ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Default Audio Mixer for Amateur Radio Input

I got this unit by way of auction on eBay

The plan is to use it to run audio from my PSK interface, my Auto-ID'er and, my Microphone. The output will go to my radio (IC-706MKIIG) through a RJ-45plug.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

Sure.

I'm familiar with the Pyramid unit, this one's from the 1990s and cost about $99 when it was new. I've seen them go for about $20 at the local "Karaoke" shops (of all things! -- my XYL loves those places and has a big Karaoke setup at home), they're pretty popular.

You might need isolation transformers on the inputs if it doesn't have them built in (I don't have the schematic, and really don't know). But it should work fine for you as long as the inputs are well isolated to prevent ground loop problems.

Have fun with it!

I had this exact unit back in the early 80's. I had some of my home electronics stuff hooked to it.

It should work for what you want. The mike input is a low-z type, and it amplifies up to normal "line level" output, about 200mv or a little more.

The two line level inputs should work OK for interface to a computer or IDer. They are high impedance inputs. The two phono inputs cannot be easily used, since they are designed for magnetic phono input. In mine, I went in and bypassed the mag input amp and equalization, so I ended up with 4 line level inputs, and one mike. There are no transformers at all on the audio circuits, so make sure everything is at a common ground.

It's not a high end unit, and it's SNR suffers when compared to good hi-fi equipment, but it will be more than adequate for HR use.

Joe
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

Keep in mind that Icom radios need more input level, since they all incorporate low level preamplifiers in the stock microphones. Also remember that there is a phantom power supply that needs to be isolated from an external preamp, if you are not using it to power that preamp ( you won't be in this case )

The rig should work well with this mixer, provided that you don't get any RF into it. If you do, you may have to do some bypassing, since the unit is probably not made for broadcast applications near a source of RF !

Good luck! 73 Jim