ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl

Post Good Beginner HF Rig

Hello Everyone,
    I will be taking my General exam soon. I want to start transmitting on HF, but I don't know a good rig. Could someone please guide me in the right direction for a decent, inexpensive HF rig for a beginner like me. Budget is tight though. So can't be in the $800s or above. I was thinking about the FT-857D because if you read my bio, that is my dream radio. What do you guys think? Thanks so much.

Dustin K7RPG

Greetings Dustin,

A great many folks love the FT-857D/897D line - for they are easy to use, and cover much of the spectrum. However, some people prefer separate radios for MF/HF and VHF/UHF. You have part of the upper frequencies already covered; therefore, a dedicated HF rig might appeal to you. But, like so much in life, in the compromise, you lose some portability that may be important to you (picnic/backpacking/camping/etc).

If you go the FT-857D route, I would look for a bargain from one of the major suppliers, or find a gently and lovingly used rig. This will allow some leftover money to start experimenting with antennas. As they say, ask a thousand people, get a thousand different answers.

Cheers,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by K7RPG View Post
    ... please guide me in the right direction for a decent, inexpensive HF rig for a beginner like me. Budget is tight though. So can't be in the $800s or above. I was thinking about the FT-857D ... Dustin K7RPG
    Dustin -

You have sort of answered your own question. There is nothing wrong with the FT-857D if that is what you want and it looks to be in your price range if you shop carefully. Even more so if you are able to find one used.

The real question is what YOU want in a rig, since for up to $800 you can get a very good radio, again particularly if you shop for a used one. If you like Yaesu equipment, I think I would be more inclined towards the FT-450, mostly because I prefer a table rig rather than one that is more of a mobile design. If you do not limit yourself to Yaesu, then you can find a very wide range of equipment available in your price range, both new and used.

Perhaps the best advice I can offer is to consider your needs and interests carefully and then shop for the best price you can find. Also remember to save some money for the antenna, whether you choose to buy one or build it yourself.

Good luck with your exam,
    -Danny
    [URL="http://www.dannyweiss.net"]Danny Weiss - W6SO[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.dannyweiss.net/contact"]E-mail Contact Page - Danny Weiss[/URL]

Kenwood TS-480 is a very good HF+6 radio and very easy to learn. Everything you need is on the front panel unlike the Ft-857 where everything is in menus. Also the display is far larger and easier to read and there's no having to remember what a particular onscreen icon does because the TS480 uses words instead of symbols.

If you want a proper desk filler, a used TS-850 will serve you well. They're knocking on now but were contest class radios back in the day and still serve well. They can be hooked up to a computer or SDR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by K7RPG View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I will be taking my General exam soon. I want to start transmitting on HF, but I don't know a good rig. Could someone please guide me in the right direction for a decent, inexpensive HF rig for a beginner like me. Budget is tight though. So can't be in the $800s or above. I was thinking about the FT-857D because if you read my bio, that is my dream radio. What do you guys think? Thanks so much.

Dustin K7RPG
    How much of that $800 do you plan on spending on antennas and whatnot? You could buy a G5RV, but then you'd need a tuner. Well, you are going to need a tuner anyway, unless you can put up an antenna farm, which would wipe out your $800 faster than you can imagine.

My suggestion would be to look for an older HF rig-something you could get for $350 or so. I got my IC-735 for less than that and it works great. Then you'd have some money for a tuner, power supply, and a couple of different antennas you could experiment with.

If you play your cards right, you could get a used HF rig, a used dual band VHF/UHF rig, the power supply, a used tuner, a G5RV, and a dual band antenna. There's plenty of time for that dream radio. KWIM?
    ECHOLINK NODE#401099

If you are going to use your rig both mobile and base, or as a mobile only, the 857 is the way to go. It is smaller, and has the removeable face. It is a nice radio and a good price

Having said that, I am a new General and I opted for the FT450, it is cheaper than the 857 so it left me some money for the power supply and antenna, it has IF-DSP and other newer features that are not in the 857. It works great for my purpose and that is a desktop radio.

Remember the radio is only a small part of your station, you need the power supply, tuner and more important, an antenna.

I would have to agree with most of the others the FT-450 would be a perfect fit for you just for :

It is a desk top radio

It is a newer design

Plus HF and 6m

I tend to avoid a shack in box combining all your radios together because if one goes down you have nothing. I take it you must have a 2m rig now use it and the rest of your money use for a HF radio only.

I do have several Icom 7000's and they are great radios they are a much better radio than the FT-857 and I'm a Yaesu man but the cost is more than you want to spend. I use one mobile and the other in a (Go KIT) and for field day.

But one thing to remember antennas, antennas, antennas and good coax. You can have the greatest radio in the world if not connected to a good antenna a cheap radio with a great antenna will out preform it every time.

Good luck and welcome to the world of HF real radio :-)
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Kenwood TS-480-AT

• Well featured
    • Good audio reports
    • Great for digital or remote control
    • Good value for the features/performance
    • Easy to use, small desk footprint
    • Mobile/portable operation

IMHO -

If it is your dream radio, why not live the dream???
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Quote Originally Posted by W6CD View Post
    Kenwood TS-480-AT

• Well featured
    • Good audio reports
    • Great for digital or remote control
    • Good value for the features/performance
    • Easy to use, small desk footprint
    • Mobile/portable operation

IMHO -
    All of those could be used to describe an 857 as well. IMO