ad: l-Heil
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Default QRZ QRZ

It still amazes me that every day you hear people calling CQ using the "Q" code incorrectly. I have just been listening to the ZL8 expedition and one of the guys is calling "QRZ Europe". If you follow the "Q" code correctly, that actually translates into "who is calling Europe?" Which actually doesn't mean anything. You would have thought that guys that have been selected for these expeditions would know how to operate properly?

is it "QRZ Europe" or "QRZ Europe?"?
    If he's getting a pileup and and is decoding a partial European call in a mass of US hams, calling "QRZ Europe?" could be meant as a filter for that particular pileup.

However, semantically "CQ Europe CQ Europe" would be more appropriate if he's asking explicitly for European hams when initiating the call.

semantically, of course

Quote Originally Posted by G0VQY View Post
    It still amazes me that every day you hear people calling CQ using the "Q" code incorrectly. I have just been listening to the ZL8 expedition and one of the guys is calling "QRZ Europe". If you follow the "Q" code correctly, that actually translates into "who is calling Europe?" Which actually doesn't mean anything. You would have thought that guys that have been selected for these expeditions would know how to operate properly?
    Asking "QRZ Europe?" is absolutely correct in this context. No need to call CQ if people are calling already. The ZL8X guys know what they're doing, and they are doing a fabulous job.
    Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK / WB6LQR - Munich, Germany - [URL]http://fkurz.net/[/URL] - [URL="http://lcwo.net/"]LCWO - Learn Morse Code Online[/URL]

Unfortunately, when spoken, the question mark is not visible and therefore a few operators may not "catch" the inflection in the voice which indicates the presence of the question mark!

Glen, K9STH

QRZ's used a lot on phone. I just about never use any Q signals on phone, it just seems silly.

Instead of "QRZ Europe?" saying, "Europe only please" and standing by provides a stronger message with the same five syllables.

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Instead of "QRZ Europe?" saying, "Europe only please" and standing by provides a stronger message with the same five syllables.
    i'm sure "Europe only please" works great if English is your first language.
    sorry dude, must have bumped the VFO.

Default QLF & ZZZ

I know some of you ot's will remember using QLF.

And you old military types will remember using ZZZ.

Some might argue that the Q code was never intended for phone work, that may be so, however, long tradition would dictate otherwise, and there's no harm done. What is more difficult to explain is QRZ being used when CQ would be more appropriate.
    "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN" The Carpenters, 1970

Quote Originally Posted by K3XR View Post
    Some might argue that the Q code was never intended for phone work, that may be so, however, long tradition would dictate otherwise, and there's no harm done. What is more difficult to explain is QRZ being used when CQ would be more appropriate.
    Q codes are definitely used on phone, and have been for the 45 years I've been a ham.

What I don't understand is why anyone uses them when plain language will work fine and would actually be faster. I like "brevity" when it can be used.

I was so glad to see the majority of CW operators switch from "name hr is" or even "name hr" or even "name" to simply "op." "Ur 599 hr QTH Los Angeles op Steve." It's faster and gets the message across just perfectly.

Of course, I never understood why anyone would send "QTH HR IS," when "QTH" already means "my location is..."

People waste a lot of words. In a rag chew when condx are good, I guess it really doesn't matter. But when condx are fading fast and signals are weak, brevity works better.

On phone, too.

Maybe none of you have heard the plaintif cry "QRZ the frequency, QRZ the frequency, UA*****. There used to be a Russian character on 20 metres with a voice like gravel who did this, I can hear him now ! But its used often by those who speak not the language of those who created an empire where the sun never set ! Perhaps they believe that QRZ is a substitute for CQ. Dunno.

G0GQK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast