ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default How should I install my G5RV Lite antenna

I'm in the process of setting up my first HF station. Ready to install the antenna but not sure which choice is better.

My options are:

1. East to West as a flat top or inverted V
    2. Northwest to Southeast as an inverted V

If it makes any difference I'm located in the San Francisco bay area.

73's
    Jeff
    KJ6EHS

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6EHS View Post
    My options are:
    1. East to West as a flat top or inverted V
    2. Northwest to Southeast as an inverted V
    Not enough information. With whom do you want to QSO on what band(s)? The G5RVjr's coverage is broadside on 40m and 20m. It is a cloverleaf pattern on 10m. If you run it E/W, you will have the West Coast covered on 40m and 20m.

In general, a G5RVjr (or G5RV) should be mounted as a flat top horizontal antenna.

Thanks for the response

From what I have read it seams that the G5RV tends to work best on 20 and 40 so I imagine that is where I will be spending most of my time. However I would like to explore the other bands as well.

As far as who I want to QSO with, being able to make international contacts i think would be great fun. But if it's not possible with this setup then I would be happy just getting on the air.

Thanks
    Jeff
    KJ6EHS

As far as who I want to QSO with, being able to make international contacts i think would be great fun.
    For that, you probably need to run the G5RVjr North/South. Pizza, available for free at:

http://www.tonnesoftware.com/

... will give you more perspective on the subject.

Thanks Cecil,

I found a way to run it North South.
    I have an old TV antenna mast I could mount the center to; however that would mean I will be running the antenna about 5' above my metal roof. Should I be expecting any problems from this or is the 5' enough separation.

The antenna has a 29' lead section, can that be run along the metal roof? If not how much separation will I need to avoid interference?

Lastly what is the best way to support the ends up high?
    I've seen fiberglass masts online, but at the moment its not in the budget. I kind of need a diy option.
    Last edited by KJ6EHS; 05-18-2010 at 06:37 PM.

I don't think your dipole is going to like a metal roof under it. Is it not possible to hang it somewhere where its in unobstructed space ? What's a G5RV Lite ?
    Don't think Mr Varney knew about that.

G0GQK

Quote Originally Posted by G0GQK View Post
    I don't think your dipole is going to like a metal roof under it. Is it not possible to hang it somewhere where its in unobstructed space ? What's a G5RV Lite ?
    Don't think Mr Varney knew about that.

G0GQK

If i hang it in unobstructed space it will need to be hung East to West. Looking at the map it appears I will get better coverage if it is hung North to South. Only the center section(about 15') would be over the metal roof. The rest would be over unobstructed space.

The G5rv Lite can be found here: http://www.radiowavz.com/html/g5rv.html

Thanks
    Jeff
    KJ6EHS

The G5rv Lite can be found here: http://www.radiowavz.com/html/g5rv.html
    I thought a G5RV-lite and a G5RVjr were the same thing but the G5RV-lite is 67 feet long with a 28 foot matching section. Here are what EZNEC says will be the SWRs on the coax on the different bands.

7.2 MHz, 20:1; 10.125 MHz, 2:1; 14.2, > 100:1; 18.14 MHz, 51:1; 21.3 MHz, 10:1; 24.95 MHz, 1.5:1; 28.4 MHz, 45:1

IMO, this is NOT a good antenna. The design frequency is somewhere around 15m. The "matching section" is doing more harm than good. It would be much better to run ladder-line all the way from the 67 foot dipole to the shack.

My advice is to avoid the 67 foot RadioWave G5RV-lite.

By looking at the picture on radiowavz website the G5RV lite has loading coils on the ends of the wire. So would that make it electronicaly longer?

Quote Originally Posted by N0LWF View Post
    By looking at the picture on radiowavz website the G5RV lite has loading coils on the ends of the wire. So would that make it electronicaly longer?
    Sorry, I didn't scroll down to the second picture and completely missed the loading coils. Yes, that might result in a loaded G5RV - for hams who don't have 102 feet for an antenna.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast