ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Kenwood TM-V7

To All,
    Was wondering if there is a fix for a blank LCD screen for my Kenwood TM-V7? Looks like the heat here in Ohio has caused to screen to go blank.

If there isn't a fix where can I go to find a replacement front end screen?

Thank You,
    Tom Steele
    KD8JRK

Quote Originally Posted by KD8JRK View Post
    To All,
    Was wondering if there is a fix for a blank LCD screen for my Kenwood TM-V7? Looks like the heat here in Ohio has caused to screen to go blank.

If there isn't a fix where can I go to find a replacement front end screen?

Thank You,
    Tom Steele
    KD8JRK
    The TM-V7 has a design flaw in the display. Mine didn't start acting up untill about a year ago. The replacement is about $160 for a new display panel you install yourself by taking apart the head/faceplate.
    The part numbers themselves are Part number B38-0772-75 and B38-0772-85

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/tmv7a/page2.htm
    I have not done the replacement yet on mine as it is always on and usually never changed freq. I can still read some of the display enough to know where I am in the settings, otherwise I use the PC to program everything in, and then print out the list for quick reference.

Kenwood only did replacements if you are original purchaser and have had it less then 3 years, seems as this radio isnt on the market for sale anymore that option is gone.
    The anglefire link will give a detailed lesson and pictorial on how to do the replacement.
    Your other option is to contact Kenwood, and have them direct you to same part number and a company that can be purchased from.

The design was redone shortly after the flaw was realized, and so there exists two different faceplate, the original I cant tell the color of, but believe it is either blue or black(color blind) I do know that the redesigned one has a purple bevel frame. That is only way to know which design model it is that I am aware of.

I hope this has helped.

To my knowledge there has been no way to fix the defective display though. it is my understanding it is a flaw in the LCD itself and unrepairable when the sections die off.

Most start displaying vertical lines at random and then over time they increase to the point of losing a moderate amount viewable area, some also get horizontal lines in same manner as vertical.

Western Michigan. Great summers but nasty winters.

Try a total factory reset.

I had to do it with mine after a new display still looked defective.
    Mark, K8MHZ

Try the full reset function. Apparently the soft reset doesn't always work for clearing other problems.

My screen has a number of white pixels.

Recently I came across an article on the web that indicated that a problem can be caused by the flexible lead lifting from either the lcd panel or the pcb (don't recall which). The author claimed to have some success by gently pressing on the flexible lead. -Take this for what it's worth, but if you display is dead you don't have much to lose.

I will note that lcd's don't like temperature extremes. Yesterday it was in the uppper 90's here and my display was whited out and almost unreadible until the car cooled off later. Bring your radio inside and let it cool off and see how it looks.

Good luck, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by KB4QAA View Post
    Try the full reset function. Apparently the soft reset doesn't always work for clearing other problems.

My screen has a number of white pixels.

Recently I came across an article on the web that indicated that a problem can be caused by the flexible lead lifting from either the lcd panel or the pcb (don't recall which). The author claimed to have some success by gently pressing on the flexible lead. -Take this for what it's worth, but if you display is dead you don't have much to lose.

I will note that LCD's don't like temperature extremes. Yesterday it was in the upper 90's here and my display was whited out and almost unreadable until the car cooled off later. Bring your radio inside and let it cool off and see how it looks.

Good luck, Bill
    Good advice on taking it in, but I would encourage that if you do this in cold weather, wrap in a towel and let stand for several hours to ensure that thee is no condensation buildup which is also a killer of radios.

I live in an area that sees negative 40* F occasionally and routinely negative 20*F. I have never had an issue with my display. For me I have a hard time seeing the blue screen with white alphanumeric, so I have reversed it and am able to see much better. I have never had problems in high heat either and to me high heat is 110 outside and 140 inside auto, though I do notice the radio is not happy about it and does work when temp is dropped to around 100*F

I have done the soft and hard reset of this radio as well with no significant change.
    I have not heard of a flex cable or any method inside that may correct this, but I am also willing to take the chance and try it, though the radio still works perfectly otherwise.
    I wonder if there is a way to connect an external display either through hard wire and configuration but would prefer through data port.