ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Yaesu FT-7900R Low Audio

Hello all, I'm a new ham and I'm having problems with my new FT-7900R. When I'm transmitting, I'm being told that my audio is very low. I was told to hold the mic closer or to speak louder, but neither should be the problem. I have talked on radios, commerical etc for many years so I'm not new to radio. I borrowed a friends Alinco DR-140 and was using it for a few weeks with no problems.

I did some research and found a review on Eham where one poster had this to say. "as a follow-up to my previous review the ft-7900 was found to have had a failure in the modulation circuit."

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so does it sound like my issue is related. I just installed my radio 2 days ago and am disappointed that it's not working like it should.

I have checked to make sure ARTS and WIRES is turned off, the Mic gain (menu 47) is set to wide. I can't think of anything else that it could be.

MODS...can you move this post to ham audio technology....sorry about that
    Last edited by KF5HHJ; 06-25-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Realized I put this post in the wrong thread

I have a FT7800 - check to see if there is a menu item that you can select the model # of the mic you are using. With my radio, I talk within 2 inches of the mic. Good to go. Hope you figure this out. 73 K1WJ David

Quote Originally Posted by K1WJ View Post
    I have a FT7800 - check to see if there is a menu item that you can select the model # of the mic you are using. With my radio, I talk within 2 inches of the mic. Good to go. Hope you figure this out. 73 K1WJ David
    Just checked that after you mentioned it, it was set correctly, so that isn't the problem. Thanks for bringing it up. Anyone else have any ideas?

find a local with the same mic.

swap and compare to isolate the trouble.

you could have a bad mic element.

also make sure the RJ-45 mic connector is inserted fully.
    -----

NRA Life Member
    USPSA / IPSC
    ARRL

Quote Originally Posted by KF9WY View Post
    find a local with the same mic.

swap and compare to isolate the trouble.

you could have a bad mic element.

also make sure the RJ-45 mic connector is inserted fully.
    That did the trick. I unplugged the mic and plugged it back in. Works like a charm. Thanks