hallicrafters S-85 receiver. In the variable bandpass position the bandwidth could be varied from under 100 Hz to well over 8 kHz.

Glen, K9STH

thank you for the info glen. i have been at work these last two nights and it tends to get in the way of looking a lot of this stuff up...lol

thnks paul
    kb2crk

By the way, I keep threatening to connect one of my Heath QF-1 Q-Multipliers (I have several) to one of my Collins 75S-1 receivers. The other one has the Waters Q-Multiplier installed. The 75S-1 and 75S-2, as well as the KWM-2 series, have an RCA jack already connected for using one. The Waters only works as a rejection control and the 75S-3- series receivers came from the factory with a Q-multiplier as a rejection control. Using one of the Heath Q-Multipliers definitely improves the performance of a "stock" 75S-1 or 75S-2.

I also really need to modify one to have the variable bandpass and then connect it to my present Hallicrafters S-85 which is part of the re-creation of my 2nd primary station (Heath DX-100 and Hallicrafters S-85).

Glen, K9STH

i used to have a kwm 2. i miss that radio. my hw101 works great but i could use a little help with adjacent frequency interference. one day i will get another kwm2 so i could have my 2 favorite radios side by side in the shack.
    a hw101 was my first hf rig and a kwm 2 was my second. the kenwood ts570dg is my third and my current hw101 is #4.