Callsign
ad: vanity
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A different kind of mobile 2m antenna.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters

Quote Originally Posted by KB4QAA View Post
    How about putting a magmount out on the hood! (if you aren't driving a cab-over).
    Most truck bodies are made or Aluminum and/or Plastic. The hoods are usually plastic.
    Steve
    Macomb, IL

Quote Originally Posted by KF5GCL View Post
    I have wondered about that. Are you suggesting that it won't work better than a conventional antenna, or that it won't work at all? What's the story on that?
    It works as advertised which is as a dipole, it has some gain over a 1/4 ground plane. If you were to place the 1/2 wave 2 meter antenna over a ground plane it would become a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna at 4 meters!

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

1.6 million? Time for an oil change.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by KA9MOT View Post
    Yeah because all VHF/UHF antennas work so well when surrounded by steel! NOT!!!!
    seems to me most tankers don't have sleepers and the trailer is not as close to the cab as a 53' Box. depending on where the 5th wheel is set. But no one was talking to you!
    Last edited by K9ASE; 12-29-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Wrong idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by K9ASE View Post
    seems to me most tankers don't have sleepers and the trailer is not as close to the cab as a 53' Box. depending on where the 5th wheel is set. But no one was talking to you!

IT's a PUBLIC FORUM.....You are talking to everybody.

Go buy an Antenna Book. You have allot to learn. Your reason for editing is listed as, "Wrong Idiot". Go look in a mirror. You haven't been a Ham for even a year yet, and with your medical condition you've never driven a big truck. You have little knowledge of either subject.

While it is true, his tractor (That is the part in the front) may not have a sleeper, and there may be 300 inches (an exaggeration) between the rear of the tractor (the front part) and the trailer (That is the long part in the back) the VHF/UHF antenna is still going to be surrounded by metal plus it would only be 4 feet off the ground.

Since you are qualified to call people idiots, try to explain to me (The right idiot) how that is going to work.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings when I scoffed your advice...bad advice is bad advice and you should at least make an effort to understand the subject before you give advice....Don't get mad, when somebody points out that you are mistaken.
    Steve
    Macomb, IL

Arrow

some thoughts...
    can you not find a mount for the door like a lip mount?
    and mount it to the top of the door frame

I did this once to a lip mount and bent the mount so it was at a 10 deg pitch, it worked fine as there are 2 Alan set screws
    that binded to the metal door frame for good ground connection i then thattached it to the passengers side door and also
    installed some of the weather insulation fome... worked really good.

also if you ran a ground wire from the radio chassie to ground somewhere in the cab the radio would then be grounded.

Another idea would be to find one of them Large rear earth magnets and then put the mag mount on the center of the Alu. roof
    and locate the mag mount via the rear earth magnet, your need to find the North and south poles so they attracted and not
    propel each other, being so strong in flux the mag mount wont move. look at the hussler 5/8th wave antenna i think its 54
    inch whip and none taped to ground I use one of them my self, but not only for 2 meters use, it can be used on 6 meters
    as well as it is pretty close to a 1/4 wave electrical length for 6 meters.

hope this helps 73 good luck.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old Because We Stop Playing.
    Never Be The First To Get Old

Any System Is Only As Good As Its Weakest Component.
    Web Link:
    [URL]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K4EEZ/[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by AC0FP View Post
    Several manufacturers make a "no ground plane" 1/2 wave length antenna for 2 meters, I think MaxRad makes some.
    I have one actually! Maxrad MDA-1501, it's an all aluminum vertical dipole. It has a little arm which clamps onto whatever you like. Mine is mounted on a brick chimney and needs no ground plane.

If you mounted this on your mirror arm, someone reaching out from the window could grab it... not the best situation but I bet the performance would be amazing.

Norman
    I knew a driver in KY the pulled gas tank. He mounted his antenna in the middle on top of the trailer near the cupola. He put it on the grab rail .It seemed to work for him.

I use a Diamond quad band on my right mirror .Freightliner.Century. . works very well for me.

KB0YYO
    Gordon
    Last edited by KB0YYO; 12-29-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge.

Never under any circumstances,take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Cats know your every thought.
    They don't care,
    but they know.

Quote Originally Posted by KF5GCL View Post
    I have wondered about that. Are you suggesting that it won't work better than a conventional antenna, or that it won't work at all? What's the story on that?
    ANY vertical antenna always works better, to some extent, when mounted over an adequate groundplane. Sometimes the difference is large, sometimes unimportant, but there is always a difference. Even a half wave antenna requires a ground of some type to push current up into the antenna.

Also, a sleeve over the coax will NOT take coaxial line shield currents to zero. The is because the sleeve to coax impedance at the open end is not infinite. People mostly kid themselves when they fold a braid back over the cable and pretend it is an effective isolation device.

I expect the mirror is a better ground than you think.

73 Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2