ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Installing Radios in a Chrysler town and country

I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country. I want to install a kenwood TMG 707a and a Alinco Dr235 t .
    I have a rigrunner power pole cables . The antennas are both mag mounts. I have external speakers for both. Where have you been able to snake the power cable through the firewall. My question is where to mount this stuff.
    I want to mount this equipment out of dog range. I have a crazy tri color tick hound who is like a bull in china shop.

I also have a T&C and it has more "radio room" than 90% of the vehicles on the road!

There's a huge space between the two front bucket seats, where the "storage bucket" (made of woven rope) is. That removes in two seconds if you wish, and there's enough room there for five radios. Under the dash there is also very ample room on both driver's and passenger's sides.

If you have rigs that have detachable front panels and can be remoted, there's tons of space behind the rear-rear seat and there's a 20A 12VDC outlet back there you can plug into.

The T&C has to be one of the easiest vehicles in the world for mobile installations. It also has an oversized battery and alternator.

I did not find any factory-installed "knock out" plugs in the firewall (although I admit I didn't look all that hard), so I drilled a hole up pretty high in the firewall on the driver's side to bring the DC power cable through (which in my case is #8-2 red&black automotive zip, very available and very inexpensive) and brought that to a distribution box I built, installed alongside the pull-out lower stowage compartment which is located below the stereo. The box brings in the #8-2 cable and distributes it to three Cinch Jones 2-pole 20A DC connectors type 2-AB. Of course, Anderson Power Poles might be an even better choice, I just didn't have them.

I installed a fuse block next to the battery (tons of room for this) for a 2-fuse holder and used two 20A 32VDC fuses in parallel on the block, so it should be good for about 40A. Whatever you do, always install a fuse block very close to the battery to protect not the rigs, but the wiring.

My entire installation took maybe 60 minutes, including finding the right place to drill a 1/2" hole for the 8-2 wire (which is centered in a rubber grommet in the firewall, to prevent shorts from abrasion).

The T&C is a wonderful vehicle for mobile ops. Tons of space, big battery, big alternator, and easy to work on. Mine now has 109K miles on it in five years and other than oil-brakes-tires-serpentine belt it has had zero problems and zero service. Excellent vehicle, I wish all American autos were this good.

Not sure if the T&C was available with a standard shift, but on the PT Cruisers with the automatic transmission, there is a block-off plate where the clutch cylinder would go.

On the wife's car, I took the plate out, drilled a hole large enough for a rubber cork, then drilled a hole in the cork large enough for the coax, cut a slit in the cork so I could put the coax in the hole without removing the connector, and used lacing cord to hold the cork closed so I could insert it in the plate.

Works great and provides a good seal.

I had some antenna brackets made for my Dodge Grand Caravan. They fit the door channel on each side of the rear lift gate. No visible holes and heavy stainless steel. They look beautiful. I've never used them.

Sold the Dodge, so maybe I'll get some pictures of these things and get them on the for sale section.