ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc

Default Alinco DX-SR8 ?

While we're talking about new rigs (see kenwood thread), what's up with the new Alinco HF radio?

For the life of me I can't figure out why anybody would buy one of these. Who exactly is Alinco targeting? Are these more appealing in other parts of the world? Talk about ugly!

http://www.alinco.com/Products/DX-SR8/

If they sell at a steeper discount than say icom or yaesu, then I can see the appeal, it's just the cheapest choice possible. At the listed price, however, it seems to me that there are much better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by AB8RO View Post
    While we're talking about new rigs (see kenwood thread), what's up with the new Alinco HF radio?

For the life of me I can't figure out why anybody would buy one of these. Who exactly is Alinco targeting? Are these more appealing in other parts of the world? Talk about ugly!

http://www.alinco.com/Products/DX-SR8/

If they sell at a steeper discount than say icom or yaesu, then I can see the appeal, it's just the cheapest choice possible. At the listed price, however, it seems to me that there are much better choices.
    I really don't know either. It seems like it would be simple to operate, but then again, an Icom IC-718 is easy to operate too, and costs less.

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R
    Joseph Durnal - [callsign]NE3R[/callsign] ex N3PAQ
    [URL="http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com"]http://cryptojoe.blogspot.com[/URL]

KC0ZZH Guest

Just because something costs less doesn't mean it's a better deal..

'cmon guys, it's a "tawk all over the world" rig that's only slightly harder to operate than a cobra or a general lee, what could be more appealing that that?

73 m/4

And with a whopping "3 power output selections" too.

Bill
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

It is obviously an entry level rig with just basic features.

It looks like it might make a decent mobile rig in that it has a fairly large remotable display, so you don't need a magnifier to read it. It has minimal controls, which the operator can memorize the positions of, and thus operate without taking eyes off the road.

It is too new to have any reliability track record. What remains to be seen is Alinco's ability to support it via the new distributor. Something which certainly sucked pond water with the old distributor. As inexpensive as it is, I think I might just take a chance on one.
    Sebenny Trees

Quote Originally Posted by WC5P View Post
    It is obviously an entry level rig with just basic features.
    Of course. Like the icom 718.

It looks like it might make a decent mobile rig in that it has a fairly large remotable display, so you don't need a magnifier to read it. It has minimal controls, which the operator can memorize the positions of, and thus operate without taking eyes off the road.
    That occurred to me as well. It's not that much cheaper than the FT-857 though and doesn't cover vhf. At this point, however, I think that it's at least $100 cheaper than any competing remotable display radio and if the performance is better for not covering VHF then that may be a win.

I have my doubts, no VHF, no DSP, hardly seems compelling. Perhaps that's the market that they're going for, however.

It looks cheap. From what I have read, its predecessor wasn't all that great a rig either.
    ECHOLINK NODE#401099

And all that room on the rear panel, where they could have put interesting and standardized I-O ports -- but didn't.

It IS cheap.

It is also very simple to operate. For HF mobile, simpler is better (although an optional internal tuner certainly would have been nice).

For those of you who have never seen one, this thing is much larger than the pictures lead you to believe. It is about the size of a 757 / 890, not a micro radio like a 706 / 857 class.
    Sebenny Trees

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast