ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Default DM780 Waterfall display

I bought a new PC for the shack which is fast and runs HRD+DM780 V.5 quite well...I am moving from years of using MixWin to DM780 and have 2 questions for you experts:

1. Waterfall resolution
    I am so used to the MixWin waterfall which appears to have, for lack of a better phrase, clearer "resolution". Below are 2 quick digi photo's I hope shows what I mean.

Any tips for adjusting the waterfall display to get a cleaner resolution of signals?

2. Mouse Tuning
    Mostly for rtty operation, Mixwin has nice mouse wheel tuning..I dont think DM780 has this, does it?

Thanks in advance for any advise and 73!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by N2LK View Post
    I bought a new PC for the shack which is fast and runs HRD+DM780 V.5 quite well...I am moving from years of using MixWin to DM780 and have 2 questions for you experts:

1. Waterfall resolution
    I am so used to the MixWin waterfall which appears to have, for lack of a better phrase, clearer "resolution". Below are 2 quick digi photo's I hope shows what I mean.

Any tips for adjusting the waterfall display to get a cleaner resolution of signals?

2. Mouse Tuning
    Mostly for rtty operation, Mixwin has nice mouse wheel tuning..I dont think DM780 has this, does it?

Thanks in advance for any advise and 73!
    Your waterfall looks about right for DM780. To be honest I did not notice a lot of difference as far as the brilliance and clarity between it an your other software's waterfall in the pictures you posted.

I use a different color on my DM780 waterfall as I find that blue color brutal!

Go to Program Options in DM780.

Scroll down the options list on the left side of the box.

Go to Waterfall and click on it.

Then click on color.

Check off Select From List

Then put your mouse on the colors listed and start scrolling down until you find a color you like.

I use Scope 1. I find it the best color for me.

As for your mouse and tuning. I can you my mouse to move around the waterfall if that is what you want to do. Just put your mouse on the waterfall and move it around to the signal you want to copy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by VE3FMC; 02-11-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks for the advise.

On the mouse wheel tuning, what I like with MixW is that you put the curser on the waterfall and with the mouse wheel, you can tune your radio up and down the band, not just move around in the waterfall display..

Be nice to see if DM780 could do that...
    Thanks again...

Default different approach

DM780 can tune the radio, but it is in 500 cycle increments. In the attachment look above the 14 in the upper left corner. The two double chevrons change the frequency up or down by 500.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    73, Mike
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Adjust your RF Gain down some...

I could see that your audio percentage near the bottom of your DM780 shot was 1%. That is really really low. I tested it on mine and get very little printing at that level.

Some of the settings I use are as follows:

Go to Options--->Waterfall--->Colour--->

Adjust the colour to Scope 1. I think this is the default.

Go to Options--->Waterfall--->Frequency, Mode, Speed--->

Under Mode, I have that set to Waterfall

Waterfall Display Mode is set to "Log 10-90%"

Smoothing with the slider in the middle. Play with that setting also.

And one of the more important is the "Clipping". Try playing with this one. I run mine on about 50-60%. As a note, I run the audio percentage at the bottom of the DM780 screen at about 30-40%. It will print at a lot less percentage, but I think 1% is still too low.

As you raise the clipping level, you'll see less noise and just the signal traces on a black background.

WD0MYM
    Jon