ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-gcopper

Default Dacron vs Polyester rope

Hello folks - Looking to buy some rope for wire antennas and other general use. I found this site with decent price on 1/4" rope - they have 3 Strand Polyester Dacron and 3 Strand Polyester.

Not sure of the difference - I'll give them a call Monday.

http://www.nettechdi.com/categories/...nd-Nylon-Rope/

Any comments or knowledge about this company or their products?

73 de Ken H>

Dacron is a type of polyester.

I'd look at tensile strength, environmental stability, and cost and choose between the two on those basis.

Yep, Dacron 'n Polyester are the same material is what I was thinking - hence, my question - just what is the difference the two items?

This company does have some really good prices - a 600ft roll of 1/4" for $33 +$21 shipping for a total price of $54 - or 9 cents/ft shipped. A good bit less than any other place I've found. Just never heard of this company before and looking for anyone who may have had dealings with them.

73 de Ken H>

I use their nylon rope. It lasts at least 15 years or 20 years in the Georgia sunshine.

My 160 dipole is at 300 feet, made from number 10 wire, pulled tight, and has Nylon Netting white nylon rope and has been up since 2000. I have thousand of feet of it.

Most nylon rope now has UV inhibitors. Just ask the vendor. Don't ask Hams. :-)

Thanks for the input Tom - since you have dealt with this company, makes me feel better. My plans was to call them Monday to talk to someone, check their difference in the two ropes - Poly-Dacron vs Polyester - that's a bit less expensive than Nylon.

I'll be ordering a 600 ft roll Monday.

73 de Ken H>

Dacron doesn't stretch after the initial tensioning, nylon does. I.e. the fact that nylon can act as a shock absorber can be a good thing, or bad, depending on the situation. Also, anything with dye in it is good as it acts as a uv inhibitor, sunlight will degrade any synthetic over time.

73 m/4

Dacron is a brand name and yes it is a polyester!
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

The construction is as important as the material. It appears it is just twisted. Double-braided construction is best when it comes to stretch & strength. Twisted construction twists the most. McMaster-Carr has information about rope

A friend of mine, K4DPK, worked years at textile companies. He went all through this at eHam forums if you go there and search.

I use nylon for everything but critical safety roaps like my gin pole ropes. My gin pole ropes are double braided synthetics. The rope I use on my Rohn 65G errection fixture is a double braided synthetic rated at 14,000 pounds, but all my antennas use nylon from a good source. It has UV inhibitors and I've never seen deterioration from sunlight. I WANT stretch on my antenna ropes.

The end ropes on my 160 dipole are several hundred feet long, and the antenna is 300 feet in the air!!

Quote Originally Posted by W8JI View Post
    A friend of mine, K4DPK, worked years at textile companies. He went all through this at eHam forums if you go there and search.

I use nylon for everything but critical safety roaps like my gin pole ropes. My gin pole ropes are double braided synthetics. The rope I use on my Rohn 65G errection fixture is a double braided synthetic rated at 14,000 pounds, but all my antennas use nylon from a good source. It has UV inhibitors and I've never seen deterioration from sunlight. I WANT stretch on my antenna ropes.

The end ropes on my 160 dipole are several hundred feet long, and the antenna is 300 feet in the air!!
    Tom how did you get that 160 dipole 300 feet in the air ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast