Callsign
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is the " Correct " phonetic alphabet??

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Default What exactly is the " Correct " phonetic alphabet??

I haven't been in ham radio all that many years but i would like to know if there has been a " NEW " phonetic alphabet introduced / legislated to ham radio.

When i passed my exams i know what i was tested on, K = Kilo but i keep hearing KILLOWAT , A= Alpha not AMERICA & R = Romeo not RADIO and the thing i find the most amazing because i use, what i consider the correct terms, there are alot of op's out there that cannot understand my callsign unless it is in " Newspeak ".

George Orwell would be pleased that 1984 actually happened, even if it was a few years later than anticipated!

Regards Ric.

There is only one correct international alphabet and that is the ICAO one. That is the one used by world wide aviation, and in that context, it is understood everywhere.

But it depends. There is a 'correct' alphabet for police work and that is the "Adam, Boy, Charles, David...." one. They mostly do not like the ICAO version.

MARS uses the standard ICAO and nothing but, I believe. They used to.

I know a lot of people will use, for example, "Germany" for "G." But "Germany" is an English word, not the French one, or the German one, or the Japanese one or the Mexican one, for that European nation.

In amateur radio, we are not so strict as the airlines, military, and others stuck with the ICAO alphabet. We have a lot more flexibility. At one time, probably 95 percent of the hams on the air used the standard military phonetics.

But ham radio has changed. If "Kilo" makes "K" clear, good. If "Kansas" does, that's fine, too. I am no longer a stickler for 'correct' phonetics.

However, I do hate the 'cute' ones. Like for my call, Whazup Five Hardly Talking Wildly. Off the air, I have had many 'cutesy' phonetics for call signs I have held over the years, but I refused to use them on the air, even if they were not R-rated! Still, there is nothing illegal about them. If that's your thing, and if people understand you, then I guess it's OK. But I won't use them on your call!

We are NOT professionals. So we don't have to do it the professional way, and I'm glad. At one time, most hams in the USA were ex-military, so they used what they knew. Ham learning publications also taught (and still do) the 'standard' international phonetics. Because back then we were considered that 'pool of radio operators and technicians' who could be drafted into the military, given a radio and a rifle and plopped into the field with minimal, we were encouraged to follow mostly military procedures, even in our hobby. Those days are long gone.

It has indeed become common to use "kilowatt" (which is one word) for "K." I don't think it is confusing at all, as I think almost any amateur you said it to would know you did not mean Kilo Watt was the suffix. If so, heck, explain it.

Have fun. Use what works, but be sure it works.

Ed
    Last edited by W5HTW; 12-31-2009 at 01:57 AM.
    Ed, CHOP, W5HTW - Novice 1956, General, 1957, Advanced, 1968, Extra, 1969. Keep the [B][U]amateur[/U][/B] in amateur radio, keep the pros, and Part 90, out of it.

Kilowatt is one word starting with "K" and gets through better because there are more bits of information exchanged. That's why people use it, especially hams who are used to hearing the word "kilowatt" anyway.

I find the ICAO phonetic alphabet positively sucks for international DX work, and I've tried everything.

"Golf" never gets through. Neither does "Hotel," but Honolulu does. "Juliet" is only recognized by 30% of the world, but "Japan" is recognized by 90%. "Oscar" is hardly ever understood, but "Ocean" is. "Papa" is not well understood (too short, and again an English word) but "Panama" gets right through. Etc.

Aviators are dealing with strong signals. Hams are dealing with weak signals and a lot of QRM. You use what works.

WB2WIK/6

The proper (ICAO) phonetics for my call sign are: Kilo Alpha Four Delta Papa Oscar but my cutsie one is: Keep All Four Doors Propped Open.

I find I work a lot more of that there skip with my cutsie one..
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

Ric,you'll find that a lot of people who advocate the "Official" phonetics

learnt how to use them in the Military,or similar,where the training also

includes standard pronunciation .

Tips on pronunciation are rarely included in lists of "correct" phonetics printed

in Amateur radio publications.

If an Australian pronounces the phonetic words as they would in normal

conversation,for instance; "alpha" (alfuhh),& "oscar" (osscuh),the other

station may confuse the two,due to the the 'uhh" sound at the end.

Amateurs in other countries have similar problems,so from time to time may

substitute alternative phonetics which appear to work better in difficult

circumstances.

This has been chewed over many a time on QRZ.com,without anyone

convincing anyone else!

73 VK6ZGO

Phonetics? On CW we don't need no stinkin' phonetics!
    Nate, Bremen, KS
    "Amateur radio--a real time social network using radio waves"

This topic comes up here on QRZ.com on a very regular basis. There are those who INSIST that the ICAO phonetics MUST be used even though most of those persons don't work much DX or contests.

For many years the ICAO phonetics were different from those used by the United States military and those were different from those used by police departments in the United States. Then, the ARRL even had their own set of phonetics which they "pushed" for decades but virtually no one ever used those phonetics.

Using ICAO phonetics my call is Kilo Nine Sierra Tango Hotel and when working stateside (non contest) and on VHF/UHF I do use those phonetics. However, when working DX and when working contests I can assure you that those particular phonetics will not make the grade at least 99 times out of 100. Under those circumstances I generally use Kilowatt Nine Spain Texas Honolulu and 99.9 percent of the time I do not have to repeat my call. But, if I use ICAO phonetics I often have to repeat my call several times and then the DX station often doesn't get it correct until I resort to geographical names.

There are those who "point out" that Germany is called Deutschland in Germany and Spain is called Hispania, and so forth. However, I have yet to run into someone from Germany who did not recognize "Germany" for the letter "G", someone from Spain who did not recognize "Spain" for the letter "S", and so forth.

I have been licensed for over 50 years and using geographical names has worked for the entire time.

Glen, K9STH

the beautiful tree lined banks of the ruisseau de merde

i use kilo charlie zero november bravo whiskey for calling and either "never been wrong", or "no brain waves" for humor and to get my call to register in their memory!
    ALBA GU BRA

SAMUEL FINLEY BREESE MORSE
    BORN APRIL 27, 1791,DIED APRIL 2, 1872
    INVENTOR OF THE ''MORSE''CODE, THE WORLD'S FIRST TRULY LONG RANGE COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM

eat more moose. 10,000 wolves can't be wrong !

THE SECOND AMENDMENT OF THE U.S CONSTITUTION
    IS AMERICAS ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY SYSTEM !

the beautiful tree lined banks of the ruisseau de merde

Default phonetics

alpha
    bravo
    charlie
    delta
    echo
    foxtrot
    golf
    hotel
    india
    juliet
    kilo
    lima
    mike
    november
    oscar
    papa
    quebec
    romeo
    sierra
    tango
    uniform
    victor
    whiskey
    xray
    zulu

to put them down in order like this, i have to think about them.

give me a name or such and i can rattle them off without thinking .
    ALBA GU BRA

SAMUEL FINLEY BREESE MORSE
    BORN APRIL 27, 1791,DIED APRIL 2, 1872
    INVENTOR OF THE ''MORSE''CODE, THE WORLD'S FIRST TRULY LONG RANGE COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM

eat more moose. 10,000 wolves can't be wrong !

THE SECOND AMENDMENT OF THE U.S CONSTITUTION
    IS AMERICAS ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY SYSTEM !

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast