ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper

Default SSB on a handheld?

I see that most 2m amps have a toggle for fm or ssb. Is it possible to do ssb on a handheld with some sort of amplifier or other equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by KD0KKV View Post
    I see that most 2m amps have a toggle for fm or ssb. Is it possible to do ssb on a handheld with some sort of amplifier or other equipment?
    It would only be possible if the handheld was built to transmit SSB. I'm not aware of any that are. There are mobile size radios that do. Icom IC-271, Yaesu FT-817. Possibly others.

No, sadly, I'm not aware of an available HT that will do SSB - I think the closest thing would be a Yaesu FT-817, which is battery portable.

FWIW, the SSB setting simply delays the T/R sensing so that a pause in the SSB does not return the amp to receive.

The smaller amps are also great for older 2m mobile rigs, that were only 5-10w out.

Look at Rigpix.com. You'll find quite a few "mobile" non handheld 2m "All mode" rigs that are under 15w's output.

Just the kenwood ones I know of: TR-9000, TR-9130
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

[B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by KD0KKV View Post
    Only if the HT can do SSB.

A few such HT's were made, but as far as I know, none are being sold (at least in the US) at present. The FT-817 comes close, though it really needs to be hung from the shoulder or neck for portable walkabout. With a decent multimode (linear) 2m amplifer and some efficient batteries you could have some fun on the mountain. (Or even without an amp.)

The reason for FM/SSB switches on the amplifiers is to set the RF-operated TR relay time long enough to prevent relay chattering between SSB syllables or words.

Cortland
    KA5S

I do have an FT290, battery operated, and like FT817, they are more of a "backpack"HT's than mobiles.

Even FT897 fits this description (if you push really hard to fit it in, hihi....)

in any case, QRO HT battery operation is not as a viable option, since safety, endurance for prolonged operations and some reciprocality (call me antenna gain) must be considered for overall field operation planning.

The TH-F7 has a SSB-capable receiver, BTW. some VERTEX HT's come with 1W AM.

Maybe some day someone will shrink circuitry down to the point that 5W SSB HT on 2m/222/440 would be plausible.
    [URL="http://www.qsl.net/sv9ofo/"]SV9OFO[/URL]

-You added a linear amplifier for $249?
    -Not exactly, but I did bought a Yaesu boatanchor FL2100Z 2 X 572 for $180 and 2 chinese tubes for $50... and then did some rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by SV9OFO View Post
    I do have an FT290, battery operated, and like FT817, they are more of a "backpack"HT's than mobiles.

Even FT897 fits this description (if you push really hard to fit it in, hihi....)

in any case, QRO HT battery operation is not as a viable option, since safety, endurance for prolonged operations and some reciprocality (call me antenna gain) must be considered for overall field operation planning.

The TH-F7 has a SSB-capable receiver, BTW. some VERTEX HT's come with 1W AM.

Maybe some day someone will shrink circuitry down to the point that 5W SSB HT on 2m/222/440 would be plausible.
    The FT-817 already does this on 144/432 but not 222. Pity, because that "could have" been included, but they didn't do it -- probably because 222 MHz is a ham band only in ITU Region 2, and not in Japan.

I remember a ten meter and a six meter SSB hand held radio; however for the life of me, I can't come up with a manufacturer's name. IIRC it used a VXO (Variable Crystal Oscillator). It was a somewhat boxy affair similar to some early business band hand-held radios. I remember seeing one at a hamfest a few years back.

There was a SSB CB handheld, the Cherokee AH-100. I don't know if it is still made or if it is a candidate for conversion to ten meters...by a licensed amateur with ten meter privaleges, of course.
    73 DE KAGKT/7

--Steve

Default Re: SSB on a handheld?

Quote Originally Posted by SV9OFO View Post
    The olde Icom IC202 (2m), IC402 (70cm), and IC502 (6m) while not handhelds, were battery portables that operated SSB & CW. Icom also produced the IC505 (6m) that was an all-mode portable.
    Bryan WA7PRC

Talking Could the SSB handhelds be AEA?

AEA made some boxy little plastic radios for 6 & 2M, I should dig them
    out of the bin they are hiding in. ( maybe?? ) Reminder: there is no 'free lunch', battery powered rigs run shorter TX time in smaller sizes. Timewave purchased AEA except for antennas & analyzers.
    73 KB0MNM- Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by KA0GKT View Post
    I remember a ten meter and a six meter SSB hand held radio; however for the life of me, I can't come up with a manufacturer's name. IIRC it used a VXO (Variable Crystal Oscillator). It was a somewhat boxy affair similar to some early business band hand-held radios. I remember seeing one at a hamfest a few years back.

There was a SSB CB handheld, the Cherokee AH-100. I don't know if it is still made or if it is a candidate for conversion to ten meters...by a licensed amateur with ten meter privaleges, of course.
    To send Internet e-mail to both me and my YL Karen use:
    [EMAIL="jklivingston10@att.net"]jklivingston10@att.net[/EMAIL]
    for us. The QRZ private mail system also
    forwards it. 73 de KB0MNM- Jon:)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast