ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
    W0BKR Guest

Thumbs up Small Lot 160 Meter Rcving Antenna

Like many, I suffer from not having an estate and unlimited funds to erect 4 towers, string wires everywhere and run beverages in every direction (hi).

So, I basically have a very modest station with your generic tower and tri bander atop.

I always wanted to play on 160 meters and have done so off and on for years but with limited success in working any real "DX" (i.e. Europe, etc). I run a wire sloper off the tower and barefoot, gets me into EU and other areas usually on a consistent basis.

Hearing the DX is another thing.

If you remember, a vertically polarized antenna (i.e. shunt fed towers, slopers, verticals, etc.) pick up a lot of noise and the problem is being able to hear the station(s) within the noise. Most signals (from this geographical area) are not that strong. We don't have the advantage of easy copy from the Upper Midwest (i.e. Ohio, Minn, etc.) or the E. Coast. From those areas, it is a much, much easier path.

So, what to do.

I have reams of paper, articles, etc., on receive antennas, many of which are either a tangled mess of wires, require too much space, grounding is an issue, etc.

I came across articles by K6SE (sk), where Earl talks to a Pennant or Flag antenna. The antenna basically that I use is a FLAG which is 29 feet long, 14 feet tall rectangle. Simple enough.

The FLAG doesn't require miles of ground wire, in fact none. It requires two simple supports that get it 6-7 feet off the ground (vertically). You can get sections of fiberglass mast of Ebay for little to nothing and can erect, take down and store the sections (4-5 feet in length) or take with you.

On one end, you have the terminated side with a 950 or thereabout, ohm resistor (that is the "reflector" or back end of the antenna. On the other end, you have teh transformer (where you point the antenna) which is fed with coax.

I use the K1FZ KB5 transformer. I was using one from KD9SV which for some reason, wasn't hearing much at all. I think the ratio (9:1) is way off for the FLAG.

The KB5 is a match for FLAGs.

Does it work? Resounding, YES.
    Does it hear the DX spotted, obviously no as that is contingent upon location, propagation, etc.

You have to have a decent radio and I use my older FT-1000 which I tweak the Shift, Width, Notch, IPO, RF Gain, etc. to suit the receive signal. Really makes a big, big difference.

I also use the receive signal in DUAL watch which provides a somewhat "diversity" receive signal which too, makes a big big difference in hearing the signals.

I can't vouch for which antenna will work but for me, the FLAG is working much, much better then the transmit antenna, which I just can't pull the signals out of the noise all the time.

Key issue: Signal capture and noise reduction. The FLAG has low noise and hears the signal, even if no S-Meter reading.

I highly recommend anyone wanting to play on 160 and can't hear like myself, to use a FLAG antenna. Small, easy to make, cheap materials, and the only real cost is the transformer from K1FZ, coax to your shack, and mast material.

I moved my antenna away from my tower due to the resonant transmit antenna which will affect the receive capability of the FLAG.

Note: The FLAG is ground independent which means, whatever you "hang" it over, doesn't matter. You don't need radials, ground rods, etc. Just erect it and use it and point it where you need it.

I plan on working on mine to make it "rotatable" and yes, there are plans and examples of that too. For now, I am happy with the way mine is.

Check out this and many other URLs on the Pennant and FLAG antenna:

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband.../msg00122.html

My impression on the pennant or the K9AY is that a ground really is ideal for optimal performance. We had a K9AY array up at N3HBX with the standard ground stake ground system, and it was no better than the transceive antenna that we were using anyhow.
    -----> Take it to the system!

W0BKR Guest

Default Pennant Antenna / Flag Antenna

Regarding the Pennant or FLAG (same antenna, slightly different configuration): Read K6SE's (sk) comments:

The directional pattern of the Pennant is identical to the Ewe
    (cardioid). A major drawback to the Ewe is its extreme sensitivity to
    any change in the local soil conductivity, i.e., large differences in
    antenna size and termination resistance value for an optimum Ewe over
    different types of soil. This shortcoming of the Ewe was the primary
    reason the Pennant was developed.

The Pennant is very insensitive to the
    soil conditions as well as height above ground.

Also, WA1ION wrote:
    The Flag Antenna is in the family of terminated loops that can yield a cardioid (heart-shaped, single-direction null) pick-up pattern. Its name comes from its horizontal rectangular shape. Length of the upper and lower horizontal wire members is typically about 2 to 3 times the height of the two vertical sides. Original "relatives" include the Ewe antenna developed by Floyd Koontz, WA2WVL and Gary Breedís K9AY Loop. These rely to some extent on ground conductivity to perform at their best. A "ground independent " terminated loop concept was subsequently developed by Jose Mata Garriga, EA3VY and Earl Cunningham, K6SE. The Flag, Delta, Kaz, and Pennant antennas are in this category.

As you can see, the K9AY relies on soil conductivity and grounding, the FLAG and Pennant do not.

Lots of info out there, just have to filter thru it. But all in all, the FLAG is relatively small foot print and when properly installed, will help in receiving signals on 160 meters with noise present.

Fair enough.

W0BKR Guest

Default Good info out there..

From what I have read, the K9AY is different then the FLAG or Pennant. I am not an antenna expert but I don't see how something that small will receive as well as it does, but it does. I have tried teh coaxial loops with dismal results. They really need to be up in the air.

As to teh K9AY, I think it is a good antenna also, if you don't mind a tangle of wires and have a good ground situation. Unfortunately, where I live, the soil has so much rock and in my particular location, solid rock less then 18 inches under the soil so grounding, ground rods, etc. are nearly impossible to utilize.

One would think that a FLAG mounted horizontally, would hear better but the design is for vertically mounted.

Perhaps someone with EZNEC could run a model of the FLAG twice as long but same height to see what the results might be.

I used 16 gage wire in mine and perhaps larger gage would be better for the signal capture, but I wanted less noticeable aerials since being in the side yard and it works very well.

I may have to consider a pennant at home. Might be a good project before the Stew Perry this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have pre-amp - and I assume one is required.

K6SE did a LOT of good research on 160 DXing and contesting. His passing was a loss for low band afficianados.

What do you guys think of W8JI's small receive 4 square?

FWIW, I put up a Pennant last year and compared it to my 120 foot long, terminated "Beverage" (elevated 6 feet). Both oriented to Europe.

My short Beverage ran rings around the Pennant for Europe EVERY time. The Pennant was taken down.

paul

W0BKR Guest

Default K6SE (sk)

Quote Originally Posted by NN3W View Post
    I may have to consider a pennant at home. Might be a good project before the Stew Perry this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have pre-amp - and I assume one is required.

K6SE did a LOT of good research on 160 DXing and contesting. His passing was a loss for low band afficianados.
    Yeah, Earl was a gem. I know the community is missing him and his very valued tests and results.

I have been told to use the FLAG configuration as it for whatever reason, seems to perform much better or at least better, then the pennant. One tie off versus 2, really doesn't make a difference to me, but configuration wise, you have a big more wire and the enclosed area of the rectangle, has a larger signal capture area.

Either should work but for sure, either should be an improvement over just using the transmit antenna on receive.

W0BKR Guest

Default Preamp

Quote Originally Posted by NN3W View Post

Didn't use a preamp. Sensitivity of most radios now is sufficient. If you were talking a coaxial loop or BOG (Beverage on Ground) then a preamp would be required for sure. I don't use one and frankly, just brings up more noise to clutter the signal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast