ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG

Question yaesu ft-2400h memory battery

the memory battery is dead in my yaesu ft-2400h. does anyone know what battery it uses? and or know where i can buy one. yaesu wants me to send it to SD to have it replaced. i cant really see paying to have it shipped there and back and what ever price to replace it when i can solder it in myself, or just go VFO.

thanks

[FONT=Times New Roman]Greg Parker[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]NM8B[/FONT]

Greg -

Earlier QRZ Q&A Question about this radio and battery replacement:
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?p=1804699

The batteries in these VHF/UHF radios are lithium coin cells with solder tabs.
    Instructions are not provided to end users by Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu for this replacement.

Replacement requires GOOD soldering skills (For Beginners or those with NO experience -- it is a disaster) .. since you will be working around the logic ICs for the radios.
    In older radios, some replacement logic ICs/uProcessors are unobtainium.
    The mfg. expected you to consult your local amateur radio dealer, if that service / replacement is required.

I will assume that you have proper equipment, ability to disassemble radio without losing screws and parts and have necessary soldering skills.

Do you have a Batteries Plus retail store near your QTH? They sell lithium coin cells and they have the proper equipment to spot weld the proper tabs on that coin cell for your radio.

You could also order from Yaesu parts or Batteries America.
    The service department of your local amateur radio dealers (R&L, HRO, AES, Burghardt's) --
    CAN do this work.

w9gb
    =====
    Here is what one amateur said in 2001:
    http://lists.contesting.com/archives...n1.ga.home.com

I think I know why you got that response. When asked by a friend to replace the battery in his FT-2400,
    I found that the lithium battery was actually spot-welded to battery tabs which were soldered to the PC board.
    I expected to find a spring-type contact holding the battery, but the solder tabs were like thick aluminum foil or very thin metal tabs. There was also a strip of double-sided tape holding things in place.

It wasn't a trivial task to replace - for me anyway. Good luck...
    73 Mike AF4UL
    Last edited by W9GB; 03-30-2010 at 02:59 AM.
    Nullius in verba

Battery Bob has the batteries with tabs on them. I bought one recently for a Kenwood.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Default Battery

Walmart has them. Thats where I got mine.

Walmart has them. Thats where I got mine.
    Really? Solder Tab Lithium Coin Cells?

They do sell the lithium coin cells that REQUIRE a coin cell socket ... BUT I have never seen solder tab versions.

Why did the Eastern Asia radio mfg use these solder tab coin cells -- rather than just a coin cell holder/socket and off the shelf coin cells at your local drug store?

1. The coin cells are in MOBILE VHF/UHF radios of the 1990s electronics design era. Current state of the art memory does not require the separate battery approach.
    2. A coin cell in a socket/holder can and will "pop-out" with typical G forces in automobiles/trucks. Radio then loses memories, stops functioning and has a lithium battery rattling around as a "potential short" for the radio.
    3. Minimize operational issues -- avoid consumer/owner putting battery in (wrong polarity) and damaging radio components.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba