ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Question ATX Power Supply for Ham Radio?

I'm familiar with pages like this one that describe how to take an ATX power supply and turn it into an experimenter's bench supply with several voltages and other nice features. I'm curious though to see if it would be feasible to not modify the power supply in any way, and simply wire a molex connector to the power cables on my mobile rig and plug it right into one of the 12V connectors. Would this provide clean enough power, with enough voltage and amperage to run the rig? The power supply I had in mind is one I pulled form a P4 Dell Dimension 4400, and is rated for 14A @12VDC, and the radio I need to power is a 10W/45W 2-meter mobile rig. The specs for the radio say it needs 13.8VDC (+/-15%) and 10amps continuous, so I think this PSU will work, but I'm definitely interested in second opinions before I do something stupid and fry an expensive radio.

The DC power from an ATX power supply is clean and regulated.

The only problem you might have is if the power supply requires a minimum load on the 5v bus in order to assure the 12v bus regulates. If you can, check the complete specification for the power supply. If you can't, you might "bench test" this first to make sure it works.

Another small drawback is usually the +12v really is +12v and may nor may not adjust to anything above that. Most of our rigs will "work" at 12v (since they can be battery powered) but many won't run full power with such a low supply voltage and are really optimized for about 13.8Vdc, which is why when you buy a "factory adjusted" 12v power supply for ham radio work, it usually comes "out of the box" adjusted for 13.8Vdc (and not 12v).

One great advantage to the modern ATX and ATX12V etc. PC power supplies is they are almost all "universal input" and work fine with any AC line voltage from 90 to 250V, at 50 or 60 Hz (and often well beyond) so you can travel around the world and only change the wall plug without having to change the power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    The DC power from an ATX power supply is clean and regulated.

The only problem you might have is if the power supply requires a minimum load on the 5v bus in order to assure the 12v bus regulates. If you can, check the complete specification for the power supply. If you can't, you might "bench test" this first to make sure it works.
    I will also add to this. Depending upon the ATX power supply itself as well, some of them actually need a load (I use a 10w 10ohm resistor) on the 5v and 12v circuits. That is, so the power supply see's a load, and retains "latch".

On SOME of the power supplies, they may even need one on each "rail". As some power supplies actually have 2 12v circuits. Even more power supplies have 2 5v circuits now, and some are 2+ 12v circuits. This drasticly complicates repurposing the power supply for other then "PC" use.

The good news is, most 400w power supplies can output 10+ amps @ 12v, and maintain excellent voltage regulation.
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

[B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

I actually use this configuration....

although as the 12v rail is slightly above 12v and the radio likes 13.8, I actually use a 12 deep cycle battery as a float load so that the radio gets a nice steady flow...

i'm using a 350w power supply with a total of 17 amps for the 12v rails, now bear in mind that you may need to tie some wires together to get the full current output and that you need to b careful which wires you tie togther if it has more than one physical 12v rail.

the way mine worked out is that all the hdd wires are on one rail and th motherboard connector has the other rail, so I just tied all the 12v leads on the atx connector (along with their associated grounds) and the ones for the hdd i tied together too with their associated grounds.

as far as the floppy drive 12v wires go, they are used for low current applications like my tnc and so forth.

at the moment the system which comprises of the following (to clarify)

350W psu -> 12v deep cycle battery -> 1 IC-V8000 50W, 1 IC-2200H 50W, and an IC745 running at 100W

now i'v not tried all of them txing at the same time for obvious reasons.... but the 2200H and HF rig will happily sit there and tx at full power at the same time w/o any problems....

there is only one caveat you MUST take care of.... you need an automotive power diode in the positive lead if you do it the same way I have, that's because if the power goes to the psu, the battery will backfeed 12v into the power supply.

oh... and dont forget to ground the green wire

charlie
    ai4ri/2e0gom

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0GOM View Post
    as far as the floppy drive 12v wires go, they are used for low current applications like my tnc and so forth.
    Floppy drives use +5V only, no +12V.

there is only one caveat you MUST take care of.... you need an automotive power diode in the positive lead if you do it the same way I have, that's because if the power goes to the psu, the battery will backfeed 12v into the power supply.
    Normally this shouldn't be necessary; I'd look at the circuit, but usually there's nothing in the output stage of a PC power supply that could conduct reverse current. The drawback to using a diode here is its 0.6-0.8V drop, which will reduce the output voltage even lower than it normally is, which is routinely "too low" for a lot of ham gear to begin with.

It takes about 13V to charge a 12V battery typically, and if you reduce the voltage to anything as low as 12V or lower, the charging current can be very small (possibly zero) so you're only charging with a "trickle" and not a rapid charge. I'd monitor the charge current and assure it's always a positive number that is equal to the actual load current to prevent depleting the battery.

I have been to do it.It's a good idea.

Floppy drives use +5V only, no +12V.
    yes but there's still a 12v line on the connector - at least on th one I have

Normally this shouldn't be necessary; I'd look at the circuit, but usually there's nothing in the output stage of a PC power supply that could conduct reverse current. The drawback to using a diode here is its 0.6-0.8V drop, which will reduce the output voltage even lower than it normally is, which is routinely "too low" for a lot of ham gear to begin with.

It takes about 13V to charge a 12V battery typically, and if you reduce the voltage to anything as low as 12V or lower, the charging current can be very small (possibly zero) so you're only charging with a "trickle" and not a rapid charge. I'd monitor the charge current and assure it's always a positive number that is equal to the actual load current to prevent depleting the battery.
    I agree, although YMMV somewhat, I dont use one myself and when the commercial power goes, the battery powers the fan lol. why i havent worked out yet, but it's very rare for our power to go out anyways (gen backup).

as far as "charging" yes it keeps it at a nice float charge. it's been sitting like that for 6+ months now and works nicely..

like i say... YMMV

charlie

Well in case anyone else wants to give this a try, I got it working just fine with no modification at all. I'm using a 250W PSU from a Dell Dimension 4400. I shorted the green wire on the ATX connector to a ground wire on same connector, spliced in a spare 2xMolex->PCIE connector I butchered for the purpose, and wired that to the DC cord that came in the mail today along with the mag mount 144Mhz antenna. I have not (a cannot currently) transmitted with it, so I'm not sure if it would handle that load, but just as a receiver everything works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HANDLE2001 View Post
    I have not (a cannot currently) transmitted with it, so I'm not sure if it would handle that load, but just as a receiver everything works fine.
    I can guarantee you it will not handle the load. The math IIRC, says that peak the power supply should deliver 20.3 amp's. However you need to calculate efficiency into that as well.

Honestly, I would say that "safely" and build wise, I doubt it would sustain 10amps very well at all.
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

[B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by KI6ZIF View Post
    I can guarantee you it will not handle the load. The math IIRC, says that peak the power supply should deliver 20.3 amp's. However you need to calculate efficiency into that as well.

Honestly, I would say that "safely" and build wise, I doubt it would sustain 10amps very well at all.
    A 250 watt computer power supply is fairly small particularly if it is of the older variety that doesn't expect the CPU to be running from 12v.

This replacement claims 9 - 13 Amps max

http://www.cputopia.com/replace-250w...sion-4400.html

One reasonable way to use it, of course, is just to run the radio on its lowest power setting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast