ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG

Talking Behringer mixer set up

Hello guys, I just received a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer that I will be using with my Yaesu FT-847 and the MD-100 desk microphone and I'm a littlle lost on how to connect everything together in order to make work. If you guys have any knowledge on this please post any comments. Thanks for the help, 73's
    :cool:Persecula Seculorum:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by WP4OGH View Post
    Hello guys, I just received a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer that I will be using with my Yaesu FT-847 and the MD-100 desk microphone and I'm a littlle lost on how to connect everything together in order to make work. If you guys have any knowledge on this please post any comments. Thanks for the help, 73's
    Hello. I think the 847 has an IF of 2.4kHz, so you're not going to be able to improve the audio too much from just the stock mic I would think, but if you want to play with it some, then what you'll do is go like this :

MD100 -> Mixer -> Audio Attenuator -> FT-847

The MD100 will go into one of the unbalanced inputs on the 802 Mixer. Audio + to center, and Audio - to GND. When you get that connected, you can put headphones on the headphone output of the mixer and then play with the low, mid, and high controls until you get the sound the way you want it. I prefer to sound like I do in person, so that is my goal.

When you get that set, you will need to attenuate the mixer output before going into the rig, so you may need to either order or build something. Here's a link to a great attenuator.

http://www.w3oz.com/v1new%20murfbox.htm

Then from the attenuator, you just go into the FT-847.

The thing is if you're looking for "Hi-Fi SSB", the 847 is limited by the IF bandwidth.

Maybe someone more experienced with an FT-847 will chime in. Good luck!

Hey William thanls for the comment I forgot to say that I also have a Behringer Ultra DI D120 box which is to convert unbalanced mics to balanced so that might help a lil bit more

Wink

*Keep the mic balanced into the mixer with a balanced mic cable. If your mic isn't an XLR type plug; you can always upgrade to a Shure, ElectroVoice, or Heil mic. You can even run a condenser mic with the phantom power available on your mixer. A MXL 990 can be had for $60 new - and will sound astonishing.

*The attenuator will come after the mixer output. Chances are - it isn't balance in or out. Keep it balanced to keep noise and RF out if at all possible!

*The output of the attenuator may then be routed to the back of the radio thru the ACC2 plug.

*You will have to get with your manual to find the correct mic pinout on the ACC2 plug. This will bypass the radio's mic preamp and access the balanced modulator directly. Makes for much better audio. It is best to keep everything in a balanced state if possible. Some radios, like Icoms, have a balanced ACC2 port. The 'push to talk' pins will also be there. Should be - anyway.

On my Kenwood TS-2000, I don't use an attenuator and run the output of my Behringer mic preamp straight into the ACC2 plug. Use cable with the best shielding to keep out RF feedback loops to a minimum. Mogami cable is the BEST!
    Last edited by KI6USW; 12-16-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.” Groucho Marx[/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by KI6USW View Post
    you can always upgrade to a ... ElectroVoice... mic.
    Them Electrovoice mics are junky sounding on my Ten Tec, I only use mics from TT...

Rege

P.S. Yes, I know!
    Now my mistakes travel at the speed of light!:cool:

Any opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WP4OGH View Post
    Any opinions?
    LOL!!

I'm not sure this "mixer" offers you much in the way of audio processing. A brief look at the specs suggests it's a mixer and not much more.

I use several Behringer products, including the DEQ2496 processor, the 882 mixer and MIC2200 preamp (which provides the phantom 48 volts for my condenser mic).

I have a Samson condenser microphone and Heil Pro Set Elite headset connected to the preamp, which I then connect to the mixer. Depending on which mic I'm using, I set the mixer to feed that mic to the DEQ2496 for processing, then to the rig via an W2IHY iBox that hooks the balanced output of the Behringer stuff to the unbalanced input of the rig.

Sure would be nice to have a ham rig with a balanced mic input!!

Confused? So am I!

...............Bob
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

Default Balanced mike input

For those who might not be aware....

The Flex 5000A has two microphone inputs. One of them is balanced--I use it with my Heil PR40.

Dan - W4TQ

A simple op-amp circuit could be used to create a balanced in - unbalanced out active converter. It wouldn't cost more than probably ten dollars, including a yard sale purchased wall-wart power pack.

The Xenyx 802 is unbalanced out. You could add some processing into the mixer's FX channels, but effects will do little for you, as others have stated, because you are limited to a fairly narrow transmit bandwidth that will fall sharply below 400Hz. You could use limited contouring of the mics frequency responce with the mic channel pots, but low and high will be very limited in it's effects on-air, but will allow you to use just about any balanced XLR mic.