ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Ocean State Electronics - CLOSED

Like the last thread on them on this forum - OSE is closed. Drove by there a few weeks ago and saw a handwritten note on the door stating that they were closed for good following the late March 2010 flooding in Westerly. Their location was under about 4 feet of water, shortly after the last posting on the previous thread here on the forum. Adjacent businesses have all reopened for the most part...sounds like the flood was the last thing OSE needed to put them- no pun intended- under.

Chris, AJ1G
    Stonington, CT

I don't think we ought to write them off quite yet. We have furniture stores here locally that have been "Going Out of Business!" for the past 40 years. Hopefully, we'll see Ocean State reopen in another location, under a different name perhaps.

I grew up in RI in the early 60s, got my ham ticket there in 1960. Ocean State Electronics did not exist at that time. When did they open for business? Just curious.

Westerly? Back the the 60s, there was a large number of New Yorkers who would come up to the Westerly beaches. Many owned homes in Westerly, both Summer homes, as well as year around homes. Like so many of us in that time period, we were members of the "brain drain" generation. Meaning we graduated high school, took advantage of the low in state tuition at the University of Rhode Island to earn an undergraduate degree, then upon graduation, accepted out of state job offers, never again to return to RI. Visited RI a few years ago, and it was like a time capsule, nothing had changed in decades, no development, no new industries. Very much unlike here in Atlanta, where the economy does not slow down, and there is always new construction, new industries, etc.

Five feet of water in my house gave us a whole new outlook on life, insurance company acting like donkeys made it yet worse. Maybe they were overwhelmed by the disaster, I can sure picture it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by N5YPJ View Post
    Five feet of water in my house gave us a whole new outlook on life, insurance company acting like donkeys made it yet worse. Maybe they were overwhelmed by the disaster, I can sure picture it happening.
    An old friend of mine got flooded out during Katrina. He is still litigating with his insurance company...FIVE YEARS later. And this isn't unusual.

As an attorney told me over 40 years ago, "Never have sympathy for insurance companies...the sons of b*s don't deserve it."

But I digress (who, me?)...

When I lived in CT I used to drive up through Rhode Island occasionally and I would sometimes seek out OSE. They were never open when I came by, though.

Still, it's always sad to see any business that caters to the electronics homebrewer go under (in OSE's case, literally). There aren't too many of them left.
    Fred