ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Ham Radio and Motorcycles

I would like to share with you all an incident (well it is still on going) that has recently occurred when a Aussie gentleman (Ian Clark) who rides a Honda Goldwing Motorcycle (2008 GL1800) asked the Goldwing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) magazine (WingWorld) technical writer (Stu Oltman) for assistance on how to connect a UHF radio to his Goldwing.

The players in this drama (hi hi) are:

Ian Clark, of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, who is asking for assistance in installing a UHF radio on his 2008 Goldwing.

Stu Oltman, technical writer, Workbench column, WingWorld Magazine.

Robert Renfro, AC7KH/ON9CKH, Extra Class and 1st Class Radiotelephone/GROL licensee. who is trying to get some assistance to Ian on how to hook up his radio. I too am a Goldwing motorcycle (2003 GL1800) rider

See page 29 of the November 2010 issue of WingWorld magazine, UHF CB Radio ?, for the complete article.

The article has Ian asking for assistance for hooking up a UHF radio and Stu's response:

Ian, there is no UHF radio I'm aware of that will interface with the bike's audio controls, wiring, or displays...Stu

to which I replied via email and have included Stu's response, Stu's response is first my initial respone to him is second:

So Robert - let me make sure I understand what you're saying. Because I'm unfamiliar with an obscure hobby that perhaps one one hundredth of one percent of all Gold Wing riders participate in, I'm giving GWRRA a bad name. Is that about it? I have news for you pal, it's not all about you. If you're so bloody concerned about it, feel free to contact Marc yourself.

Stu O

Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:33 PM
    To: workbench@gwrra.org
    Subject: UHF Radio

Stu,

Reference your reply to Ian Clark, I hate to tell you this but there are quire a few HF, VHF, UHF radios that will hook up to the gl1000, gl1100, gl1200, gl1500 and 1800. I my self am running a ICOM IC-706 on mine which includes UHF, VHF, and HF in one radio. Let me refer you to the MARC (Motorcycle Amateur Radio Club) www.marc-hq.org and also this vendor who provides different types of interfaces to the various models of motorcycles and radios. I use a Kennedy interface to connect my rig to 2003 GL18000. There are many of us here in San Antonio, called the Motor Marshalls who provide amateur radio (again VHF, UHF, and HF radio support for many events in the San Antonio, Texas area to include IRON MAN and the Valero MS-Ride to the River). My Kennedy interface connects through my intercom and operates via a push to talk button on the handle bar. Please have Ian contact MARC through their web site. I am sure they will be glad to help him connect his UHF radio. Don't give all of GWRRA a bad name by saying he can't hook one up.

Robert Renfro
    AC7KH/ON9CKH
    GWRRA#223062

Your comments are welcome and in fact if you know Ian please contact him and let him know where to get help and or assistance.

My email is AC7KH@arrl.net
    other players:
    GWRRA Tech is workbench@gwrra.org
    GWRRA WingWorld editor is editor@gwrra.org

Stu is technically correct. There are no Australian market UHF CBs which will interface in a "plug and play" manner with Honda's OEM Clarion Type I, II, III or later (Valkyrie/GL1800) stereo systems. And the only 27MHz CB which will seamlessly interface with all versions of Honda OEM audio equipment are (you guessed it) the optional Clarion units. Good luck finding one of the older versions. (I had a Type-II specific aftermarket CB on my '86 SE-i but I cannot remember whose it was.)

For that matter, there are no amateur radio transceivers - 706 or otherwise - which will interface to the motorcycle's OEM stereo equipment without the use of a 3rd-party integrator such as the Kennedy Technologies FRSet-4...or some sort of homebrew interface. I've done it both ways when integrating amateur and CB gear into the various GL1100s, 1200s and Valkyries which I've owned over the years and have assisted GL1500/GL1800 owners in doing same.

Any of the gear you mentioned can be made to work (after a fashion) but it's not as simple as plugging in a couple of connectors then boogeying down the road. At least for the non-technical types, that is.
    The AR15/M16 - Irritating practically everyone since 1960...