Callsign
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to fix computer power supply RFI?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Cheapest way to fix computer power supply RFI?

I have an old Celeron computer (2003 vintage) that I use for home automation. It is putting quite a bit of RFI on the power lines. I know the interference is coming through the power lines, because when I temporarily ran it off of a power inverter and 12V battery there was a substantial (20dB) drop in background noise in my SW receiver on the 80m band. I suspect the power supply in this computer has no RFI filtering.

What is the cheapest and/or easiest way to solve this? I could buy an new PC power supply, but how would I know if the new power supply I bought would be any better? I did actually try a different power supply a friend had and it was almost identical as far as amount of noise. Is there some kind of filter I can plug the PC into that would be effective? Would a cheap UPS effectively isolate the computer from the line? Would wrapping the power cord around some type of ferrite core help, and if so where could I get such a core?

Thanks,
    Frank Kienast KG9NZ

You could try buying a modern PSU for it, I dare say the PSU you borrowed from your friend was probably the same vintage, so it wasn't up to today's standards on EMC compliance. You could use a UPS but they would probably cost more than the computer PSU that would comply.

Spend some money on a good psu from a maker like OCZ, Sparkle, Enermax, or similar. And some ac power strips offer ac filtering. Also, I find it odd that the ups made for quieter rx, most ups are gigantic rfi generators.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually used an automobile inverter connected to a large 12 volt gel cell battery, not a UPS, for my tests. That was significantly quieter than plugging the computer into the wall.

The two power supplies that have high RFI:
    Original with PC: Codegen switching power supply, model 200XA1, 350W
    Borrowed: Blue Star Gold Mirror Edition 650W SATA fan ATX Power Supply

Interference is approximately every 62kHz, but is so broad that is is practically continuous at HF.

Anyone have any experience with either of the following two power supplies which I can get fairly inexpensively locally:
    Dynex 400W ATX Power Supply (DS400-WPS)
    BFG 450W ATX Power Supply(BFGR450WGSPSU)

Thanks,
    Frank KG9NZ

I could buy an new PC power supply, but how would I know if the new power supply I bought would be any better? I did actually try a different power supply a friend had and it was almost identical as far as amount of noise. Is there some kind of filter I can plug the PC into that would be effective?
    Your local computer dealer can help here. Most of the local ones know JUNK from QUALITY -- However there are fraudulent companies slapping product stickers quality names on the same old junk that the Island of Taiwan continues to produce -- and local computer dealers who are clueless to RFI issues!!

MY RECOMMENDATION? Use PC Power and Cooling (California) units --
    PRICES are the SAME as the Far East junk you are buying -- AND give you a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY !!
    Call them Monday, you will have a nice unit shipped to your door by end of the week - power supply RFI problem solved .
    Fry's Electronics was carrying this brand for awhile.
    http://www.pcpower.com/index.html

I have purchased from this fine company when the IBM PC was NEW (circa 1982) and they produced some of the first larger wattage after-market power supplies.
    What other company would honor a long-expired warranty (1980s) for a model (AT power supply) that they now only build for custom orders?
    They did in 2002, and I only had to ship the unit back to them for rebuild and pick up the shipping charges/postage.

I especially like their Silencer Series which reduces reduces audible noise by up to 90% (10 db)
    I have one in a larger desktop computer --- I can not hear the power supply (audible) --
    but I do hear the fans on the CPU and computer case!!
    http://www.pcpower.com/products/powe...s/ultra-quiet/

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 01-12-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Adding ferrite Rings, to the 115v Ac mains cable and adding smalled ferrite rings to all other wires that lead from the PSU to the main board and drives, also plug the pc in to another out let (other that the one your PSU is plugged in for the radios) will help

of couse, if you like you can take the PC supply apart and locate the missing components

coils L1, L2 and missing filter caps ceramic (0.03pf to 500pf @ 500v) also need to install chokes to the psu board the bigger the windings on the chokes the better filter you will make for stopping RFI

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old Because We Stop Playing.
    Never Be The First To Get Old

Any System Is Only As Good As Its Weakest Component.
    Web Link:
    [URL]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K4EEZ/[/URL]

Adding ferrite Rings, to the 115v Ac mains cable and adding smalled ferrite rings to all other wires that lead from the PSU to the main board and drives, also plug the pc in to another out let (other that the one your PSU is plugged in for the radios) will help

of couse, if you like you can take the PC supply apart and locate the missing components

coils L1, L2 and missing filter caps ceramic (0.03pf to 500pf @ 500v) also need to install chokes to the psu board the bigger the windings on the chokes the better filter you will make for stopping RFI

http://etutorials.org/shared/images/.../fig128_01.jpg

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old Because We Stop Playing.
    Never Be The First To Get Old

Any System Is Only As Good As Its Weakest Component.
    Web Link:
    [URL]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K4EEZ/[/URL]

Thanks for all the replies. I found a review for the Dynex DS400-WPS, and while they were not great, they did indicate that the supply had full RFI filtering components. I was able to get this power supply locally at a fairly cheap price. Installing it completely eliminated my RFI problem.

Frank KG9NZ

Glad you fixed your problem. But I would like to add that there are several filtered sockets that will fit in the same place as the original unfiltered one, that will drop the buzz coming from inside the power supply down to almost insignificant levels. They incorporate coils and capacitors in a Pi filter arrangement, and are only a few inches long, while dropping into the same hole provided on the case for the original socket. You may have to move some components around on the circuit board to allow for some additional depth, but that will usually not be that much of a problem.

Look at Mouser, or some other component catalogs and you should be able to find them.

Again, this will not help in your case, but others might be able to benefit in the future!

73, Jim

Default Supply RFI

W9GB is correct. There are many JUNK builders of PSU's out there.
    A site I found a few years ago, badcaps.com is almost as good as this one as far as the technical expertise is concerned. They taught me a lot about caps. The site is mostly for motherboard repair but they discuss almost anything espically about bad caps, what manufs. make good ones and what to do about fixing audio,computer,video equipment that has failed. Good troubleshooting site also. So what does this have to do with RFI. Those who go to the site have vast experience in, among other things, PSU's. Just go there and ask or read their forum section on PSU's.
    BTW, if you whant to experiment then the previous post covered all the bases that I could think of. A Corcom line filter and some ferrite material might just do the job. But, after all that's said and done do you want to fix a supply with bad design and parts?
    KB3TKW

Quote Originally Posted by W9GB View Post
    Your local computer dealer can help here. Most of the local ones know JUNK from QUALITY -- However there are fraudulent companies slapping product stickers quality names on the same old junk that the Island of Taiwan continues to produce -- and local computer dealers who are clueless to RFI issues!!

MY RECOMMENDATION? Use PC Power and Cooling (California) units --
    PRICES are the SAME as the Far East junk you are buying -- AND give you a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY !!
    w9gb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast