ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Default Kenwood tm-v71 mod

Anyone done the extended transmit mod on the v71?

illegal mod.. this will go quick.. get'em glen.

An extended transmit frequency range does nothing for you other than to potentially get you into trouble.
    You cannot legally use anything other than the ham frequencies to transmit on with it.
    I have heard all the "in case of emergency" rationalizations and they just don't hold any water.
    If you are thinking of using it for FRS or some service like that, just go get an FRS radio.
    Also, It may be very easy to turn the radio into a BRICK if you go inside and mess with it. If you mess up with surface mount components, it is pretty tough for the average guy to reverse it!!
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Quote Originally Posted by K9YLI View Post
    illegal mod.. this will go quick.. get'em glen.

An illegal mod?? There are no laws against modding radios. When is the last time you heard of someone getting arrested for modding a radio? I can modify every radio I own and it would not be against the law. Using a modded radio in a service it is not certified for is against FCC rules, but FCC rules aren't laws, they're regulations.

Anyway, I thought I would get my dos centavos in before the lockdown. Carry on.
    ECHOLINK NODE#401099

Quote Originally Posted by W9PSK View Post
    An illegal mod?? There are no laws against modding radios. When is the last time you heard of someone getting arrested for modding a radio? I can modify every radio I own and it would not be against the law. Using a modded radio in a service it is not certified for is against FCC rules, but FCC rules aren't laws, they're regulations.

Anyway, I thought I would get my dos centavos in before the lockdown. Carry on.
    The term illegal by definition can be used in relation to formal laws, rules and/or regulations. Even games have illegal moves. It is a perfectly good term to use in relation to the FCC rules.
    The point is obvious that there is no legal use to put the extended frequencies to once you have done the modification. So what could possibly be the purpose of the mod in the first place?
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Mod it if you want to mod it and just use your common sense thereafter. Ham radio isn't about appliance operating, its about tinkering. So tinker away and don't let the others scare you.

Quote Originally Posted by K7MH View Post
    The term illegal by definition can be used in relation to formal laws, rules and/or regulations. Even games have illegal moves. It is a perfectly good term to use in relation to the FCC rules.
    The point is obvious that there is no legal use to put the extended frequencies to once you have done the modification. So what could possibly be the purpose of the mod in the first place?
    There's still nothing in the rules against modding a radio.
    ECHOLINK NODE#401099

well I can think of one reason the user might want to mod his rig!! he maybe going on holidays to europe inwhich he's going to need to modify his US version to an EU for use at our frequencies

Although there are no penalties for modifying the radio there definitely are penalties for transmitting outside of the amateur radio bands with such a radio.

Also, it is the policy of QRZ.com NOT to publish information which can allow the transmitter to be used outside of the amateur radio bands.

For those MARS members who require such information that information IS available from your MARS organization.

Therefore, since it is against the policy of QRZ.com to furnish such information this thread is history!

Glen, K9STH
    Head Moderator QRZ.com