ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Default TS-590 modifications

I am sitting here with my new TS-590 - just dying to fire her up - but I can't until I get home to Colombia at that is where the power supply, antenna, etc. all is. Tomorrow I will be taking her with me home and I was looking at the radio and there is a note on the bottom about it being illegal in the US to modify this radio to receive cellular - however, since I live in Medellin, I was wondering if anyone is aware of a modification to convert this radio so that it can receive all frequencies?
    ---
    Larry Snyder, HK2LS, [URL="http://www.rn.org"]www.RN.org[/URL]

Hi
    While there is likely a mod to enable rx on the verboten freqs, all you would hear there in the cell phone band is digital noise. Even in Columbia. I consider such a mod a small victory against "the man", but useless otherwise.

4YZF, have you looked at the spec's for the radio??? If not, you need to. The radio does NOT receive or even come close to the cell frequencies. It is only 50-54Mhz for 6M ... nothing higher. Other than that it is a basic 160-6M rig, same as the good old TS-570SG.

NO CELL...!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ4YZF View Post
    I am sitting here with my new TS-590 - just dying to fire her up - but I can't until I get home to Colombia at that is where the power supply, antenna, etc. all is. Tomorrow I will be taking her with me home and I was looking at the radio and there is a note on the bottom about it being illegal in the US to modify this radio to receive cellular - however, since I live in Medellin, I was wondering if anyone is aware of a modification to convert this radio so that it can receive all frequencies?
    The TS-590 only covers .3 to 30 MHZ and 50 to 54 MHZ so my guess is no. There is nothing preventing you from building a converter for 800 MHZ but keep in mind that most cellular transmissions are digital spread spectrum. Unless you know the PN sequence and timing I doubt if you could demodulate them.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

I can't believe you are going to ruin a brand new radio for some sort of a mod on any kind. My Pro III has no mods of any kind, and it is going to stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ4YZF View Post
    It's commonly refered to as the "Mars Mod" and already available on the net. It's involves removing one resister (chip). In the Yahoo Kenwood TS-590S group, there is a picture in the file section. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KenwoodTS-590

Glad I live where these silly rules do not apply.. No note on the bottom of my new TS-590S about it being illegal to modify the radio to receive cellular. In Canada they know it isn't capable of receiving in those ranges.. hi..

Anyway, it's not illegal to modify our radios. Actually we get the US models. The newer ones have the 60 meter channels and Alaska emergency freq. but we can't use them.. We would only get into trouble if we operated on an unauthorized frequency, unless it was in a true emergency situation.

73 - Ken - VE5KC
    - http://amateur-radio.ca
    - http://ham-radio.ca
    ----

I would not buy a radio that had a MARS mod other than a software one. Why do people ruin new radios is beyond me
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

When I modify a radio (usually just removing a SMT Resistor), I remove it carefully so it isn't damaged and the pads are not damaged. Sometimes the best way to do that is use 2 soldering irons at once, and lift the resistor off the pads. Once removed, I TAPE it to the inside of the cabinet so it can be reinstalled if the radio has to go back to the factory for some reason. MFR's usually claim that such mods void the warranty.

Also check out MODS.DK for any further info needed on that, or any other radio.

Mods should be done ONLY by experienced, qualified people who KNOW what they are doing. If you don't know which end of the soldering iron gets hot, you are NOT QUALIFIED! Unqualified hams can do more DAMAGE than help to a radio, new or not.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

The MARs mod enables continous transmit I would assume? 60 meters is indeed allowed in Colombia for Hams - Yes, I am aware that the specs don't cover 800 however there still is this sticker on the bottom of the radio so I was wondering..
    ---
    Larry Snyder, HK2LS, [URL="http://www.rn.org"]www.RN.org[/URL]

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

I would carry what Pat said one step further.
    Don't do the modifications (any modifications)
    Unless;
    1. you have a legitimate reason for doing the modification.
    2. You understand the circuit, or circuits you are modifying.
    3. You have a plan B if something should go wrong.
    4. know the mod you are preforming won't cause interference to other services.
    5. you have the required skills and tools necessary to properly execute the modification.

If you can fulfill these five requirements you won't be here asking about modifications.
    If not then Please find someone qualified to do the modifications for you.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast