Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who offers the best MOXON HEX Beam kit for a good price?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Who offers the best MOXON HEX Beam kit for a good price?

I'm thinking of putting up a Moxon HEX beam for maybe 10, 12 ,& 15 meters. Who makes the best Moxon HEX Beam kit for a good price and what do you get? What other materials are necessary to make the beam kit work?

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by AC0FP View Post
    I'm thinking of putting up a Moxon HEX beam for maybe 10, 12 ,& 15 meters. Who makes the best Moxon HEX Beam kit for a good price and what do you get? What other materials are necessary to make the beam kit work?

fp
    You might get confused if you look for plans and parts for a "Moxon Hexbeam" since as far as I know, there is no such thing.

There's a Moxon, and there's a Hex Beam. They're quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    You might get confused if you look for plans and parts for a "Moxon Hexbeam" since as far as I know, there is no such thing.

There's a Moxon, and there's a Hex Beam. They're quite different.
    OK, is the principal behind their operation the same?

Which has the smaller footprint?

Which would be the better choice in the "bang for buck" department?

fp

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Similar in that they're compact two element beams...but some differences that can best be described by someone with more technical knowledge than I.

The Moxon will give you slightly more gain and possibly better f/b than the Hex.

I built a 10 meter Moxon two months ago and have since worked over 50 DXCCs with it at 33' above ground.

I also have a 6 meter Traffie Hex Beam and I used to use it for 6m roving and portable operation when I lived in W6 land. Also a very good antenna but now I use a 5 element yagi for 6m stuff so the antenna is down for now.

I strongly urge you to check out the Hex beam Yahoo group as well as the Moxon Project website; both are chock full of info that will help you decide. Google these to find them easily; I don't have the links handy.

FYI, the Moxon is generally a single-band beam although multi band versions have been built with success.

The Hex beams can be either single of multi-band and also offer a lot of bang for the buck. I think the K4EIO (not sure if that's the correct call) versions are the least expensive kits, IIRC.

DXEngineering ones are a bit pricey but as with all of their stuff---superb quality, IMO.

If you only operate one or two bands like me I'd suggest a Moxon; they're easy to build with fiberglass fishing poles, plastic cutting boards, wire and the like.

Either way you go you'll be pleased! Both are compact, lightweight and offer single coax feeds at 50 ohms. Somewhat stealthier than usual big arrays, too.

Have fun in your quest and let us know what you go with.

You can see a picture of my DIY Moxon on my QRZ page, if interested.

73, Jeff (a big fan of both types of these great wire beams!)

In my opinion. they are both wonderful "compromise" antennas that are easy to install and use.

I haven't seen many multi-band Moxons (they were originally designed to be single-band antennas) but the Hex Beam lends itself to multi-banding well, and there are several 5-band designs and fully manufactured products out there.

Since they don't have real "booms" and can be built of fairly small diameter materials, they have little wind loading and can be turned by a pretty small, light-duty rotator. Although this isn't always the case, either can be built with "wire" elements and lightweight spreaders made from various insulating materials including PVC, ABS, fibreglas, bamboo, etc.

After using a building a few, I'd probably opt for a Moxon single-bander but I'd opt for a Hex multi-bander.

After building one 5-band Hex from a kit of parts, I think next time I'd just buy the factory prefabricated Traffie HX5Bi Hexbeam (commercial product), as it is much easier! But that's just me.

If you want to operate the 3 adjacent bands mentioned in the first post, I would choose the Hexbeam. The Moxon has problems with multiple bands that are close in frequency.

Just an update on WB2WIK's comment: the alternative Hexbeam suppliers in the USA - K4KIO, DXE - now supply their beams pre-assembled (within shipping limits), rather than as kits.

Steve G3TXQ

Sorry I failed to notice that you specified 10-12-15 meters in your initial post; thus I wholeheartedly concur with Steve's comments as well.

A Hex (either the Classic or Broadband version) should well suffice and be easy to erect.

Nonetheless, you may find the Moxon Project website thoroughly intriguing as I did---check out some of the many photos of various installations---if you ever want to make a simple but great monobander... Les Moxon was a tad ahead of his time, IMO.

73, Jeff

Thanks to all. I've decided to go with the HEX-beam, if I can find one for a good price. If I decide that a mono band antenna on 15 meters might be all I really need then I will go with the Moxon.

fp

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

This is mine for 20,15 and 10 metres....as has been said the elements are located too close too each other to work properly when you introduce the WARC bands too.

As you can see I run three seperate feeds as I'm a bit of a knuckle dragger and couldn't get it working from a single feed like the Hex beam does.

My other main reason for staying with the Moxon after its excellent front to back performance is it's skeletal two dimensional profile which attracts less admiring glances from neighbouring properties than the short lived 10 metre quad did or a Hex most likely would.

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder here.

Cheers,Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by G7vqe
    This is mine for 20,15 and 10 metres
    hi steve,
    did you make test about F/B ratio in all three bands?

Last winter i used 2 band moxon ( 40/30 meters) but the inner rectangle ( 30 meters band) didn't works as the 40 meter rectangle, two drivers was feed togheter by 60 cm coaxial 75 ohms.
    F/B ratio on low angle signals ( VK land, ja, zl and W6 long path) was about 25 (and more) on 40 , but not more then 10 db on 30.

After the summer hailstorms two fishing rods were broken, and i decidet to fix the moxon by removing the inner rectangle.

Surprise: the antenna was more short resonance ( 7,200 mhz).
    I add about 60 cm both elements.
    Well, the moxon works great again.

I tried to analyze the antenna and the fb is actually low, but it improves if you add a director (4% short then diver) to reach the performance of Moxon single band, and a dual band should have one more element on the higher frequency.
    All this on paper, you should try on the field.
    maybe next summer.

What do you think ? (Aside from my bad English)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast