Callsign
ad: WarrenG-1

Thread: Hex beam Vs Triband 3 EL or quad 2 EL ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Default Hex beam Vs Triband 3 EL or quad 2 EL ?

I am probly going to sell my new Cubex quad due to not being able to have a work around for my stand off situation on my crank up. I am thinking about one of these hex beams. Any input. Any comparison anybody has done?

I might be interested in the quad if you want to sell it

What is the stand off solution on a crank up tower specific to a cubex beam? Do tell - you might get a real solution.

As to the comparison - I'm not sure how I'd rank 'em - the triband 3 element will likely outperform a hexbeam which is a compact 2 element beam. Where the quad fits in I don't know.

The hexbeam's big advantage is is relatively small turning radius, as you probably know, but the DX engineering kit is almost $600 - unless you want to home brew the job.

I like the 5 band coverage of the complete hexbeam though.

Unless you have some monobanders also, I don't know why anyone would install a "triband" beam in 2010. A tribander misses two bands, one of which is open a lot nowadays and is a great DX band (17 meters).

There is a 5-band Hexbeam design and product; and there are many 5-band quads, yagis and LPDAs. There are also 6 and 7-banders from several sources including SteppIR which include 30m and 40m in addition to 20 through 10m.

Comparing a Cubex quad to a Hexbeam: No comparison, the quad will win. Comparing it to a triband Yagi: Impossible to say, without knowing exactly which triband yagi.