ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Heil HM-10, 4 pin XLR to 4 pin Ten Tec

Would like help with wiring diagram. My Heil cord has red, white, green, black wires and shield. What goes where for use on a Ten Tec 4 pin Omni VI
    mic plug?? Tired of running searches...thanks for your help. 73 Vance

Instead of thinking in terms of matching wire colors, try to solve this issue in terms of logical function.

For example, the microphone is intended to perform the following "functions"

TX (Depress PTT)
    RX (Release PTT)
    Mic Audio
    GND Shield

It seems natual the ground shield from the microphone cable would connect to the GND pin function on the Omni. (See user manual)

Also we know that mic audio wires are always surounded by the outer GND shielding. So the wire inside this shield must be the mic audio wire.

So, what pin number on the audio rig corresponds to the audio wire connection on the omni? (See mic pin diagram in user manual)

So what does that leave? Two wires left to conect to the rig?

Why it seems the two wires left over must be RX and the other must be TX.

One of these wires left over on the microphone cable is going to perform the TX function and the other one is RX.

If you depress your microphone and you start hearing the speaker instead or if you plug in the mic and it starts to TX while the PTT switch is released, then have the RX and TX wires backwards.
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

I need help with a wiring diagram.
    I have a Heil cord that has red, white, green, black conductors and a shield. What goes where for use on a Ten Tec 4 pin Omni VI mic plug??
    I am tired of running Internet searches.
    Thanks for your help. 73 Vance
    Vance -

Endless Internet searches are normally caused by:

1. Not starting with the manufacturer's web pages and published support documents or reading manuals.
    2. Not knowing how to phrase the question -- to get the answer for your specific DIY work.
    ====
    The HM-10 Dual microphone has a standard 3-pin XLR connector (used in professional audio).
    http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/pro...dual/index.htm

To USE the HM-10 you REQUIRE an external PTT switch, OR MUST be using VOX.

Heil Sound sells the CC-T1/Orion cable in order to interface the Heil HM-10 to your specific TenTec radio model.
    (Heil sells 3 cable types just for TenTec).

Note: Each of the CC-1 Adapter Cables is terminated on one end to mate with the HM-10 microphone connector.
    The other end of the cable terminates in a connector compatible with your specific radio.
    A " in-line female phone jack is provided in the CC-1 Adapter Cable for connection to our FS-2 Foot Switch or HS-2 Hand Switch, for PTT activation.
    The CB-1 PTT Base includes a PTT switch and cable for connection to the CC-1 PTT input jack. -Heil Sound

Are you attempting to wire you own interface cable?
    Are you using Heil's wire?
    http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/adapters/mics.pdf

G4WPW Microphone Wiring web site (Heil had this link right on their web site).
    http://www.qsl.net/g4wpw/date.html

TEN-TEC OMNI VI - 4 pin microphone connector - pin assignments.

PIN 1 = MIC +
    PIN 2 = MIC - (mic ground)
    PIN 3 = PTT +
    PIN 4 = +9 VOLTS (for microphones with internal pre-amps OR elecret elements)
    SHELL/CHASSIS = GROUND

Say Hello to Ken, KA0Y

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-12-2010 at 02:35 AM.
    Nullius in verba

To USE the HM-10 you REQUIRE an external PTT switch, OR MUST be using VOX.

Mine doesn't. There's a PTT switch on the mic.

Mine doesn't. There's a PTT switch on the mic.
    Then your HM-10 will have a FOUR pin commercial XLR-connector on the Microphone,
    That commercial 4-pin XLR connector has the following pin assignments:

1 - GND Shield,
    2 - MIC,
    3 and 4 PTT lines

These microphone normally have a 1 mfd non-polar decoupling capacitor installed for usage with ICOM radios (protects element from phantom / bias power from these radio microphone line).

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

Yep, the 4-pin XLR, too. And on the 4-pin radio connector there's a pigtail with 1/4" phone jack for footswitch PTT.

Very nice professional audio quality mic... I'm a musician, I would know.