ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Smile Worked All Britain (WAB) Square

Hello all.
    I dont have access to an OS map, so I'm looking to find my WAB Square by converting either my lat/long or my IN89VF locator.
    Web searches so far point to using "streetmap", but that doesn't cover my Jersey Island country (GJ Prefix)
    Can anyone turn the light on for me?
    Thanks
    Steve

A bit of a problem there Steve!

The WAB squares are based on the Ordnance Survey grid and the OS does not appear to cover the Channel Islands.

I can only suggest that you contact the WAB organisation and ask them.

Just browsing while composing this reply, click on this link, have a read and go to definitions.
    http://www.worked-all-britain.co.uk/

It seems as though the Channel Islands are not part of the OS system and WAB for CI uses a different grid.

Jim GM3ZMA

Thanks Jim.
    I'll check out with some of the local QRM. I know we can get it, but I dont have the info to hand. I have used it for Lighthouses OTA etc. Bit more digging me thinks!

I see that WAB have a "Channel Islands Award", which can be claimed for working 5 WAB Squares on any of, or a mixture of, the Channel Islands; so they must have some way of defining the CI squares:

http://wab.intermip.net/Channel%20Islands%20Award.php

Steve G3TXQ

Hello Steve,
    I've looked in all my maps, Michelin Atlas, Royal Mail Postcode Atlas, AA maps of Europe, and two bound AA Road Atlas's of Britain, even a 1987 WAB handbook without a trace of information, but I can tell you something, you are in IARU locator IN89. Fat lot of good knowing that isn't it ! But I tried.

Mel G0GQK

Steve,

Just discovered I have an OS map covering Jersey - if I knew where you were I could give you the square.

It looks like just 6 cover the Island:

WV54, WV64, WV74, WV55, WV65, WV75

Unfortunately St Peter district crosses a couple of squares so I can't say exactly which you are in. La Route de Beaumont is in WV55 at the North West end and in WV64 at the Beaumont end. Looks more likely to be WV55 going by your locator square converted to Lat/Long and a look on Google maps.

Steve G3TXQ
    Last edited by G3TXQ; 04-14-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Nice one Steve.
    My QTH is just NE of the runway threshold, and adjacent to the church (almost).
    I will perhaps raise the subject on the "after-news-net" on Sunday.....it may save us all some precious time in the future!
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Happy Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GJ6WRI View Post
    Nice one Steve.
    My QTH is just NE of the runway threshold, and adjacent to the church (almost).
    I will perhaps raise the subject on the "after-news-net" on Sunday.....it may save us all some precious time in the future!
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Happy Steve
    Then it's definitely WV55. But by the time you get to the junction of La Route de Beaumont with the B36 you're into WV65.

Steve G3TXQ
    Last edited by G3TXQ; 04-15-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks Steve.
    Records updated and RW6HKF informed of the detail (he was the station requesting the info!)
    Case Closed.
    Best 73
    Steve