ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec

Default Jan Crystals

Has anyone ordered crystals from Jan Crystals. Im looking for a 160 meter trasnmit crystal for my T4X and i cant find any for sale. I emailed Jan Crystals and they can make me one for $35.00 plus shipping.

The last time I ordered crystals for my Drakes was two years ago. I used ICM and their cost was $20 per crystal plus $10 shipping. Their price may have changed since then.

Default Jan Crystals

I am sorry to say that Jan crystals has a bad reputation with some people. One very experienced radio maintenance expert I know calls them nothing but junk.

My experience is quite limited with them. Back in the 70's I ordered a couple of WWII surplus crystals from them and I guess they were Okay.
    I did order a 2M crystal for my IC-215 from them in the early 80's and it did indeed quit on me.

ICM has an excellent reputation but I find them to be rather pricey.

Good Luck!

Default ICM

I'll check ICM tomorrow to see what they charge. If no luck with them, i'll keep checking Ebay and QTH.com. $35.00 seems kinda high i think.

I was going to order an upper sideband carrier offset crystal for my R-599 receiver, until I found out that the cost was around $75 ! I can't imagine that the cost of manufacturing such a rock would be so high!

Look before you leap! 73, good luck. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AG3Y View Post
    I was going to order an upper sideband carrier offset crystal for my R-599 receiver, until I found out that the cost was around $75 ! I can't imagine that the cost of manufacturing such a rock would be so high!

Look before you leap! 73, good luck. Jim

JAN used to be beyond reproach...of course that was a generation ago. I didn't know they had fallen off their pedestal. Well, as they say, caveat emptor.

Eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

Quote Originally Posted by WB5WSV View Post
    I am sorry to say that Jan crystals has a bad reputation with some people. One very experienced radio maintenance expert I know calls them nothing but junk.

My experience is quite limited with them. Back in the 70's I ordered a couple of WWII surplus crystals from them and I guess they were Okay.
    I did order a 2M crystal for my IC-215 from them in the early 80's and it did indeed quit on me.

ICM has an excellent reputation but I find them to be rather pricey.

Good Luck!
    I order a JAN crystal back in the 80's and it did work. I moved all of my crystal business to ICM because they use "coldweld" crystal cans which is a Superior technology to soldered crystal cans regarding "crystal aging".

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Default ok....

So id need to order a 12.9 Mhz crystal to get to 1.8 Mhz?

That sounds right.11.1 Meg difference. It has been a while, but I think that is what I have in my Drake twins.

As for Jan, I too remember them as the standard of the industry. Have not ordered from them in decades however...

$35.00 sounds about right, I would hate to try and homebrew an HC-6 myself...

Frank
    "Clear intent is the best predictor of experience"

Default I have

I've gotten a number of crystals over the years for the Ranger, HT-44/SX-117 and one of the sideband crystals for my HT-32. The HT-32 crystal was in 2008 when the total, including shipping, was $31. I've found the ordering process to be easy. They have the equipment requirements at hand and know what to ask.

The product has always been satisfactory but the price is always a surprise.

Harry, KT4AE
    Maryville, Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast