ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default What does Battery Voltage Mean?

Ok, hear me out, before you respond with "Its the voltage of the battery!"

I recently bought a Yaesu VX-170 from the Swapmeet here (and I love the radio, btw). It comes with a "7.2v" battery - its written right on the little label inside the battery. Seems pretty easy, so far, right?

Right.

So, when you turn the radio on, it generously provides you with the current voltage level of the battery. Right after a charge, I have seen it read as high as 8.4V. WHA?? How that happen?

After blabbering on for way to long yesterday, the little "low batt" indicator started blinking. Eventually, the level got so low that the radio was kind enough to cut off my transmission, rather then deep-discharging the battery, I assume. So, I turned the radio of, turned it back on to see the reading and it said "7.2V".

Now, wait just a minute!! How is 7.2v "low" for a 7.2v battery?

What am I missing? Is that rating on the battery meant to describe its lowest possible charge level? Or am I just being too literal?

Thanks, folks.
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=Purple][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rick [I]
    kR1CKm
    [/I][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]Glenville, New York

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by KC2ZKN View Post
    Ok, hear me out, before you respond with "Its the voltage of the battery!"

I recently bought a Yaesu VX-170 from the Swapmeet here (and I love the radio, btw). It comes with a "7.2v" battery - its written right on the little label inside the battery. Seems pretty easy, so far, right?

Right.

So, when you turn the radio on, it generously provides you with the current voltage level of the battery. Right after a charge, I have seen it read as high as 8.4V. WHA?? How that happen?
    >>For one thing, it may not be a terribly accurate gauge. Measuring the battery with a known accurate DC voltmeter will tell the story. But also, recently charged batteries commonly run about 10% over their standard "float" voltage -- even the one in your car, which is a 12V battery. If you've just taken it off a charger it will measure over 13V. Draw some current from it, or let it sit a while, and it will be back at 12V again.

After blabbering on for way to long yesterday, the little "low batt" indicator started blinking. Eventually, the level got so low that the radio was kind enough to cut off my transmission, rather then deep-discharging the battery, I assume. So, I turned the radio of, turned it back on to see the reading and it said "7.2V".

Now, wait just a minute!! How is 7.2v "low" for a 7.2v battery?

What am I missing? Is that rating on the battery meant to describe its lowest possible charge level? Or am I just being too literal?

Thanks, folks.
    Again, the indication may not be all that accurate; but even if it is, 7.2V in "standby" (not transmitting) doesn't mean the battery has the capacity to deliver transmit current, which is a much larger load. When it reads 7.2V as in your example, try transmitting and see what it reads.

Going from 8.4V down to 7.2V is perfectly normal for six NiMH cells. It could be that the labels were printed for NiCd cells, but the manufacturer decided to use them rather than print up new labels.

Zack

Battery voltage is actually a nominal voltage. NiCD or NiMH cells are rated at 1.2 volts, but their fully charged voltage can easily range to 1.45 volts per cell. Your pack has 6 cells, which gives a nominal voltage of 7.2 volts, but at 1.45 volts, that would add up to 8.7 volts. Now, this is an unloaded voltage, so once the radio puts a little load on the batteries, 8.4 would usually indicate a fully charged pack. You're probably never going to see 8.7 volts even without a load, but that really doesn't matter. You now know that once the voltage gets down to 7.2 volts, the battery needs charging. The accuracy of the voltmeter isn't really at issue, but even if it was inaccurate, as long as it's consistant it will tell you when the batteries need charging.

Hope this clears things up a little

Jim

Various re-chargable batteries will tend to "bounce back", which is to say that their open circuit voltage will tend to rise up toward a higher value even when they are fully discharged. However, there is no current capability, so the moment you try to draw any power from the battery, the voltage will drop, again.

I have some electric razors that illustrate this very well. If you run them until the motor stops turning, you can turn the switch off, wait a few minutes, turn the switch back on, and the motor will turn for a moment or two. But it very quickly stops again. This can be done a couple of times before the motor finally refuses to turn.

No doubt, if you measured the voltage it would be higher, until you turned the switch back on again.

YMMV but that is the general idea.

Jim AG3Y

A true measure of any battery is a load test , having an amp & volt meter readings as the battery is loaded , within its normal use range .
    Back to the car battery , a fully charge 12v battery at rest [ sitting lets say for 8 hrs. after charging ] should be 12.75 volts , then as long as many circumstances are kept to normal use , temp , load being applied [ engine & battery matched ] a automotive battery should never be used more than 20% of its charge to start a car , best case - warm weather maybe 10% .
    These batteries for your HT are designed for extended use , so not having the data sheet on that battery only guessing to its rated draw down higher percentage of discharge is part of the design .
    Back to flooded lead acid [ because its the ones I know more ] deep-cycle batteries [ similar in use to yours ] are intended to be use to 80% discharge .
    Its all about watching volts & amps , a discharge battery may show close to good volts at rest , but if near its design for charge , the amps are gone .

Western Michigan. Great summers but nasty winters.

Default Hopefully the answer sought

Your radio will operate on voltages from 6 to 16.

The Low Batt indicator will come on when the voltage drops to around 6.

The battery packs are (6) 1.2 volt AA cell NiMH for a total of 7.2 volts at rest.

1.2 volt MiMH cells will show 1.4 - 1.6 volts each after a full charge and take some time to settle down to 1.2 volts each.

What is likely happening is that when you transmit your pack is dropping to the min level (6 volts) and recovering when you un-key.

Since you have almost no head room with a 7.2 volt battery, one cell starting to fail will render the entire pack bad and cause the readings you are seeing.

NiMH batteries will work quite a while as they fail. That being said, once a pack is suspect and an new one is purchased, the old one can still be used for shorter periods of time and as a back up pack. I use mine until they puke right out. I have several for my FT 50, along with 2 AA cell cases. Some last years, others not so long.
    Mark, K8MHZ

Think of voltage ratings as campaign promises.
    "Clear intent is the best predictor of experience"

9812 Banway Drive, Greenwell Springs, LA.

It sort of helps to think of a battery like a balloon. When you blow into the balloon and inflate it, the balloon stretches out to allow for more capacity to accomodate the pressure. But once the balloon is inflated to the point that the rubber becomes tight, the pressure inside does not increase by a great amount, even as you continue to inflate.

Voltage can be seen as much like the balloon pressure. Once you charge the battery up to its rated voltage, you start consuming its capacity. No, it doesn't physically stretch to accomodate more, but the principal is similar. And then, there is a capacity limit too that can be exceeded and damage the battery. (overcharging)

So, when your battery is low and still putting out 7.2 volts, you can think of it as the balloon that has been deflated to JUST THE POINT that the rubber walls are tight but not stretched. Release just a little bit of the air, and the pressure will drop off very quickly as the balloon deflates to ambient pressure.

"Not enough oomph anymore".
    73, Heath/KE5FRF
    CWOps#776/SKCC#1940/NAQCC#1712/WAS#52445
    EchoLink Node#268023
    W5YI-VE
    My favorite mode? Morse, of course.

There is another way to look at the effects of battery charge.
    Think if you had a battery that had a constant voltage output but then you added a series resistor between it and the radio.
    With no resistance the voltgae would be that of the battery.
    As you add resistance the radio would see a lower voltage.
    What this become equivelent to is battery impedence gets higher as the battery discharges, lowering it's voltage "available" at it's terminals (while under the load) from the radio.
    As the impedence increases, the radio reaches a point the circuits won't operate.
    When you charge the battery, you reverse this higher impedence back to a lower value by reversing the chemical composition within the battery.
    Chargeing allows the chemical change to reverse but quickly falls back to the design nominal value from internal leakage, temperature, time and load use.
    Many batteries left discharged and open circuited are sensitive to temperature changes and leakage so you may see this with a voltmeter that loads the battery very lightly.
    As well, overvoltage from charging can also be seen and will bleed down just from looking at it with a voltmeter.
    It's not a mistery but one of knowing how various types batteries react in various states of charge and loading.
    From the above, you may see that 'cells' in series are never better than the worst cell in the chain.
    The worst cell becomes the the highest circuit resistance and becomes the limiting cell to the final output voltage and current flow ability of the whole battery assembly.
    Hope this helps you without getting to deep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast