Callsign
ad: HamShirt-1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Current Use for a Heathkit HW-18 Transceiver?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

Default Any Current Use for a Heathkit HW-18 Transceiver?

Can anyone tell me if Heathkit HW-18 SSB transceivers can be modified for use in the Amateur Radio Service? As near as I can determine, the HW-18 is a SSB transceiver crystal controlled in the range 4450-4650 KHz, with a power output of 200 watts (PEP). Heathkit marketed this model for use by Civil Air Patrol (CAP) members. One of the transceivers is pictured here.

A larger image can be seen here.
    There are a number of these transceivers stored with other equipment from the estate of Ray Lake, K6KNB (SK), who was a very active, long-time member of the CAP. Each of the transceivers was apparently modified to meet CAP needs. The original channel selector (a 2-position slide switch) has been replaced by a phone jack, and the the original Clarifier control has been replaced by a rotary channel switch.

A friend of Ray's is disposing of all the equipment on behalf of Ray's daughter, who lives in another state. I'm just trying to help him determine if the items have any value; he plans to dispose of worthless items as e-waste. Honest assessment solicited; you won't hurt anyone's feelings.

Gary, K9ZMD/6
    Last edited by K9ZMD; 01-26-2010 at 11:39 PM.

If they run USB and still work, maybe they can be re-crystalled for the 60m amateur band-? Not much difference in frequency...

I really have no idea!

I never even thought of that, Steve. Thanks. I'll have to dig a little to find out if they were designed for USB. I sure don't see any USB/LSB switch on the front.

One could kludge some kind of VFO for it for 75m, and, probably you could get it on LSB with a different crystal, and maybe modify the tuned circuits slightly.

But, except for the 60m possibility -- great idea -- it's hard to see much ham value except for experimentation or maybe parts. Or maybe Heathkit collectors trying to complete their collection?

I bet Glen or Pat would know.
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be. :D

There were actually 3 different versions of the HW-18.

The HW-18-1 was made for CAP operation and covered 4450 kHz to 4650 kHz.

The HW-18-2 was made for MARS operation and covered 4450 kHz to 4650 kHz.

The HW-18-3 was made for 160 meter operation and covered 1800 kHz to 2000 kHz.

Both the HW-18-1 and HW-18-2 were for USB and the HW-18-3 was for LSB.

The CAP and MARS units use crystal frequencies between 7800 kHz and 8000 kHz while the 160 meter version used crystal frequencies between between approximately 5200 kHz and 5400 kHz. The actual formula for USB operation (CAP and MARS) is the operating frequency + 3396.5 = crystal frequency. The formula for LSB (160 meter) is the operating frequency + 3393.5 = crystal frequency.

It would be very easy to adapt a Heath LMO from one of the SB-Line units which covers 5000 kHz to 5500 kHz as a VFO for the HW-18-3.

The CAP and MARS units can be modified for 75 meter operation but you have to change the BFO crystal from the existing 3396.5 kHz to 3393.5 kHz (to change to LSB) and then use a 40 meter VFO that operates between just under 7000 kHz to just under 7400 kHz.

Those units are fairly scarce and the 160 meter version is the rarest of the lot.

Glen, K9STH

Default Maybe Not Quite Ready Yet For the E-Waste Pile

Glen, thanks for those details. Seems like some good potential there for the technically adept. Collector value? I suspect that scarcity may be because there wasn't a heckuva big market for them in the first place.

Whether or not experimenters or collectors might actually be interested remains to be seen. I'll tell the SK's friend that he shouldn't put them on the discard pile until he runs an ad in various places. I guess I'll help him with that, too.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions. 73

Gary, K9ZMD/6

The difference in value between a 30 year-old used/untested rig and the same rig "just bench tested and everything works fine" is enormous -- at least as far as I'm concerned.

For a rig like that sight unseen (untested, condition really unknown) I doubt I'd pay $20.

For the same rig "tested and works perfectly" from someone I could trust to actually do that, more like $200 -- maybe more.

If they were mine, I'd thoroughly test each one and see if any are "perfect," then put those up for sale; if some are somewhat functional but have problems, I'd try to fix them first before selling them. If any are destroyed beyond all hope, I'd scrap them.

With a scarce rig I wouldn't "scrap it" even if it doesn't work. There is always someone looking for a "parts rig" or for one to repair.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    With a scarce rig I wouldn't "scrap it" even if it doesn't work. There is always someone looking for a "parts rig" or for one to repair.

Glen, K9STH
    You're right! I might scrap it if it were mine and a dud, because I already have a ton of parts...but for those who don't, parting a rig out is always better than adding to landfills!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast