Went to Harbor Freight, bought a pack of super magnets and a package of suber glue, each cost a dollar.
I then took the spring out of the key and forced a nut onto the spring adjusting screw, grinding away any protruding tip. Then one of the magnets was glued to the nut and one to the base plate cavity where the spring used to be. I then added three more magnets to the base, not glueing these, just letting them snap into place.
The reason for not glueing the last three magnets is that they can be removed one at a time to give a different adjusting range. You must make sure that the magnet on the key adjusting screw and the base repel each other.
After adjusting all settings the key works very well and the hard required down pressure of the spring is gone.