Using multi PA decks

With one LARGE HV Power Supply

I need to get 1800 to 2300 Volts of B+ to all the decks

{ safely }

Besides, haven't you had a thought on this

subject before at one time or another

Thank you

Terry N0PGR

Last edited by N0PGR; 09-28-2010 at 02:23 AM.

For detached amplifiers/power supplies I use high voltage wire, not coax. HV test probe cable is easy to find rated at 5kV DC, and much higher if you wish. Some of the silicone rubber insulated stuff is good for 20 kV+ and it's cheaper and more flexible than coax.

For B+ I use either Millen 7kV connectors (very commonly found and available, and cheap) or MHV connectors.

I wouldn't use type UHF or BNC or N, as those can be too easily confused for antenna connections.

My grounds and B- returns are separate: A couple of paralleled ground wires run in the multi-pin connectors that are used for LV, filaments, switched AC, metering and other stuff; plus the third prong in the AC power cord provides a solid utility service return. I usually bring B- out separately from "ground," as it floats slightly above ground (not much, usually floated by the plate current meter shunt resistor and a fault diode) so I can meter plate current in the B- return path.

The DC voltage rating for cables should always be somewhat higher than the AC RMS voltage rating, by at least a factor of 1.414. I just avoid using coax for B+ because it's too easily confused for antenna wiring, especially if a guest operator has to de-bug something when I'm not around.

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    For detached amplifiers/power supplies I use high voltage wire, not coax. HV test probe cable is easy to find rated at 5kV DC, and much higher if you wish. Some of the silicone rubber insulated stuff is good for 20 kV+ and it's cheaper and more flexible than coax.
    Cheap is the is the key

Noted 7mm solid core spark plug wire can be used also

Have coax
    For B+ I use either Millen 7kV connectors (very commonly found and available, and cheap) or MHV connectors.

Poked out there on the net for these

Millens about $10 each

MHV about $10 each

Thats getting up there

$100 for B+/B- connections

and that is w/o wire

Nice , sure is......

Have PL-259/SO-239 just in the drawer

The DC voltage rating for cables should always be somewhat higher than the AC RMS voltage rating, by at least a factor of 1.414. I just avoid using coax for B+ because it's too easily confused for antenna wiring, especially if a guest operator has to de-bug something when I'm not around.
    Thought about mixing up the connectors

Got to be a work around for that

So if one were to use the 2300VRMS you should be covered then

For this thing RG-213 type will be used

Flexibility , not an issue

Terry N0PGR

Besides, kind of like the idea of
    ground shielded B lines

Say if one got nicked or cut
    Keeps it inside cable
    Last edited by N0PGR; 09-28-2010 at 04:11 AM.

I found something rather interesting

I needed several high-voltage connectors for this project, each capable of working reliably at 20 kV. Rather than buying them, I made them myself, using PVC pipe, PVC sheet, ordinary banana jacks, and SO-239 (UHF coaxial) receptacles. The body of the connector is made from the PVC pipe, with the banana jack mounted at the rear in a disk cut from the PVC sheet (see the photos). Another disk, at the front, serves as a mounting flange. I removed the insulator and center contact from the SO-239 (easily accomplished by grinding the back off of it) and then mounted it in front of the panel, with the HV connector body behind the panel.

If you cannot locate PVC sheet, it may be easily prepared by longitudinally slitting a length of pipe and then gently heating it in an oven to make it open up and lie flat!

I fashioned the mating cable from RG-8 coax and a PL-259 UHF plug. After removing the center pin, I drilled out the PL-259 so that the insulated center conductor of the coax could pass through it; then I attached the PL-259 shell to the coax shield in the conventional manner, with the appropriate length of center conductor protruding. I soldered an uninsulated banana plug onto the end of the center conductor.

When the cable assembly is mated to the HV connector on the chassis, the banana plug engages the jack at the rear of the connector.

If you use this technique, be sure to obtain RG-8 cable having a hard polyethylene dielectric. There are many cables, otherwise similar to RG-8, that are made with foam dielectrics that cannot withstand the high voltage. I have seen the polyethylene cable used reliably in commercial 40 kV power supplies.

http://www.timefracture.org/reg.html

{holy fix oversized pictures}

Answered my own question finally

And Thanks to John Doran KV0L

Terry N0PGR

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by N0PGR; 09-28-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Using the same connectors for the deadly high tension lines as you do for your Antenna and input connections is a recipe for disaster.

Don't think that you would never make a mistake sometime.

"Never say 'never'"...

W5RB Guest

What's with the bizarre format ? It's like you're using a template for a wall poster of the Desiderata , and it's ..... distracting .

If I remember my math properly, you take the RMS values you have listed above, and multiply by 1.414. That will give you the peak of the AC voltage, which should be the same as the maximum DC voltage that the cable is rated for !

WD has good advice. Use special HV cable rather than coax. A life is PRICELESS ! ! !

I have seen modified coax connectors like the ones pictured used on a Hi-Pot tester.

Regular PL-259, SO-239 and BNC connectors are rated for 500 Vpeak. N connectors are rated for 1500 Vpeak

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

I think there are too many variables to come up with one figure. Instantaneous breakdown? Long term breakdown? How clean are the surfaces, etc.

I worked in a lab that applied 50kv (briefly) to RG-8 in a pulse generator.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast