ad: UR5CDX-1

EasyPal Alert

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2JUV, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W2JUV

W2JUV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This digital SSTV software can be downloaded from the KC1CS website, but
    beware, a Trojan Downloader comes with it. I have advised KC1CS by email of the problem. Hope it gets fixed.

Al W2JUV

2. KN4SA

KN4SA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

none found

Hello OM. Are you sure you found a valid trojan on this ham's site? I downloaded, scanned and installed and scanned all installation files after installation. No virus, trojan or malware was found. Two days ago there was a problem with Google Adsense that was throwing false positives in many viruscan programs. This has now been fixed. Is this possibly what happened to you at his site. Perhaps there truly was a trojan and it has now been cleaned? I don't know, but at this time, my scanning programs show nothing.

Thanks es 73,

Loy

3. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just scanned mine, no problems found...

Scan "Shell extension scan" was finished.
    No infection was found during this scan
    Folders selected for scanning:;"C:\Program Files\EasyPal;"
    Scan started:;"Wednesday 01/27/10 2010 9:38:38 AM"
    Scan finished:;"Wednesday 01/27/10 2010 9:39:59 AM (1 minute(s) 21 second(s))"
    Total object scanned:;"1188"

de NA4IT

4. NJ3H

NJ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

Running Malware Bytes a couple of days ago, I also received a trojan message with the exe file. There just must be something the virus detectors are seeing and not liking. My 2ยข worth.

Regards,
    George

5. W2JUV

W2JUV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

update....

I confirm the posting from George NJ3H, the Trojan only shows up when I scan with MalwareBytes. Could be a quirk within MalwareBytes, who knows.

6. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had EasyPal on this computer for about 6 months. Last week Avast found a Trojan in the EasyPal software and locked it in its chest. I deleted EasyPal and ran another scan and found nothing. I will be watching this thread because I would like to have EasyPal back.

Sean

7. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also found the trojan in EasyPAL over a year ago. Malware bytes said it was some type of on-line-banking password stealing program. I deleted EasyPAL after that and tried downloading the latest release at that time, with the same results. I haven't used EasyPAL since. I posted something about it on either this or the other well-known ham forum, but got no additional information.

It could be just a fluke with Malwarebytes, but in the past Malwarebytes has found spyware that other programs missed. Don't forget- many anti-virus programs do not check for malware or root kits- only viruses. I wonder if the author of EasyPAL may have reused a piece of existing code to save time, and that's where the malware got in..

Also very curious here to find out what the final verdict is. At this point, I prefer to err on the safe side and believe Malwarebytes.

Tom, KA1MDA
    www.ka1mda.org

8. K3LUE

K3LUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Malware programs often report exe files as a trojan. It's in the software that generates the report and it always sees an executable as a possible trojan.
    Ron

9. K3KO

K3KO Guest

K3LUE

So one should ignore it if a Malware program detects a virus in a .EXE file?
    Hardly makes sense. Why run the Malware program if you don't want to know?

de K3ko

10. NF9L

NF9L Ham Member QRZ Page

False Positive . . .

I use this software everyday and no problems ever found . . .

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The way maleware works is it "redirects" your computer to download from another site but yet it gives you the impression and has the "apperance" the file is actually coming from the intended download site.

You can check your PC using this freeware:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Keep in mind most "virus scanners" will not detect maleware on your PC until the maleware attempts to install a virus on the PC.

12. K3YBN

K3YBN Ham Member QRZ Page

TROJAN ...NOT!

I have used this software since it was introduced and it has frequencly had a problem with being identified as having a TROJAN by various virus scanners. I might add I have dissassembled this program and have found NO I repeat NO Trojan.

Jim

13. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

What version are you using? If it is not the latest, which is Jan 2010 at the time of this post, try Dave's site and get the latest.

I was having a "spyware" problem every time I prepared a pix file for transmission. The new version dos NOT do that !

14. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

This is called a 'false positive'. The way these programs work is they look for a 'digital fingerprint' in the EXE files. If something in the code matches the digital fingerprint, then it's reported as infected, even when it's not.

If it's reported to the antivirus manufacture, they will add it to an omit list inside the scanning program.

15. K5MOZ

K5MOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What was found was a virus that attatches itself to one of the last used .exe files.
    This Virus variant has been running wild since the first of the year.
    If you get it your machine is at fault.
    Just redownload and all should be fine if you have your machine scanned properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.