ad: CQMM-1

Winradio WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PH5E, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

WinRadio is about to introduce a new, affordable SDR receiver in the form of the Winradio WR-G31DDC "Excalibur".

According to WinRadio:
    The WR-G31DDC receiver will be available in approx February/March next year.
    The product is aimed at amateur shortwave listeners, and the price will be
    very affordable.

More information on the WinRadio site:
    http://winradio.com/home/g31ddc.htm

2. KF5CSW

KF5CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm... Sounds interesting. I wonder how "affordable" it will be?

3. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

The WINRADIO "LOW COST" SWR they have now WR-303i and WR-303e both Internal and external runs $599..

73 jerry

4. KA4AIY

KA4AIY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds good... but...

Like most such innovations it will be pricey.. sadly, John Calvin rules SW listening innovators like the rest of radio technologists... I would be more enthusiastic if a market price was set around $250 versus what I predict will be a bloated price tag driven by Calvin's "chosen" model as defined by his disciple-Adam Smith-and his justification of the entrepreneur's greed.

So it would not surprise to see a market entry price of well over $500 or even $600. It recycles the answer given to the timeless question of "why do dogs lick themselves?" Because they can.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

It is said the new WinRadio must compete with the Perseus SDR receiver, which goes for $1200 at Universal-Radio. If WinRadio manages to sell the Excaliber for half that, they will very probably call is 'affordable'.

6. K6HX

K6HX Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like a very interesting little radio. I've been enjoying my RFSpace SDR-IQ, which only digitizes 190K of spectrum at a time. If this new WinRadio comes in at around the price of an SDR-IQ ($500) they could be reasonably successful.

Whether you think such a radio is worth $250 or $500, it seems odd to chastise a company for greed. If you think it is priced too high, then simply don't buy their product. If you do, then it seems to me that you think the price is fair, otherwise you wouldn't bother. Our ownership of gadgets, compelling as it is, is still purely voluntary.

7. KC5JIM

KC5JIM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that $500 would be the ideal range for this. Anymore than that and I would have to pass on it.

8. W7MAX

W7MAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like another "Get free publicity on QRZ". :(

9. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Wander what makes you say this? I posted the thread to inform others about a new radio because I like to read about these things, and I imagine other do too. I don't see the wrong in this...

10. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw this radio at the state hamfest in Lincoln, NE. Extremely nice audio. And the bandwidth sample rate is fairly large. It's capable of saving what it hears in an MP3 format, so it's like a a DVR for hf radio. If you want to listen to something, but you're not going to be around, you can start this thing, and it will not only record what you want to listen to. but it will also record what's going on for several KC's either side of your selection for later playback.

In the demonstration I listened to, they recorded the Nebraska Storm Net on 3.982, and set the bandwidth to record below that frequency. It recorded everything almost down to 3.900.

Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.