ad: l-innov
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-gcopper

Default Arrow antenna w. 2 HTs

Hi All,

New ham here, I've been having a ball working the 2-meter/70cm FM satellites (AO-51, 27, SO-50,...) and like, I suppose, many of us I'm always thinking about how to improve things.

I'm using a Wouxun HT, feeding an old Arrow antenna through a duplexer.

Now, what if I buy another Wouxun (a little over a 100 bucks) and elliminate the duplexer (and its losses) and use one radio for receiving the 70 cm transmissions from the satellites and the other to transmit on the 2-meter uplink?

I'd get full duplex and could hear my transmissions to see if I was making it to the satellite and would, maybe,have less loss on both xmit and receive...more signal in and out? A duplexer must have some loss, if I could eliminate that....

I can't put up an outside antenna so the Arrow is about the best I can do on that end.

Any comments and advice will be appreciated...

Owen

KJ4YAC

I am thinking about the same thing,I have an IC v82 for uplink and just need to get an HT for downlinks......I got an Arrow II also.
    Rick KE7NPH
    Kingman AZ

Many people already do this with 2 HT's . It is much easier to work the birds with full duplex, then you know when you are getting through ..

I still have my Trusty Arrow and Wouxun but havent used them much since putting together my base set up.

I'm sure I will if I do any traveling next summer. Wouxun is also coming out with a full duplex mobile dual bander which would be cool to have in the truck, just hook up the arrow and go for it..

Craig, W1MSG
    [URL]http://www.w1msg.net[/URL]
    Icom IC-9100 DStar
    Commander HF-2500

This is the exact setup I use - 2 HTs and an Arrow. I really enjoy operating this way. It makes satellite work so much more enjoyable when you can hear your downlink signal. It will really help if you buy a pair of headphones for the 70cm HT. You can see some of my setup on the YouTube videos at the bottom of my QRZ page. I don't think there are any closeups, but it will help give you the general idea.
    [COLOR=#800000][B][FONT=verdana]Zachary N. Beougher[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[CENTER][FONT=verdana][SIZE=2][B][I][SIZE=1]16[/SIZE][/I][/B][I][B]"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [SIZE=1]17[/SIZE]For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."[/B][/I][/SIZE]
    [/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=verdana][URL="http://niv.scripturetext.com/john/3-16.htm"][B][I][SIZE=2]John 3:16-17[/SIZE][/I][/B][/URL][/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Default 2HTs and an Arrow

I have done this many times with a couple of Radio Shack HTs (202/404) and it works just fine. I kept the 2 meter radio on my belt with the frequency locked. Held the 440 and adjusted it for doppler. Add headphones and a speaker mic and your in business. I put my Arrow on a camera tripod just to make things a bit easier.

Good luck and 73's,
    Jeff