ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Just asking for an opinion regarding 40 meter daytime propagation

Just asking for an opinion about QST's July propagation article! If I'm reading this right the best time and band for all around contacts in the daytime is 40 meters, while the current sunspot cycle "sucks"!

The article indicates that during the daytime 40 meter signals can get though the D-layer, with some loss, but bounce off of the E-layer to give some useful propagation. They do indicate that this is true only if you have an NVLS antenna and not a "low angle" radiation antenna. The catch is, they indicate that there is loss as your signal goes through the D-layer! Does this mean that a 100 watt SSB signal is SOL?

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Smile NOT sol

It's the old adage. If everyone is listening is the band dead?

Start calling. Ya never who will hear you. Now days I only work the low bands and most of the time I can scare up someone to chat with.

You may find more chatters around 7.250 Midday!

Lots of luck & don't give up!

Quote Originally Posted by KC4KM View Post
    It's the old adage. If everyone is listening is the band dead?

Start calling. Ya never who will hear you. Now days I only work the low bands and most of the time I can scare up someone to chat with.

You may find more chatters around 7.250 Midday!

Lots of luck & don't give up!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am now off work for 1/2 of the week so I think I will try it!

I think I have heard a "GOB" (good ole' boys) net around that frequency but have never felt encouraged to try and contact them.

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

9812 Banway Drive, Greenwell Springs, LA.

If you are interested in CW or digimodes, 30 meters is really where its at. Since January, I have logged more 30 meter QSOs than any other band, followed by 40, 80, 20, 17, and 15 (in that order). I do have a few 160 meter QSOs but thats a hard band to work right now with my loop and the vertical won't handle it.
    73, Heath/KE5FRF
    CWOps#776/SKCC#1940/NAQCC#1712/WAS#52445
    EchoLink Node#268023
    W5YI-VE
    My favorite mode? Morse, of course.

30 and 40 are both good in the daytime. 40 is typically more for regional contacts, and for more than just NVIS. Indeed, the critical frequency still isn't getting that much above 7 Mhz., so on many days NVIS isn't even possible on 40. NVIS on 60 would probably work better these days.

But from KS, it should be harder to work the two coasts on 40, but you should be able to work the central part of the country all day, or at least until late afternoon when the band goes 'long'. I'm often surprised at how much activity is there in the daytime.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

The old saying is "40 meters is always open to somewhere". Usually, it's regional (up to 1000 miles or so) in the daytime, and worldwide at night. There's amateur activity 24/7 on 40m. If you tune through 40m any time and don't hear signals, something is broken.
    73, Ron KR2D

40M is one of the best overall bands, but 30M outperforms it consistently.

I have most of my contacts, DX contacts and states on 40M.
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

40 has been pretty crappy lately, in my opinion. Lots of noise and really short skip. Still, I've managed to check into a few nets. I tried PSK on 30 and haven't had any luck. Could be my less than ideal antenna set up. If this hot weather would only let up for a couple of days, I could proceed with my next antenna project.
    ECHOLINK NODE#401099

Quote Originally Posted by KR2D View Post
    The old saying is "40 meters is always open to somewhere". Usually, it's regional (up to 1000 miles or so) in the daytime, and worldwide at night. There's amateur activity 24/7 on 40m. If you tune through 40m any time and don't hear signals, something is broken.
    I pretty much agree with this. 40 during the day will normally get you up to 1000 miles. You can go further, but it takes power and good antennas.

40 in the fall/winter will start going long as early as 2:00 pm local, and you can work east coast to Europe as early as then.

40 at night and especially during the winter is a flat out amazing band with worldwide propagation.

Honestly, it is my favorite band to operate on and its the band I have concentrated to optimize my station and antennas.
    -----> Take it to the system!

Especially during the cooler months, but sometimes during the warmer months, I can work Europe on 40 meters between 18 and 24 hours a day. This from the north side of Dallas, Texas. With Japan, during the cooler months, the JA stations often start coming in before midnight local time and I have still been working them after 1:00 PM local time on CW and almost noon on SSB. I do have the QSL cards to prove this!

However, there are several factors which contribute to this. First of all, I have phased verticals on 40 meters which lower the angle of radiation. Next, I live 1/2 block from the highest point in the City of Richardson so it is basically "down hill" in any direction which, in turn, lowers the angle of radiation even more. Finally, the ground conductivity in my immediate area is among the best in the United States.

Now for "close in" contacts even using just one of my verticals (I can separate them to use individually) doesn't work that well. I have to use a fairly low dipole for contacts out to between 700 and 1000 miles.

Glen, K9STH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast