ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Default Mic connections on ICOM 756 Pro and 7600

I am finishing up building a W8ZR Station Pro II. (Beautifully designed, BTW!) After wiring up my mic jacks, I noticed that there are a couple of outputs on the ICOM IC-756PII and IC-7600 xcvrs which I do not understand.

Pin 4 on the mic connector is assigned to "Main Readout Squelch Switch," and Pin 8 is assigned to "Main Readout AF Output." I have gone through the manuals, and I can not figure out what these functions do, or if they are even necessary.

Any information is appreciated.

John
    w4kv

Although I have followed Jim, W8ZR's project -- I have not yet had time to build one (or order one) -- it's antenna season for a couple more months.

For the Icom radios, those would likely be a reference to the pin assignments on the ACC1 connector (rear panel).

Greg
    w9gb

Check with these guys. They should know about it.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic756pro3/
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

I guess my confusion comes from the terminology--for example, I don't understand what "Main Readout Squelch Switch" even means. I know what the squelch pot on the xcvr face does, but a switch? And controlled by the mic input? Same for the "Main Readout AF Output."

The unit is a beauty. You will not believe how well designed and easy to put together. The questions had more to do with the functions of the connections than the SPII itself. I haven't yet completed the "pods"--the units that connect the units to the individual rigs. Once I do, I'll have a report regarding the performance.

John w4kv

My questions

Adam Farson -- The Icom Web Page !
    http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/main.html

I think you need to ASK Jim, W8ZR, regrding his labeling of the StationPro II functions (what he actually means).

Here is MY Best Guess (below) at what Jim actually means/desired for interfacing -- the author/designer (W8ZR) KNOWS his meaning !

LOOK at your Icom Owner's Manual (diagrams provided by mfg.)
    for the Pin Deisgnations on ACC1 (Rear Panel)

PIN 5 - AF Detector OUTPUT
    FIXED, regardless of the [AF] position in the default settings
    Output Impendance: 4.7 Kohms
    Output Level: 100-300 mV RMS

Pin 6 - SQUELCH OUTPUT
    Goes to Ground when the Squelch is OPEN
    SQL OPEN - less then 0.3 V
    SQL CLOSED - more than 6.0 V

Greg--
    Great link!!
    I actually don't have any problem with the wiring, pin connections, etc., on the SPII. My questions arose when I looked at the pin assignment on the ICOM mic connector on the front of the rigs. They had more to do with the actual function of the signal rather than the interface.
    It wasn't intuitive to me that the squelch and AF Outputs in the ACC 1 rear connector and the mic connector would be the same. And I'm too lazy to go through the schematics.

Thanks for your help.

John
    w4kv