ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Default Socket pin out (color code) on relay 1 on TS520S

I replaced the socket for relay 1 on my TS520S. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the wiring back correctly. The socket is on the bottom of the radio in the upper right hand corner. There are twelve wires that attach. I need the color code for the wiring. The socket looks like this. Two of the pins are the 12V.

--------------------
    | * * * * * | 12V+
    | * * * * |
    | * * * * |
    | * * * * * | 12V-
    ---------------------
    The proper color for each pin is what is needed. Tnx so much. 73s
    johnbeyer@live.com (K4JCB)
    Last edited by K4JCB; 12-07-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Errors in saving.

John -

Sounds like you made begineer's error of not photgraphing or drawing diagram (taking notes) during disassembly.

It woudl be best to contact one of the Kenwood hybrid sources for actual phtoos or answer.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

Quote Originally Posted by K4JCB View Post
    I replaced the socket for relay 1 on my TS520S. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the wiring back correctly. The socket is on the bottom of the radio in the upper right hand corner. There are twelve wires that attach. I need the color code for the wiring. The socket looks like this. Two of the pins are the 12V.

--------------------
    | * * * * * | 12V+
    | * * * * |
    | * * * * |
    | * * * * * | 12V-
    ---------------------
    The proper color for each pin is what is needed. Tnx so much. 73s
    johnbeyer@live.com (K4JCB)
    I've got one in a plastic bag, up in the loft. If I can remember tomorrow, I will unbag it and get the color codes for you. Perhaps even send you a picture.

Paul, KD7HB

You can contact (for photo or parts info):

Bob, KE5FTF or

Ken, K4EAA
    http://www.k4eaa.com/

YouTube - TS-520 repairs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVel5...eature=related

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

I finally found my TS-520S manual, and now I am confused. You wrote that you replaced Relay 1 and there are twelve wires and the relay is near the right rear corner of the chassis. The relay there is really relay 2. Relay 1 controls the IF board switching from RX to TX and has only three DPDT sections, as far as I can see. I don't have the service manual, so I don't have a picture to show where relay 1 is located. I examined the rig several times and haven't found it.

However, if you replaced the socket for relay 2 that IS toward the right rear corner and has four DPDT sections, the following is the color coding for the 12 active contacts, plus the 12 volt and ground for control.

Using your picture, by adding letters to identify the relay connection points, here is the scoop!

--------------------
    | A* B* C* D* M* | 12V+
    | E* F* G* H* |
    | I* J* K* L* N * | 12V-
    ---------------------

I think you had a extra row of contacts, giving 16, which is wrong.

A- green
    B- yellow
    C- white
    D- White-gray stripe
    E- Red
    F- Blue
    G- White-green stripe
    H- bare wire to N, and then to ground connection.
    I- White-red stripe
    J- White-blue stripe
    K- gray
    L- purple.
    M- White-purple stripe
    N- part of bare wire from H to N to ground terminal

Also, a 1000pf disk ceramic cap from M to N. And a 1000 pf disk cap from F to H.

I hope this helps you get going and on the air.

I wonder why you needed to replace the relay socket? I never had any problem with my old rig, at least that way. I packed it away when I got an Icom 706 mk II.

Paul, KD7HB

Default The 520

Thank you so much, Paul for your help and generosity with info. I tried. But, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Your instructions were great. It's just over my head. I bought the rig on Ebay and it had some intermittent problems and I thought it was bad contacts in the socket for relay 2. So, that's what led me to try and repair. Oh, well.

Have a happy holiday and 73s.
    john beyer

Quote Originally Posted by K4JCB View Post
    Thank you so much, Paul for your help and generosity with info. I tried. But, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Your instructions were great. It's just over my head. I bought the rig on Ebay and it had some intermittent problems and I thought it was bad contacts in the socket for relay 2. So, that's what led me to try and repair. Oh, well.

Have a happy holiday and 73s.
    john beyer
    John, nothing is "over your head" if you just take a small step at a time.

KD7HB

I bought the rig on eBay and it had some intermittent problems.
    I thought it was bad contacts in the socket for relay 2.
    So, that's what led me to try and repair.
    John -

I see that this is only your 5th posting here on QRZ. IF you have been reading QRZ's Q&A section for any period of time --
    you will have noted that eBay is the LAST place to purchase used radios by new amateurs or with little technical abilities/skills.
    Quality used radios are available from the amateur radio dealers/retailers.
    But, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Your instructions were great. It's just over my head.
    You at least recognize your abilities in this area.

eBay has become a dumping ground for broken and abused radio and electornics equipment.
    The economic recession (depression) over the past 2 years have forced many people to clean out Storage Lockers, Closets, Garages, Attics and Basements.
    Sadly, in order to maximize their potenital $$ -- the descriptions are fudged -- or seller is stating unknown condiiton.

At this point, you can either pay a qualified (and experienced tech) repair this radio OR
    post the radio For Sale, here on QRZ Swap with photos, in order to recoup a few $$$ -- a knowledgable tech may pick up as a "project radio".
    Expensive lesson --

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 12-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Nullius in verba