ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Using PSK31 on Icom 703+

Once again, I'm in need of an Elmer...

I'd like to try out PSK31 on my Icom 703+.
    I've downloaded DigiPan as well as Ham Radio Deluxe/Digital Master 780 to see which one I like best.

How do I connect my laptop without a COM port to my Icom 703+ for PSK?

There is so much information out there, most of it fairly confusing. There has to be a way for me to build a simple connection between my computer's sound card input and output and my 703. I'm just not seeing it...

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it very much!
    John

Very few (if any) computers, desktop or laptop, come with COM ports any more. I use a RigBlaster Plug & Play sound card interface (http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGblaster_P&P.htm) that has a USB connection. There are a lot of interfaces out there, but this is the only USB interface I have used.

If you just want to copy PSK31 (or any digital mode for that matter), all you need is an audio cable from the output of your radio to the line in or mic in on your laptop. But to transmit, you will need some sort of interface.
    de Scott NĜIU

What you need for rig control can be found at http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-CI-V-CAT-INTERFACE-CABLE-for-ICOM-CT-17-IC-706-NEW_W0QQitemZ120532262205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c10485d3d. That will get your rig communicating with HRD.

For audio interfacing to DM780 there are a lot of options, RigBlaster SignaLink USB, or just build your own.

The cheap and dirty solution is to use VOX to key the radio. However, if you do that, you're going to miss out on the better features of the HRD software which let you control the rig from the computer. You must be sure to disable all the other sounds on your computer - we don't want to hear Windows beeps and bloops on 14.070.

I too like the RigBlaster Plug n' Play for digital modes. There are two things I don't like, though. It has no provision for direct FSK keying a radio that's capable. And it uses the same serial port for rig control and CW keying. That doesn't work with something like HRD that wants to use both functions. But, otherwise, it works great with my IC-7000 and IC-746. There are many other interfaces out there with USB ports now.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Thanks for the link. I did a lot of research on the rigblasters and read some reviews. FWIW, I bought a Rigblaster Nomic USB. Looks like it will fit my needs very well. I'm more interested in running PSK with Digital Master 780 or some other program like digipan than controlling the radio from the computer. That might change in the future, who knows. I can always get that cable to control the rig later - I've got plenty of USB ports.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by KI4OWY; 03-08-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Ah, I went on and bought that cable for rig control as well. Why not, it is only a few bucks.

So I'm all set.

Thanks all.
    John