ad: l-Heil
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Old Antenna Book??

25 years ago this was a small old book on antennas, traps, and matching networks. It described how to build shorter than full length multiband coaxial dipoles and had formulas to build traps/loading coils for hf multiband dipoles. It also explained how transmission line made matching stubs for colinear arrays. If I remember correctly(probability is low here) it was from the 1950's as most of the other electrical projects in it were all tube type stuff. I'm looking for this book or something similar and since I can't remember the name I posted here thinking someone might know of what I'm talking about. The book also had some information on yagi's and quads I think. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by KB5HAB View Post
    25 years ago this was a small old book on antennas, traps, and matching networks. It described how to build shorter than full length multiband coaxial dipoles and had formulas to build traps/loading coils for hf multiband dipoles. It also explained how transmission line made matching stubs for colinear arrays. If I remember correctly(probability is low here) it was from the 1950's as most of the other electrical projects in it were all tube type stuff. I'm looking for this book or something similar and since I can't remember the name I posted here thinking someone might know of what I'm talking about. The book also had some information on yagi's and quads I think. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I have a copy of the 1956 ARRL antenna manual and it is an excellent book. Everything in it is in simple terms that the amateur can understand and put to practical use. It is small and a bit dated in some ways but still good none the less. I also have ARRL handbooks from the 1930s, 40's, and 1950's that have a wealth of practical information in them.

The physics of radio have not changed and while the technology in the books is dated the antenna and feed line information is as relevent today as it was 50 years ago.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

You can rule out "The Radio Amateur's Handbook" by AF Collins. The 1954 issue doesn't cover what you've described. Maybe one of books by Orr
    (W6SAI?) comes closer. Not sure if they were printed in the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by AD1OS View Post
    You can rule out "The Radio Amateur's Handbook" by AF Collins. The 1954 issue doesn't cover what you've described. Maybe one of books by Orr
    (W6SAI?) comes closer. Not sure if they were printed in the 50s.
    That is what I was thinking, but I just could not remember his call. The Orr book I remember was small, and white with line drawings of antennas on the cover. I remember having trouble with matching my quad, gave him a phone call, he spent a 1/2 hour on the phone with me, trying to pound some smarts into my head....I would assume any of the engineers from the big three would do the same today....
    Frank
    "Clear intent is the best predictor of experience"

During the 1950s and 1960s there were quite a few books on amateur radio published by a number of different publishers. A good many did include information on rigs, antennas, accessory items, and so forth.

TAB Books published a number of volumes. Cowan Publishing/CQ Magazine had quite a few books. Editors' and Engineers published the "west coast handbooks" which most of them were written by Bill Orr, W6SAI. 73 Magazine published several books. W6SAI's antenna books were usually published by Radio Publications. Of course, the ARRL has published numerous books on various topics over the years.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by KB5HAB View Post
    I have an old printing of Bill Orr's The Radio Handbook that has a white cover and patterns on the cover. While it isn't really large, it is about two inches thick. The antennas are as you say in the book. The latest printing is 1997, and you don't want to know what Amazon wants for it now....

The W6SAI Antenna Book is still published (by CQ Magazine) as a paperback and ironically, I just bought my copy from CQ. It's $20 and has a lot of good hints and kinks.
    Lee
    W6EM

Well I just looked on the shelf and I have 3 antenna books
    1 the arrl antenna book 1976
    2 73 vertical,beam,and triangle antennas. By Ed Noll w3fqj 1975
    3 hf antennas for all locations by L.A.MOXON,G6XN 1982 HARD COVER

If interested I will take $10.00ea plus shipping.

Hope this helps wb2tfm@att.net

Bill Orr, W6SAI, was a very knowledgeable experienced radio amateur and his books must have been a great help to many radio hams in the US. I spoke to him a few times and listened to his conversations when amateur radio conditions were such that one could listen to US "nets" in Britain, and consequently a short wave listener could gain knowledge about everything concerning ham radio from those who knew what they were talking about. What a pity its all gone pear shaped !

G0GQK

The Radio Handbook 1959 by William Orr is available free on this page.
    http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm
    That page contains a lot of books published before about 1964 that never had their copyright renewed.
    I don't know if this contains the info you are looking for or not since I have not downloaded it. If you are looking for tube stuff, this page is a bonanza.

Jerry, K4SAV

I've been searching but have not found the book I'm talking about. I was unclear about the coaxial trap dipole in the op. This dipole was made out of coax and no coils involved. One end of a section of coax was either left open or shorted to itself and the sections were showing resonance on one band and high impedance to everything else to act like a trap. There were projects for stuff like a simple regen rx, a preamp and this may be the wrong word again, and simple cw rx and tx...all using tubes, no transistors or chips.Other radio related things like couplers and headphone/speaker amps, and so on. IF I ever find it I'll post it up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast