ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Default Yaesu ht PTT circuit?

I'm trying to make a ptt circuit for the com port on my computer. I'm still not sure which pins on the com port to use. I have the ct-44 adapter and a Yaesu ft-60r. I'm attaching the diagram included in my radio's manual for the ct-44 and a diagram I drew. Can someone tell me if I have this correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure why they moved this thread from circuits to here instead of digital modes or the audio subforum. I've asked this here before and got nil, and this time I did all the research I could. I guess I should just try it and hope I don't destroy my radio. Can someone at least tell me if that's a possibility?

Default Keying circuit

Hi Scott,

Your drawing is a little baffling to me, but let me explain how the adapter should work for you:

To key the transmitter (causing it to transmit), you have to apply "ground" to one side of the 2K resistor that is shown connected to the center pin of the "mic" side of the ct-44 adapter. That should be accomplished by whatever pin in the serial connector is designated "ptt". The "ground" side has to be connected with the "ground" side of the serial connector for this to work.

Jerry W0HU

You don't actually attach your serial port direct to the mic connector. Ideally you should use an opto-isolator, like a 4N28 to make sure you don't damage the radio or PC. The serial port drives an LED in the opto-isolator, which in turn triggers a photo-transistor, which keys the radio. If you Google opto-isolator keying circuit you can find several examples, like this:

http://www.qsl.net/sv1bsx/keyer/key.htm

While it is for a CW transmitter, it should work for an HT as well.

It's pin 5(GND) and 7(RTS)

What I usually do, in this instance, is I have the GND go to common ground for the circuit, and pin 7 drives a transistor.
    Corey, KC2UGV

Thanks for all the information guys. I've decided this is all way over my head and am just going to save up for the pre-made cables since they're only $80. I just don't know enough about resistors and circuitry to pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by KD0KKV View Post
    Thanks for all the information guys. I've decided this is all way over my head and am just going to save up for the pre-made cables since they're only $80. I just don't know enough about resistors and circuitry to pull this off.
    This is a $20 job in parts... I'd say go for it. Never a better time to learn, right?

Easy peasy job. 1 transistor, 2 (Maybe 3) mono connectors, 3 resistors, and a diode.
    Corey, KC2UGV

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    This is a $20 job in parts... I'd say go for it. Never a better time to learn, right?

Easy peasy job. 1 transistor, 2 (Maybe 3) mono connectors, 3 resistors, and a diode.
    Yea, I know its cheaper, I just can't find clear instructions or help on how to construct it

Quote Originally Posted by KD0KKV View Post
    Yea, I know its cheaper, I just can't find clear instructions or help on how to construct it
    Well, take the circuit schematic you have, and place a transistor across the "gap". Collector or emitter pins depends on the transistor you use. Connect the base to the RTS pin of the comm port. Voila! You know have PTT control

You may need the diode, may not, depending on the noise. I only needed in on a rig, because if I turned the volume up too high it started to cut in and out.

Basically, remember: A transistor is a switch, and you are using the "Button" (aka Base) to turn it on. In order to "power the switch", you connect the base to the signal pin (RTS pin in this case).
    Corey, KC2UGV

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Well, take the circuit schematic you have, and place a transistor across the "gap". Collector or emitter pins depends on the transistor you use. Connect the base to the RTS pin of the comm port. Voila! You know have PTT control

You may need the diode, may not, depending on the noise. I only needed in on a rig, because if I turned the volume up too high it started to cut in and out.

Basically, remember: A transistor is a switch, and you are using the "Button" (aka Base) to turn it on. In order to "power the switch", you connect the base to the signal pin (RTS pin in this case).
    Ok, that makes some sense. What about the ground connection on the com port? Do I just not use that? Also, does a transistor flip with just a jolt, or a constant current? Sorry about all the beginner questions, I'm more of a software guy than hardware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast