ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Contribute
to QRZ

1. Default Yaesu FT-101E Problem

I have aquired an old FT-101E. I basically know the history of the radio for about 20 years. 10 years ago it was working fine and wrapped in plastic and put away. The last several days I have got it going. Letting it run and oiling the fan and so forth.

Last night I tried getting on the air with it. I have an old Kenwood TS-530s that I use daily so I am no stranger to tuning a rig.

I tuned the 101 last night per instructions in the manual. I have 60bias at idle. Everything seems to tune just fine. The PO meter on the rig does peg all the way but the watt meter on my tuner shows at the end of tuning the rig is putting out 120watts on 80meters. The final instruction is to return the CARRIER fully counter clockwise. The power on my meter goes to zero which I assume is normal. Then it says to select mode which I went to LSB and adjust my ALC with the mic gain. At this time the ALC pegs all the way to the right and I can not get the meter to move. This is with mic gain fully counterclock wise. I have tried various mic gain settings and can hear the relay when I key up to talk. They meter on the tuner dances some and it looks like I am transmitting but no one is hearing me. The rig hears stations very well.

One thought I had thought was maybe I am transmitting off freq a tad and thats why the bunch couldnt hear me last night. Or perhaps I have something wrong in the ALC department.

I am new to the radio and was hoping someone here may be able to throw out some ideas. Thanks!

Todd - N0UNI

Thumbs up Fox Tango 101

Quote Originally Posted by N0UNI View Post
    I have aquired an old FT-101E. I basically know the history of the radio for about 20 years. 10 years ago it was working fine and wrapped in plastic and put away. The last several days I have got it going. Letting it run and oiling the fan and so forth.

Last night I tried getting on the air with it. I have an old Kenwood TS-530s that I use daily so I am no stranger to tuning a rig.

I tuned the 101 last night per instructions in the manual. I have 60bias at idle. Everything seems to tune just fine. The PO meter on the rig does peg all the way but the watt meter on my tuner shows at the end of tuning the rig is putting out 120watts on 80meters. The final instruction is to return the CARRIER fully counter clockwise. The power on my meter goes to zero which I assume is normal. Then it says to select mode which I went to LSB and adjust my ALC with the mic gain. At this time the ALC pegs all the way to the right and I can not get the meter to move. This is with mic gain fully counterclock wise. I have tried various mic gain settings and can hear the relay when I key up to talk. They meter on the tuner dances some and it looks like I am transmitting but no one is hearing me. The rig hears stations very well.

One thought I had thought was maybe I am transmitting off freq a tad and thats why the bunch couldnt hear me last night. Or perhaps I have something wrong in the ALC department.

I am new to the radio and was hoping someone here may be able to throw out some ideas. Thanks!

Todd - N0UNI
    Hmmm possibly a dirty mic gain pot?

You might chack at http://foxtango.org/foxtango001.htm for information, and at their message forum.
    73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim

Radio's that sit around unused for such amount of time will sometimes develop issues.

For example, while the relay might engage as you mentioned, that is not necessarily an indicator the reed contacts are functioning properly.

Also you might remove the plug in module boards and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Similarly, pull the tubes and reseat them back into the sockets. Spray the pots and lube the bearings on the VFO etc.

I am sure the rig is fine, it probably needs a little reconditioning before using it for regular service.
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

First, try different settings of the mic gain control while watching the ALC meter.

Second, while watching the plate current meter (ip) try different settings of the mic gain control

Third, while watching the ALC meter, switch the Mode switch to AM or CW. This will give a clue. Of course if you choose CW you have to have a closed key plugged into the key jack in back. If you are in the AM position, which is most likely, again note the ALC readings as you vary the mic gain control

Fourth, while watching the ip meter, switch to AM mode. You should see plate current, no more than about 100 ma.

If the mic gain control is fully counter clockwise, it is normal for the ALC meter to 'peg' to the right, or nearly peg. By the way, turn off any compression for all these readings.

One possibility is that you have a bad microphone cable, of course.

The PO meter should NOT peg when you have tuned the rig up. It should read about 3/4 scale for 100 watts output. I would not push the radio to 120 watts output, but into a dummy load that will not likely harm it. As I recall, the plate current should read about 150 ma.

However when you are speaking into the microphone, during normal operation, you should see around 80 ma on voice peaks. The RF PO meter should show about 1/3 scale on voice peaks. You should see a similar reading on any external power meter you may have, indicating about 25-30 watts output. That is normal, and is full power.

The question would be, how does it work on CW? You can plug in a key plug and short it, and switch to CW and see what kind of power out you are getting. The ALC meter may be pegged during CW operation, and that is normal! But don't stay in key down CW more than about five seconds at a time. Then let up and give the tubes a chance to cool, perhaps half a minute at least.

Good luck. The FT101E and EE radios were very good, quite reliable, but you do have to be very careful with the finals! They can go out in seconds of misuse.

Ed
    Ed, CHOP, W5HTW - Novice 1956, General, 1957, Advanced, 1968, Extra, 1969. Keep the [B][U]amateur[/U][/B] in amateur radio, keep the pros, and Part 90, out of it.

5. Default

Thanks for the advice. I will dig into things more tonight. I was wondering if maybe things are jus dirty and need cleaning and reseating. We'll check the microphone as well.

Todd