Callsign
ad: tentec
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can you identify this tower and antenna?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    BTW, I found an old Tri-Ex ad that shows that tower as model HZ-354.

Three sections, 54 feet overall, HZ series. If you go to towertalk@contesting.com and ask around you might find someone who has original drawings -- I don't.

WB2WIK/6
    Ahhhh cool. I sent a e-mail to whoever that link goes to. I have hered of tower talk but I don't know how it works.
    People were put on this earth to be Loved and Things were put on this earth to be Used. These days the World has it Back words.

Quote Originally Posted by N6DCN View Post
    Ahhhh cool. I sent a e-mail to whoever that link goes to. I have hered of tower talk but I don't know how it works.
    You have to "subscribe" to the Tower Talk reflector before it will let you post anything. The robot should have replied to you by now to ask you to "join," and once you do, you can just send e-mails to the reflector and they are distributed to all members, many of whom are quite knowledgeable about towers.

Ron,
    You received some good advise. It does look like an old Tristao. I knew Lou Tristao.

Do not sand the tower you will damage the galvanized plating. From the photos it looks as if some hardware/bolts are rusting. Replace them. Replace the cables. They are the only thing preventing the tower from falling. Consider replacing the winch, at times the gears become rusted or the brake does not work properly. Fulton made a 1500 lb (vertical lift unit only) (not horizontal) winch for Lou. Your take up reel appears to be a smaller diameter than is used now on towers. They went to larger diameter take up reel because it put less strain on the galvanized steel cable. A new Fulton winch will solve that problem also. My towers each use a Fulton model K1550 winch.

After that, if the motor is OK, then just use the tower.

The weight of the tower will usually determine what wind load rating it has. Look in some current tower catalogs for 54 ft crank up's, their weight and your wind load will be about the same. Follow their suggested foundation design detail. Your tower weight is figured without the motor assembly. You might take an educated guess at the weight or try two bathroom scales. My guess is about 400 to 600 lbs. (less motor assembly)

There is a fellow in Woodland hills that has a tower installation business. He has the cable plus crimper tool and can custom make them for you. He also may have a manual for that exact tower. Contact KJ6Y, Skip. He is listed on QRZ.

Terry
    Terry Graves, K7FE
    Chief Editor, QRZ.COM

"Some people call CW a MODE but in
    reality it is an autonomous LANGUAGE."

Quote Originally Posted by K7FE View Post
    Ron,
    You received some good advise. It does look like an old Tristao. I knew Lou Tristao.

Do not sand the tower you will damage the galvanized plating. From the photos it looks as if some hardware/bolts are rusting. Replace them. Replace the cables. They are the only thing preventing the tower from falling. Consider replacing the winch, at times the gears become rusted or the brake does not work properly. Fulton made a 1500 lb (vertical lift unit only) (not horizontal) winch for Lou. Your take up reel appears to be a smaller diameter than is used now on towers. They went to larger diameter take up reel because it put less strain on the galvanized steel cable. A new Fulton winch will solve that problem also. My towers each use a Fulton model K1550 winch.

After that, if the motor is OK, then just use the tower.

The weight of the tower will usually determine what wind load rating it has. Look in some current tower catalogs for 54 ft crank up's, their weight and your wind load will be about the same. Follow their suggested foundation design detail. Your tower weight is figured without the motor assembly. You might take an educated guess at the weight or try two bathroom scales. My guess is about 400 to 600 lbs. (less motor assembly)

There is a fellow in Woodland hills that has a tower installation business. He has the cable plus crimper tool and can custom make them for you. He also may have a manual for that exact tower. Contact KJ6Y, Skip. He is listed on QRZ.

Terry
    Thanks Terry,
    I did not sand the rust. Other than the bolts I'm not sure why it is their. I used CLR on a rag and the rust stains wiped right off like it was never their.I took the covers off both gear boxes today. The gears look brand spanking new. The ones on the spool assembly had no grease or oil almost spotless inside the case. The gears and grease in the motor assembly also look like new. That entire assembly seems flawless.
    I looked up the Fulton K1550 winch. I think I see what you are talking about. the drum that the cable goes around is 2.5" where mine is about 1".
    Alright Terry I will contact Skip. Thanks for your help and if you think of anything else let me know.

RON, N6DCN
    People were put on this earth to be Loved and Things were put on this earth to be Used. These days the World has it Back words.

Default Old Triex Or US tower and Hornet tribander

What throws me off on the tower are the channel stock corss-braces. I would suggest sending these photos to Carl Tasjian of Tasjian towers and he wil confirm if it is early TriEx. HyGain makes a 354HD model tower, but the fact that there are only two mounting bolt holes means it was possibly early engineering standards, so...

As for the beam, looks like a previously mentioned Hornet TB500 and looks to be 5 elements on 10 and 3 el on 15 & 20M. As for the price, that is waaay steep! That is practically the price for a NEW HD 55+ foot crank-up tower. I heard a motorized HyGain GD354 sell on the 40M swap for $1000 bux! Since the Hornet beam is from the 60s, that could make this system nearly 50 years old and realistically worth a 3rd of the saking price since it will need lots of attention before it is safe to put up. ALSO, Tashjian or US towers will send you a manual on a comparable tower made today for your permit process, I did it with a TriEx W51 and it went up w/out a hitch!

Below I siphened this info on the Hornet from another thread>>>

Hornet Antenna Products Co. of Duncan, OK came on the scene some time in the late 50's. The catalog I have shows a TB-3, TB-3A, TB-3B, TB-500 and a separate product brochure on the TB-1000 and the TB-1000-4. Looks like the TB-1000 came out in 1962 since I have an original letter from J. D. Guest, Owner of Hornet, to Stuart Meyer, then Vice President of Hammarlund, introducing the TB-1000 and 1000-4.

