ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc

Default SB200 Rotary Switch replacement

Latest in the SB200 rebuild struggle...the rotary switch for the meter is busted, some contacts completely broken off...it shows HV but nothing on other settings and I found a post by N4NAB that seems nearly identical in nature.

But, I'm having a hard time figuring out a replacement switch...Mouser has a 5contact 2pole switch but it's only rated 0.3 amp and not as heavy duty looking as the wafer switch in the SB200. And, the manual has no real information about the switch needs. Any suggestions for a substitute or will the Mouser 1 105-SR2511F-25NS handle it if it's just meter current?

Is it just the solder tabs on the rotary switch for the wiring that are broken off or are the switch contacts entirely disintegrated?

Is it repairable?
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Quote Originally Posted by W1DLA View Post
    Latest in the SB200 rebuild struggle...the rotary switch for the meter is busted, some contacts completely broken off...it shows HV but nothing on other settings and I found a post by N4NAB that seems nearly identical in nature.

But, I'm having a hard time figuring out a replacement switch...Mouser has a 5contact 2pole switch but it's only rated 0.3 amp and not as heavy duty looking as the wafer switch in the SB200. And, the manual has no real information about the switch needs. Any suggestions for a substitute or will the Mouser 1 105-SR2511F-25NS handle it if it's just meter current?
    I have wafers that will work, and are better desiged.

Doug -

ElectroSwtich in North Carolina has acquired a majority of the US rotary switch manufacturers
    (e.g. Oak / Grigsby, Stackpole, Shallcross, ASM, Centralab (CRL) and Eaton) over the past 15 years.
    Many of these manufacturers were in the Chicago area and industrial Midwest (hence Heathkit parts source)
    http://www.electro-nc.com/

These switches have been used a lagre number of US manufactured
    electrical appliances and equipment.

Electroswitch
    2010 Yonkers Road
    Raleigh, NC 27604
    US & Canada Toll Free Phone: 888-768-2797
    or 919-833-0707

===
    w9gb
    Nullius in verba

Default SB200 Rotary Switch

Thanks, I'll check the site. Appreciate the help.

Someone mentioned a wafer would be better...don't doubt it but would the Mouser 0.3 amp rotary work?

In response to other postings...it's a couple contacts that are broken off, not the solder tabs. There's been some arcing at the switch setting for grid current (which is broken) or at least spark evidence.

Synopsis...I get an HV reading that's right but nothing on any other setting (In circumstances where I should, of course)...some have reported similar problems from switch and wiring mistakes in the original meter circuit...I'll trace it all but the switch definitely needs replaced regardless.

Appreciate all the help folks.

When you say "I have" do you mean you have a place to buy one or that I could buy one from you?

Hi Doug, I sent you a PM here on QRZ.
    Being a good radio operator is 3% TALENT, 97% not being distracted by the INTERNET.

[email]KB1JFQ@yahoo.com[/email]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/glockmaster2002[/url]

Just to end this...I finally found a 5 pole 4 throw ceramic wafer rotary small enough in diameter to fit into the SB200 on ebay...usa made but sold from hong kong (strange world)...adapted one throw for the backside of the meter switch in the SB200 and the other wafer as the regular front side rotary in the SB200, had to do some tedious splicing to the old wiring but got it solved. The lack of standard terminology on ebay and the fact that no one posted diameters led me to buy two unsuitable switches in the process...but, live and learn.

Doug -

I think we assmed that you knew about Harbach Electronics, which sells a number of Heathkit SB-200/SB-220 parts.
    http://www.harbachelectronics.com/ma...00__sb201.html

Other USA sources, in future are:
    RF Parts,
    Numerous surplus parts from QRZ Q&A readers and
    Electroswitch --Their Open Frame D and E series (various sizes) were used in amateur radio equipment from WW2 to 1980s.
    http://www.electro-nc.com/cat_am.shtml

w9gb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nullius in verba

I did...Harbaugh doesn't carry the switch. I did chase one down (china wholesaler), got all the tedious wiring done and it's working great....tnx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast