Callsign
ad: giga-rw
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: My Little Loaded Loop

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    16

    Default My Little Loaded Loop

    My Little Loaded Loop, say that three times fast.
    I'm now experimenting with a new design, a loop that is 95 feet long with a 3 ft coil (60 ft of wire wound around a 1.5 in tube). I've been experimenting on numerous bands and have some good reports, both local and out of state.
    Don't know the exact tune/cut, but with a tuner it is a good 1-to-1 from TX to tuner across 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10. And it almost comes down to a usable SWR on 160, but not safe enough. A picture of it is on my QZR page.
    73, Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3763 Lyle Avenue, North Pole, AK 99705
    Posts
    22,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KA6TRF View Post
    My Little Loaded Loop, say that three times fast.
    I'm now experimenting with a new design, a loop that is 95 feet long with a 3 ft coil (60 ft of wire wound around a 1.5 in tube). I've been experimenting on numerous bands and have some good reports, both local and out of state.
    Don't know the exact tune/cut, but with a tuner it is a good 1-to-1 from TX to tuner across 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10. And it almost comes down to a usable SWR on 160, but not safe enough. A picture of it is on my QZR page.
    73, Mike
    LLL

    You'll get a lot higher Q if your loading coil is fatter and shorter...but otherwise, good show!



    Eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    St.Thomas
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KA6TRF View Post
    My Little Loaded Loop, say that three times fast.
    I'm now experimenting with a new design, a loop that is 95 feet long with a 3 ft coil (60 ft of wire wound around a 1.5 in tube). I've been experimenting on numerous bands and have some good reports, both local and out of state.
    Don't know the exact tune/cut, but with a tuner it is a good 1-to-1 from TX to tuner across 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10. And it almost comes down to a usable SWR on 160, but not safe enough. A picture of it is on my QZR page.
    73, Mike
    Hi Mike

    Where are you feeding the loop? Interesting concept. I know a guy who wound wire on PCV pipe for a 160 dipole on his city lot and it said it worked ok. Not a DX buster by any means but he did make contacts on 160 CW.

    By the way, nice T Shirt you have on in that QRZ photo Is that a leftover from your Hippie Days?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VE3FMC View Post
    Hi Mike

    Where are you feeding the loop? Interesting concept. I know a guy who wound wire on PCV pipe for a 160 dipole on his city lot and it said it worked ok. Not a DX buster by any means but he did make contacts on 160 CW.

    By the way, nice T Shirt you have on in that QRZ photo Is that a leftover from your Hippie Days?
    Hi,

    Feeding it between both 25 foot legs, with coil and 45 foot between that. (Center conductor - 25 ft - coil - 45 ft - 25 ft - braid) or (Center conductor - 25 ft - coil - 70 ft).

    Hippie days?... I always dress this way..
    73, Mike

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Contacts made so far on my Little Loaded Loop in the past 2 days with 75 watts:
    15M - Japan
    20M - Texas, Chicago IL, So California, Virginia, Washington, Nevada, Alabama
    40M - Mayport Florida

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louisiana Gulf Coast
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    VERY Cool!!!

    No balun, just direct connection to the loop? How long is the pvc coil, the 60 turns?

    73
    Paul
    AE5JU

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AE5JU View Post
    VERY Cool!!!

    No balun, just direct connection to the loop? How long is the pvc coil, the 60 turns?

    73
    Paul
    AE5JU
    No balun, I just connected the loop to the 50 ohm RG-58, with a 4 turn coil of coax about 20 feet from the end for RF into shack prevention help. The coil is 60 feet of 24 gauge wound around the 1.5 inch dia x 3 foot long tube form.

    Today I added two Belgium contacts and one from Italy via the Little Loaded Loop and 75 watts.
    I'm really surprised how the LLL is working.... and grateful!

    Added:
    Seven countries using the Little Loaded Loop and 75 watts this weekend.
    Japan, Belgium, Italy, Denmark, Switzerland, France, England

    73
    Mike
    Last edited by KA6TRF; 02-21-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Adding contact info

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pueblo County, CO
    Posts
    222

    Default

    I've added another 3 foot coil to My Little Loaded Loop, now making it a two coil loop.
    73,
    Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •