ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Knight RF signal generator KG-696

I am looking for a schematic or a manual for a Knight KG-696 RF frequency generator. If anyone out there has one or knows where to get one the information would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks,
    73s
    K2OWK

There are several manuals for Knight signal generators on BAMA;

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/knight/

Whilst the 696 is not there, different instruments from the same maker often have a "family resemblance" and that can help.

Default Knight KG-696

Thanks, but none of the manuals on the Bama website can help me. I do need the schematic or the assembly manual for the Knight KG-696. I have this unit and it seems that the battery supply is wired wrong as is the modulation switch and power switch. Any help would be appreciated.

K2OWK

Quote Originally Posted by K2OWK View Post
    Thanks, but none of the manuals on the Bama website can help me. I do need the schematic or the assembly manual for the Knight KG-696. I have this unit and it seems that the battery supply is wired wrong as is the modulation switch and power switch. Any help would be appreciated.

K2OWK
    I made a mistake, mine is 686, sorry
    Ned
    Last edited by K7ELP; 05-26-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Pages deleted, sorry for the mixup.
    Ned

I have a 686 as well, which is appearantly the model they made the jump to transistors. Unfortunately, I have not had much luck with the "family resemblance" myself. While a manual would be great, I was able to isolate a few sub circuits and repair mine with a new transistor. It still has "issues", but I dont use it often enough, and have more then enough other irons in the fire, to keep me from sitting down and drawing up the whole circuit.
    Maybe someday I can get around to it, but until then, I will watch this thread with interest.
    [callsign]AB8XE[/callsign]

Default Knight rf generator KG-696

Thanks AB8EX, I to have managed to get my 696 working after a fashion. It will oscillate on the upper half of the dial on all frequencies, but will stop as soon as the dial reaches the 1/4 position down. I found this unit uses positive ground on the 9 volt battery. When I received it the battery supply was shorted out on the circuit board. It took some time to notice that the electrolitic capacitor on the board (there is just one) has the positive lead going to ground. This is not a mistake as the circuit board shows it this way. One question, was this Knight unit sold as a kit? Mine has the most horrible wiring I have seen, and I can see why it did not work at all when I received it. The built in modulator is also not working. I guess you and I have a spare time project. The outside of mine looks great to bad the inside is such a mess.
    Anyone out there with any other information it would be appreciated.
    K2OWK

Yes, Knight is an abbreviation of Knight-Kit from what I can tell, so it was definately available as a kit.
    Mine has some strange looking waveforms on some dial areas, and mine too is a mess inside. Mine does not appear to have any provision for a battery power supply. Another "someday" project, but it did the job I needed, when I needed it, so I guess I can say it paid for itself already.
    [callsign]AB8XE[/callsign]

A cute little instrument, typical of the many "modulated oscillators" that were around in those days.

Googling tells me that they were indeed sold as a kit by the makers, Allied Radio, hence the term Allied Knight sometimes seen.

I see that KB1AWV has one;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb1awv/4421748908/

It might be worth contacting him.

I hope you both can get your respective instruments going; I really like the basic instruments, oscillators, GDOs, VTVMs etc made by companies like Knight, Eico etc in this era.

They are usually not precision instruments but they served a purpose and the Art Deco designs are just plain cute.

Smile Knight KG-696

Just one last message. I contacted KB1AWV, he was kind enough to send me some high resoloution photos of the inside of the unit. Using these photos I was able to get my generator working as it is supposed to. I would like to thank everyone for there help.

73s
    K2OWK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast