Callsign
ad: fan-nan
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: SSB on a handheld?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
  1. #1

    Default SSB on a handheld?

    I see that most 2m amps have a toggle for fm or ssb. Is it possible to do ssb on a handheld with some sort of amplifier or other equipment?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KD0KKV View Post
    I see that most 2m amps have a toggle for fm or ssb. Is it possible to do ssb on a handheld with some sort of amplifier or other equipment?
    It would only be possible if the handheld was built to transmit SSB. I'm not aware of any that are. There are mobile size radios that do. Icom IC-271, Yaesu FT-817. Possibly others.

  3. #3

    Default

    No, sadly, I'm not aware of an available HT that will do SSB - I think the closest thing would be a Yaesu FT-817, which is battery portable.

    FWIW, the SSB setting simply delays the T/R sensing so that a pause in the SSB does not return the amp to receive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    CM97cg
    Posts
    753

    Default

    The smaller amps are also great for older 2m mobile rigs, that were only 5-10w out.

    Look at Rigpix.com. You'll find quite a few "mobile" non handheld 2m "All mode" rigs that are under 15w's output.

    Just the kenwood ones I know of: TR-9000, TR-9130
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

    [B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    6,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KD0KKV View Post
    I see that most 2m amps have a toggle for fm or ssb. Is it possible to do ssb on a handheld with some sort of amplifier or other equipment?
    Only if the HT can do SSB.

    A few such HT's were made, but as far as I know, none are being sold (at least in the US) at present. The FT-817 comes close, though it really needs to be hung from the shoulder or neck for portable walkabout. With a decent multimode (linear) 2m amplifer and some efficient batteries you could have some fun on the mountain. (Or even without an amp.)

    The reason for FM/SSB switches on the amplifiers is to set the RF-operated TR relay time long enough to prevent relay chattering between SSB syllables or words.

    Cortland
    KA5S

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Iraklion, Crete, Greece
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I do have an FT290, battery operated, and like FT817, they are more of a "backpack"HT's than mobiles.


    Even FT897 fits this description (if you push really hard to fit it in, hihi....)


    in any case, QRO HT battery operation is not as a viable option, since safety, endurance for prolonged operations and some reciprocality (call me antenna gain) must be considered for overall field operation planning.

    The TH-F7 has a SSB-capable receiver, BTW. some VERTEX HT's come with 1W AM.

    Maybe some day someone will shrink circuitry down to the point that 5W SSB HT on 2m/222/440 would be plausible.
    [URL="http://www.qsl.net/sv9ofo/"]SV9OFO[/URL]

    -You added a linear amplifier for $249?
    -Not exactly, but I did bought a Yaesu boatanchor FL2100Z 2 X 572 for $180 and 2 chinese tubes for $50... and then did some rebuild.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SV9OFO View Post
    I do have an FT290, battery operated, and like FT817, they are more of a "backpack"HT's than mobiles.


    Even FT897 fits this description (if you push really hard to fit it in, hihi....)


    in any case, QRO HT battery operation is not as a viable option, since safety, endurance for prolonged operations and some reciprocality (call me antenna gain) must be considered for overall field operation planning.

    The TH-F7 has a SSB-capable receiver, BTW. some VERTEX HT's come with 1W AM.

    Maybe some day someone will shrink circuitry down to the point that 5W SSB HT on 2m/222/440 would be plausible.
    The FT-817 already does this on 144/432 but not 222. Pity, because that "could have" been included, but they didn't do it -- probably because 222 MHz is a ham band only in ITU Region 2, and not in Japan.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    I remember a ten meter and a six meter SSB hand held radio; however for the life of me, I can't come up with a manufacturer's name. IIRC it used a VXO (Variable Crystal Oscillator). It was a somewhat boxy affair similar to some early business band hand-held radios. I remember seeing one at a hamfest a few years back.

    There was a SSB CB handheld, the Cherokee AH-100. I don't know if it is still made or if it is a candidate for conversion to ten meters...by a licensed amateur with ten meter privaleges, of course.
    73 DE KAGKT/7

    --Steve

  9. #9

    Default Re: SSB on a handheld?

    Quote Originally Posted by SV9OFO View Post
    I do have an FT290, battery operated, and like FT817, they are more of a "backpack"HT's than mobiles.
    The olde Icom IC202 (2m), IC402 (70cm), and IC502 (6m) while not handhelds, were battery portables that operated SSB & CW. Icom also produced the IC505 (6m) that was an all-mode portable.
    73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    649

    Talking Could the SSB handhelds be AEA?

    AEA made some boxy little plastic radios for 6 & 2M, I should dig them
    out of the bin they are hiding in. ( maybe?? ) Reminder: there is no 'free lunch', battery powered rigs run shorter TX time in smaller sizes. Timewave purchased AEA except for antennas & analyzers.
    73 KB0MNM- Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by KA0GKT View Post
    I remember a ten meter and a six meter SSB hand held radio; however for the life of me, I can't come up with a manufacturer's name. IIRC it used a VXO (Variable Crystal Oscillator). It was a somewhat boxy affair similar to some early business band hand-held radios. I remember seeing one at a hamfest a few years back.

    There was a SSB CB handheld, the Cherokee AH-100. I don't know if it is still made or if it is a candidate for conversion to ten meters...by a licensed amateur with ten meter privaleges, of course.
    To send Internet e-mail to both me and my YL Karen use:
    [EMAIL="jklivingston10@att.net"]jklivingston10@att.net[/EMAIL]
    for us. The QRZ private mail system also
    forwards it. 73 de KB0MNM- Jon:)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •