ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Question WIndows7 and Echolink UDP Port Sttings

Hello all, Hopefully someone has gotten Windows 7 to work with Echolink?
    My XP computer brings up and works well with XP. No problems with the UDP or TCP Ports!
    Just got a new puter with win7, and I am trying to get Echo Link up and running.
    I found WIN7 uses an area in the Firewall advanced Security section, uses Inbound Rules and Outbound Rules, and New Rules must be set for the UDP and TCP ports!
    I have not been able to find out exactly how to use the New Rules?
    To date the My Echolink pgm (2.0.908) Current download , can connect to the Test Server properly, but will not communicate with a station!

When using the Firewall/Router Test in Tools. I get
    TCP Succeeded
    UDP 5198 test #1 Rcvr failed
    UDP 5199 Test #1 rcvr failed
    UDP 5198 test #2 Succeeded
    uDP 5199 test #2 Rcvr Failed
    FIrewall test failed.

I hope someone can direct me to a STEP by Step method of plugging in the NEW RULES to enable the correct UDP setup for WIN 7.
    Thanks rob n8rt

Rob, do you have a router in your home? A wireless router or a even just one that lets more than one computer access the net from your home?

If so, simply turn OFF the firewall in Windows 7. Your router's firewall is enough.

Default Echolink on D-Link DI-808HV router?

Quote Originally Posted by VA3CSS View Post
    Rob, do you have a router in your home? A wireless router or a even just one that lets more than one computer access the net from your home?

If so, simply turn OFF the firewall in Windows 7. Your router's firewall is enough.
    I've never been able to get Echolink working with my D-Link DI-808HV router by following the instructions, in any version of Windows or Linux. The only way Echolink works is by temporarily disabling the router's firewall, and I'm certainly not going to do that.

Anybody have a solution? There's a group on Echolink I've been wanting to access, but I can't.
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

Quote Originally Posted by W0BTU View Post
    I've never been able to get Echolink working with my D-Link DI-808HV router by following the instructions, in any version of Windows or Linux. The only way Echolink works is by temporarily disabling the router's firewall, and I'm certainly not going to do that.

Anybody have a solution? There's a group on Echolink I've been wanting to access, but I can't.

You went to ADVANCED then VIRTUAL SERVER? Then set the private IP to the IP of the machine that you are running EchoLink on? Then set the protocol to UDP, and set the private port and public port to the same thing? Set Schedule to Always?

That worked perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by N8RT View Post
    Hello all, Hopefully someone has gotten Windows 7 to work with Echolink?
    My XP computer brings up and works well with XP. No problems with the UDP or TCP Ports!
    Just got a new puter with win7, and I am trying to get Echo Link up and running.
    I found WIN7 uses an area in the Firewall advanced Security section, uses Inbound Rules and Outbound Rules, and New Rules must be set for the UDP and TCP ports!
    I have not been able to find out exactly how to use the New Rules?
    To date the My Echolink pgm (2.0.908) Current download , can connect to the Test Server properly, but will not communicate with a station!

When using the Firewall/Router Test in Tools. I get
    TCP Succeeded
    UDP 5198 test #1 Rcvr failed
    UDP 5199 Test #1 rcvr failed
    UDP 5198 test #2 Succeeded
    uDP 5199 test #2 Rcvr Failed
    FIrewall test failed.

I hope someone can direct me to a STEP by Step method of plugging in the NEW RULES to enable the correct UDP setup for WIN 7.
    Thanks rob n8rt

In Windows 7, delete any rules that you made in the firewall. Then launch EchoLink. You should be prompted to create an exception. Create the exception, and EchoLink should work just fine.

Thank You ALL for the info. A few others posted info that WIN 7 works just fine with Echolink, without using UDP or 5200 in the Firewall NEW Rules. SO I deleted all the NEW rules UDP and TCP edits.

In Windows accessories COMMAND Prompt, I Typed in IPCONFIG, and found my computer IP Address, Next I checked my Linksys Router to make sure it was POrt forwarding to my correct IP address. It was not , so I edited the Port Forwarding for both UDP 5198 and 5199 and TCP 5200 , and ECHOLINK, FIREWALL Passed !
    I am now running ECHOLINK on WIndows 7 just fine.
    73 Rob N8RT

Howdy,

Yeah, I just installed Echolink on Winblows 7and it immediately asked for the "exception" which I approved. (WIN7 Ultimate 64bit)

My Linksys router is another situation though.

The instructions to allow the UDP ports are easy enough. The main problem most will probably have is that you MUST set up your router clients with an assigned IP address.

You cannot use DHCP on your router and the computer you want to use with Echolink unless you reconfigure the port forwarding every time you reboot your computer and/or the router assigns a new IP address! You then would have to set up the routers port forwarding every time.

The "fix" is to use a fixed IP address on the computer you want to use for Echolink and configure port forwarding in the router for that address......

I used the website www.portforward.com.

They have instructions for setting up Echolink on many different routers. Echolink is one of the programs in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by K7MYR View Post
    You cannot use DHCP on your router and the computer you want to use with Echolink unless you reconfigure the port forwarding every time you reboot your computer and/or the router assigns a new IP address! You then would have to set up the routers port forwarding every time.

The "fix" is to use a fixed IP address on the computer you want to use for Echolink and configure port forwarding in the router for that address......
    No, the "fix" is increasing your Lease Time for the IP address to something more than one hour. This is done in your router as well.

Or... see if your router has a firmware update that allows you to connect an IP address to your MAC address, making lease times irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by VA3CSS View Post
    No, the "fix" is increasing your Lease Time for the IP address to something more than one hour. This is done in your router as well.

Or... see if your router has a firmware update that allows you to connect an IP address to your MAC address, making lease times irrelevant.
    But that lease time is more for the Router address to the ISP and not the LAN client addresses is it?

At any given time I probably have 5 or more active connections on my LAN ........ 192.168.1.100, 101, 102, 103 etc.

I know I can switch everyone to fixed addresses .....

But everyone is using a laptop or netbook, iPhone etc and doesn't want to have to switch back and forth from fixed to DHCP....

What am I missing here?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast