ad: Alphaant-1

The First MotoTrbo Ham Repeater In New York City

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2KTU, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W2KTU

W2KTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank Dinaro KC2CQR and freinds put up the first MotoTrbo Ham Repeater in the New York City metropolitan area. Coverage Includes Parts of NJ, Connecticut & Long Island. We are also connected via internet the possibilities are unlimited.

This MOTOTRBO Group is dedicated to the Amateur Radio Community, not the commercial sector. Mototrbo utilizes TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) digital voice, messaging, and GPS radio technologies, in addition to analog. Our system is open to all Amateur Radio Operators who have MotoTrbo compatible radios. Join us http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112582768753925

2. K3GAU

K3GAU Ham Member QRZ Page

YEP, just what we need!

YEP, just what we need in ham radio, another high priced pretty much single manufacturer digital communication system like D-star with trunking and internet connectitity, etc. :(
    Dave

3. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the only one here who sold out the most is this chick..

[​IMG]

she had to get tattoos of Motorola logo for her job. that sucks.

yea I 2nd the technology un-wow I dont see how its cool that radio systems are connected to the internet to be useful, until the codec's are open source and the technology is unified this is just another product for people to have fun with, but I really dont see how this "advances" the hobby.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's keep the AMATEUR in Amateur Radio.

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You think that guy behind her is trying to look down her dress?

6. K2TFT

K2TFT Guest

He might need MORE glasses:eek:

7. N8LWF

N8LWF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure don't want to rain on anyone's parade, who am I to judge?

But - Well said. Amateur Radio was literally built by hams themselves. When I was in the Boy Scouts (aaaages ago) the father of the scoutmaster was ham, (Tom Gloystein, was his name). He was amazing. He would QSO in SSB without even turning the VFO on. I have no idea how he did it.

He built everything he had, as much as he could. As I look back, it must have been pre-WWII stuff. (he was born ca1900-10?) The transmitter took an entire relay rack and was mostly all open. ("Don't touch anything!"). That made a permanent impression on me.

It wouldn't be much fun for me if all the hobby consisted of was just buying stuff and using it.

8. K4FLH

K4FLH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too Many Single Manufacturer Specific Systems

I need another manufacturer specific system about as much as a fish needs a bicycle! :rolleyes:
    When will it end? Oh! when WE quit buying into the sales hype.
    IMHO keep MotoTrbo in NYC!
    Bill/K4FLH
    Non illegitimis carborundum

9. N3FKS

N3FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe they're trying to sell us this.
    Commercial wireless ripped out TDMA 8 years ago.
    I do CW 95% of the time anyway. That was standardized about 120 years ago.

10. KD6KXR

KD6KXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the CQR repeater use the trbo digital mode? Is mototrbo Digital voice a part 97 accepted scheme? Is there any publicly available documentation on this particular digital protocol? This discussion came up recently in another forum. As I understand it Motorola has the protocol specification under proprietary lock and key== only developers licensed and certified by motorola can access the protocol? Is this still true?

11. W2GLD

W2GLD QRZ Lifetime Member #191 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's interesting to see how many hams seem to bash just about every new technology that comes down the pipeline simply because it doesn't fit personal agenda. In fact, as a group, it we do not embrace the experimentation in these technologies. ham radio will simply die and cease to exist for future generations; which may be fine for some of you old timers out there who are CW or wide-band analog junkies, but for those coming into the hobby with a fresh perspective; these technologies are a step in the right direction! You can choose to play, or simple continue doing what YOU enjoy in the hobby and allow those who wish to experiment the ability to do so and continue to growth of this fine hobby...

Digital is here to stay, whether it be D-Star, MotoTRBO, or Project-25; get use to it and move on...

Way to go New Yorkers, keep moving forward...

12. N4NXD

N4NXD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

this why ham radio's days are numbered.

it isn't the hospitals, the part 90 encroachment, the ARRL,

it's the closed minded, living in the past old farts who refuse to accept that we are supposed to be on the forefront of communications technology. The same people who forget about our service existing to provide a trained technically minded pool of radio operators ready to be called upon to serve their communities in times of need also neglect the part about advancing the art of radio communication as spelled out in our basis and purpose in part 97 it appears.

So we should just stick to using 50 year old analog FM, HF and not experiment with anything that might actually have any intrinsic technical value? What is the big deal here? Let me guess you all are opposed to IMBE, AMBE, OFDM,VOIP, and anything else that might actually require YOU to become technically competent and proficient with MODERN RADIO COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY and not your brass keys, vacuum tubes, and Gonsets?

If all we do is jaw jack on 50 year old technology occupying 40 billion dollars worth of spectrum exchanging post cards...what is the point to us even existing anymore?

13. N4NXD

N4NXD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ETSI has introduced a 2-slot TDMA standard known as DMR. Vertex Standard says they will have DMR products and FNE out this quarter. It's not hard to see that the ETSI DMR standard is very close to MotoTRBO in spec and bandwidth. With Vertex being owned by Motorola, it's only logical that one of two things will happen:

1)-the DMR standard will be modified to fit TRBO the same way Ma M convinced TIA to allow CQPSK and other MotoTWEAKS to P25 phase I.

2)-Motorola will add compatibility into future system releases of TRBO FNE, and mating firmware updates to subscriber radios to become compatible with the ETSI DMR standard.

As far as part 97, I don't see any restrictions on using TDMA do you?. So long as the transmissions do not utilize encryption and properly identify, there should not be an issue. The bandwidth is 6.25KHz, much more efficient use of spectrum than our legacy wideband standard we use now (and everyone else from 30-512MHz will be abandoning in 2013 sans GMRS)

14. W8JDA

W8JDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great!

Even if some think this is useless, I think it is great, they are experimenting and trying something new.

If this post was about a new 2 meter repeater, there would be people on here complaining that they cannot get into the repeater on a quarter watt on a portable 50 miles away or something.

Also, the whole thing about ham radio and internet is very annoying, just because the internet is not a reliable communications source. We are not police or fire or EMA or whatever.... Just experimenters. Amateur is just a hobby.

I have many repeaters linked together and I have learned over the past few years "if you build it, they will complain".

I think it is awesome that you guys are experimenting with MotoTurbo, good luck!

Just remember, everything has its place in ham radio. DStar, APRS, HF, Repeaters, CW, ect. just because you do not like it does not mean that everyone else does not... Just depends on what your into!

Justin, KD8EAD

15. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

While I do feel that there needs to be standards, and that there are to many non-interoperable digital radio systems right now.....

I do believe you have best summarized how I feel. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.