Good Luck and 73!

Russ - NK6R

Quote Originally Posted by NK6R View Post
    What throws me off on the tower are the channel stock corss-braces. I would suggest sending these photos to Carl Tasjian of Tasjian towers and he wil confirm if it is early TriEx. HyGain makes a 354HD model tower, but the fact that there are only two mounting bolt holes means it was possibly early engineering standards, so...

As for the beam, looks like a previously mentioned Hornet TB500 and looks to be 5 elements on 10 and 3 el on 15 & 20M. As for the price, that is waaay steep! That is practically the price for a NEW HD 55+ foot crank-up tower. I heard a motorized HyGain GD354 sell on the 40M swap for $1000 bux! Since the Hornet beam is from the 60s, that could make this system nearly 50 years old and realistically worth a 3rd of the saking price since it will need lots of attention before it is safe to put up. ALSO, Tashjian or US towers will send you a manual on a comparable tower made today for your permit process, I did it with a TriEx W51 and it went up w/out a hitch!

Below I siphened this info on the Hornet from another thread>>>

Hornet Antenna Products Co. of Duncan, OK came on the scene some time in the late 50's. The catalog I have shows a TB-3, TB-3A, TB-3B, TB-500 and a separate product brochure on the TB-1000 and the TB-1000-4. Looks like the TB-1000 came out in 1962 since I have an original letter from J. D. Guest, Owner of Hornet, to Stuart Meyer, then Vice President of Hammarlund, introducing the TB-1000 and 1000-4.

Good Luck and 73!

Russ - NK6R
    Thanks Russ. I did e mail Carl. He said he doesn't think it is Tri-ex. This whole thing has been frustrating. I will most likely put the antenna in the pile with some other old stuff

Thanks Russ. I did e mail Carl. He said he doesn't think it is Tri-ex. This whole thing has been frustrating. I will most likely put the antenna in the pile with some other old stuff
    It's "Karl," and he wasn't with Tri-Ex back when the HZ series was made.

I'd say it's either an HZ, or possibly its predecessor from Tristao, but I don't have the data sheets on those.

If it's Tristao, it would be from the 50s or 60s because after that he formed Tri-Ex (which stands for "Tristao Extendable") and then U.S. Tower, which of course is still around.

If Lou was still alive, he'd probably know the answer! Unfortunately he became an SK a few years back. Great engineer, really paved the way for most crank-up towers ever since.

My guess is that the triband beam is 3 el on 20 & 15M and 4 el on 10M. It may just need some cleaning and anti corrosion paste like Novalox. Use sand paper, not steel wool to clean the areas where the tubing telescopes into each other.

Terry
    Terry Graves, K7FE
    Chief Editor, QRZ.COM

"Some people call CW a MODE but in
    reality it is an autonomous LANGUAGE."

Quote Originally Posted by K7FE View Post
    My guess is that the triband beam is 3 el on 20 & 15M and 4 el on 10M. It may just need some cleaning and anti corrosion paste like Novalox. Use sand paper, not steel wool to clean the areas where the tubing telescopes into each other.

Terry
    Thanks Terry. It was originally put together with nolox or simlar product. I can tell right where it all goes and the club I got it from marked it well. I might just pass it on to a new ham somewhere to play with. Kinda pass it forward kinda thing.

73 Terry

Well Good news

TRISTAO CZ-454-FS

It looks like a TRISTAO CZ-454-FS. 17 5/8 at bottom and 12 3/8 at top.
    >> I
    >> had such a tower for many years. I don't believe anyone other than
    >> TRISTAO used the 1 inch channel for the cross members. Free standing
    >> 54
    >> foot with rating to support Tribasnder such as TH6 50 MPH wind.
    >>
    >> I have a 1967 catalog that has a one page copy of engineering drawing
    >> that you might get past a building dept, I did 30+ years ago.
    >>
    >> The one in the picture has the freestanding tiltup base. They made
    >> another with a lighterweight base that required a house bracket mount
    >> to
    >> be freestanding.
    >>
    >> Carefully check for busted welds or rust inside the legs before you put
    >> it up.
    >>
    >> Ken, K6TA

Thanks Terry. It was originally put together with nolox or simlar product. I can tell right where it all goes and the club I got it from marked it well. I might just pass it on to a new ham somewhere to play with. Kinda pass it forward kinda thing.

73 Terry

Well Good news

TRISTAO CZ-454-FS

It looks like a TRISTAO CZ-454-FS. 17 5/8 at bottom and 12 3/8 at top.
    >> I
    >> had such a tower for many years. I don't believe anyone other than
    >> TRISTAO used the 1 inch channel for the cross members. Free standing
    >> 54
    >> foot with rating to support Tribasnder such as TH6 50 MPH wind.
    >>
    >> I have a 1967 catalog that has a one page copy of engineering drawing
    >> that you might get past a building dept, I did 30+ years ago.
    >>
    >> The one in the picture has the freestanding tiltup base. They made
    >> another with a lighterweight base that required a house bracket mount
    >> to
    >> be freestanding.
    >>
    >> Carefully check for busted welds or rust inside the legs before you put
    >> it up.
    >>
    >> Ken, K6TA
    That actually is good news, if it's accurate! Great tower, although quite old. That was the predecessor to the Tri-Ex HZ-454, which is nearly identical.

Good luck with it! It appears to be in very good shape.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast